All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Thai Restaurants
      #96337 - 08/07/04 07:43 PM
Rinny

Reged: 08/07/04
Loc: San Luis Obispo, California

Hi -- I've been reading the boards for quite awhile, but I've never posted a question. I've been really good/strict on my IBS diet lately and reaping the rewards. However, I've declined many invitations out. I really want to go to Thai food with my friends tomorrow but have no idea what's safe for me to eat (besides rice). I know what's UNSAFE...the ubiquitous siren song of the coconut milk. Any suggestions for safe thai food?
Thanks. Oh, what's up with the initial icons above the post? How do you decide which one to use? Just whatever you find pleasing or is there a rhyme or reason/rule and regulation?
-Rinny.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Thai Restaurants new
      #96344 - 08/07/04 07:53 PM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

Hi Rinny, and welcome to the boards!!

I don't have suggestions really, just wanted to say hi, and that I don't think there's any rhyme or reason to the icons. Just use the one that best describes your post. I'm sure someone will come along with a good answer to your question. Good luck!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

#96350 - 08/07/04 07:59 PM
CarinaK

Reged: 10/07/03
Loc: Texas

Baked fish (sauce on the side) and plain thai noodels.
Carrie

#96353 - 08/07/04 08:02 PM
Jayne in Japan

Reged: 07/14/04

Hi Rinny!! I can't help either, sorry but thought I'd say "Hi" too. I love Thai food but I can't eat it anymore. It always causes problems. Maybe safer to eat before you go out and then have a bowl of rice to be sociable when you are out. In Japan the Thai restaurants have raw spring rolls. I think they are actually Vietnamese. I don't know the correct English name but it's basically a spring roll (all the stuff inside is cooked) which hasn't been deep fried so the rice paper is raw. If you manage to find them on the menu then they should be safe. Have fun!

#96359 - 08/07/04 08:10 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Hi Rinny! I eat Thai quite often and cook it at home a lot. Asian food is generally easier for me to order at restaurants than American or Italian etc. If you are on the strict initial phase of what to eat when you can't eat anything else than rice and chicken of course but otherwise there are many things you can get. Just ask the waiter how stuff is prepared. Stir frys are great. Remember to take several bites of your rice before anything else. I did order a coconut milk based dish lately since it was the only thing at a restaurant that was 'safe-ish' (it was not a Thai restaurant). I had the waiter ask the chef how much coconut milk went in there and it was only a couple tablespoons for a whole big noodle dish. I was fine afterward. If you can choose something not too spicy that is good. Thai spice scales are kind of a joke since not very spicy is usually really spicy! and spicy is like burning hot! I guess I just want to say to make buddies with the waiter/waitress and say you have eating restrictions and then ask about the exact ingredients in the dishes. I hope it goes well.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#96401 - 08/07/04 10:27 PM
Rinny

Reged: 08/07/04
Loc: San Luis Obispo, California

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome and the advice. I think the hardest part for me right now is making my IBS known to the public and even to my friends (I'm just now "outing" myself)... so while your suggestions seem viable I'm having trouble picturing myself being assertive enough to start quizzing the waiter and drawing attention to myself in front of my friends. But I've started doing this little by little...and I've found that if I hide my IBS I can't keep to the diet. So, I need to do this! And I need to live a relatively normal life. And I need to be social (I already tend to be too private a person and as I'm sure everyone agrees, the IBS makes you want to become a more isolated person). So, I'll take your suggestions, take a deep breath, and just do it. Thanks.
-R

#96414 - 08/07/04 10:57 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Spring Rolls are pretty good, but make sure you remove the green onion they put in them (in my experience). It's usually raw and onions are HARD to digest.

There are a lot of Thai dishes you can get with Tofu. I would suggest asking for a tofu stir fry as well. I'm usually able to tolerate Thai pretty well as long as I keep it simple. It helps that I'm a vegetarian though.

Welcome to the boards! In my experience you just pick which ever icon you want to use. Unlike a lot of boards you're not likely to get in trouble for much (unless you post a surly post about Atkins and why we're all crazy for eating carbs. That sets people off. )

#96470 - 08/08/04 08:10 AM
JBI

Reged: 01/25/04
Loc: BC, Canada

I really enjoy Thai food and it can be very IBS safe, however the problem as at most restuarants, you never really know what gets put it in. If you explain that you can't eat certain foods and ask what is in the food most places are usually good at telling you.

Each restaurant is different, the place I normally go I get Phad Thai then ask them to not put egg in it. This is usually ok, however I dod think it's probably a little high in fat and I'll often eat too much cause it's SO good

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1805 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 904

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review