All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Want to be a vegetarian, any advice please???
      #95575 - 08/04/04 01:22 PM
Niki J

Reged: 07/20/04
Loc: UK

I used to eat processed meat and fish products for my main meals such as chicken burgers in bread crumbs things like that, tonight I made turkey spaghetti bolognese and although I found the tomato sauce yummy (it was homemade by me!) I realised I don't like fresh meat anymore. I've never been a huge meat eater anyway, when we used to have roast dinners would literally have a few bites of meat and the rest would be roast potatoes, yorkshire puddings and veggies. I was quite happy eating that way.
I have a big pack of chicken breasts in the freezer & will need to it out to cook tomorrow, but just the thought of having them I just know I don't want them , when I think of them I just think its too much I dont want them.
I love fish but again in small amounts, I dont have a problem with fish meals at all.

So I guess what I am saying is, now I am not hardly eating convenience meats and have tried to convert to fresh, I dont want them.

If I go veggie Im worried what can I eat? Im not very adventurous with my taste buds I like quite traditional meals, nothing spicey and what about protein will I be missing vital nutrients???

I tried going veggie before I loved it actually but spent most of the time eating prepared veggie things like veggie burgers which I still have they are quite low in fat just full of rice, and vegetables, yummy, I also love veggie puffs, they are filo pastry beds with a lovely tomato and emmental cheese topping mmm LOL!
Is it ok to eat these kinds of foods? I know that I should avoid high fat ones.
Can anyone recommend what I should do next and any recipes I can try???
I wont give up fish but I think I will meat.

Thanks
Niki
xxx

Edited by Niki J (08/05/04 03:47 AM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Hi Niki new
      #95584 - 08/04/04 01:41 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Going vegetarian shouldn't be much of a problem at all. I know there's a few people around here on the board who are vegetarian, and I'm sure they'll weigh in with any additional advice for you as far as nutrition goes.

I'm not sure what products you can get over there, but the Morningstar Farms soy-based "meats" are delicious. Some of them are a little higher in fat, such as the breaded "chicken" patties (my favorite! they taste just like chicken!!), but they're still all quite a bit lower than their meat equivalents. They have burgers, nuggets, breakfast sausages (also very good!) and more. Boca Burgers are also good, if you can find them.

Oh wait... I just saw that you've already been veggie once. Haha, sorry about that - you probably already know about all that stuff, then. Just watch out for the fats, and if you're concerned about getting enough protein, go with soy- or bean-based patties (rather than, say, Gardenburgers, which I think are mostly rice and vegetables, if I remember correctly).

If you find the right meat substitutes (a health-food store can probably help), you can substitute vegetarian options in a lot of meat-based recipes. I also look over on VegWeb a lot for inspiration.

Good luck!

Re: Hi Casey new
      #95587 - 08/04/04 01:51 PM
Niki J

Reged: 07/20/04
Loc: UK

Hi Casey
Are you a veggie?? Thanks for your advice!
Niki
xxx

Re: Hi Casey new
      #95596 - 08/04/04 02:09 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Not currently, but I have been in the past and I'm in the process of trying to go vegan.

My problem right now is that I can't seem to tolerate soy or egg whites (another good protein source, by the way!), so I'm still mostly getting my protein from chicken and fish. But I'm working on it. I don't know if I'll ever be able to TOTALLY give up seafood (love my shrimp and lobster!), but I'm looking forward to giving up poultry.

I know. More than you needed to know, really.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 769 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 418

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review