All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Raw vegetables
      #9675 - 05/22/03 10:31 AM
Sindy

Reged: 05/22/03

Hi, this is my first post. I have been receiving the newsletter for awhile and enjoyed it tremendously, but never logged in. My question has to do with raw vegetables. I absolutely love vegetables raw, but have great difficulty and pain digesting them. I have tried to pre-steam some of them and then put them in the fridge for munching, but they do not taste as good. Anybody have any suggestions that may help me? Thanks.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Raw vegetables new
      #9685 - 05/22/03 12:03 PM
wac

Reged: 03/24/03
Loc: Casselberry, FL

I know raw veggies are an ABSOLUTE no no for me. Heather recommends pealing them, steaming or par boiling before eating. They don't taste good enough for me to go thru the pain of eating them (in my opinion). Since you love them - I would imagine pealing them first may make it a little better. Good luck!

Re: Raw vegetables new
      #9686 - 05/22/03 12:04 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Because raw veggies are so high in insoluble fiber, they're a really tough food for IBS. Cooking veggies breaks down and minimizes the effect of the insoluble fiber, and makes things much safer for IBS.

If you love them raw, the best thing to do is to have them in small quantities, chew them really well, and do not eat them on an empty stomach. Have a soluble fiber basis first, either from foods (rice, pasta, potatoes, white breads) or from a soluble fiber supplement (Citrucel, Equalactin, Benefiber, etc.)

This should help a bit, but I'd still be careful doing this if you've been having attacks. It's best to only do this when you've been stable.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 426 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 800

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review