All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Breaking the cycle - questions, questions, questions
      #9499 - 05/20/03 03:59 PM
Corinne

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

When you are breaking the cycle so to speak, can you put anything with the soluble fibre? Dry bread is so awful. Is honey or something like that ok? Or a tiny bit of margarine? It's hard to stay focused even for a few days with such a diet. Can you stick with any of those foods listed for times you are sick like dry cereals? How about baked tostidos?

--------------------
If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Breaking the cycle - questions, questions, questions new
      #9502 - 05/20/03 04:31 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

If you are feeling better after a few days on bland by all means carefully add things to your diet. You should not stay on the bland for more than a day or two. I find it zaps my energy if I do. Try honey, seedless jam a WEE bit of light peanut butter on your toast. Try "mushy" veggies like carrots, squash, sweet potatoes, potatoes, etc.
The idea is to slowly and safely reincorporate more foods. Listen to your body and take it slow.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#9505 - 05/20/03 04:38 PM
Corinne

That's sort of what I thought. I was doing pretty good till my son got sick (he's 17 months) and we spent 6 days in the hospital. Since then I've had two very bad attacks with severe D. I take imodium at those times and can make it the rest of the day but I really want to be healed and not have to worry about these attacks. Any other suggestions?

--------------------

#9509 - 05/20/03 04:59 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

baked tostitos work great for me! Also, rice cakes and saltine crackers. yumyumyum

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#9512 - 05/20/03 05:06 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I have a 20 month old son so I understand where you are at. Try peppermint tea, or ginger, or fennel, or chamomile. Peppermint has helped me so much. Remember, you're under a lot of stress - I spent 2 days in the hospital when my son was only 8 weeks old!!!! I know how worried you must have been. Try to relax, and eat carefully. Are you taking a fibre supplement? Tons of info on this website about that.
There is no "complete heal" with IBS, but you can learn to keep your symptoms under control. It takes time and trial and error, but you will hopefully get to a point where you don't have to worry so much about where the next bathroom is.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#9544 - 05/20/03 08:36 PM
Corinne

Thanks for that bit of hope. That's my main goal. I want to be able to go shopping and not worry or to go camping or to some tourist places. My husband and I love to sight see but it's quite difficult when you are worried about finding the bathroom all the time.

I am taking a fibre supplement and at the moment am backing off to just soluble fibre for a couple of days. I am going to start yoga as soon as I can get the book from the library. And I LOVE peppermint tea. So does my husband. I make pots at a time and if there is any left I put it into the fridge for a quick warm up whenever I need one. It's so nice to find a place like this for advice and to share our stories. It's nice to know I'm not alone.

--------------------

#9546 - 05/20/03 08:38 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - HansSolo is right, the breaking the cycle guidelines are meant for short term use only. It is just to give your body a break, get your GI tract full of soluble fiber, and get you stable. It is very boring, and not something healthy for the long term. But it should get you stabilized very quickly (within a few days) and then you can start to incorporate other foods back in while staying stable.

You can add things to flavor toast, pasta, rice, etc. Just make sure there's no fat or trigger foods, so I'd avoid margarine and peanut butter and such. A bit of honey is fine, marmalade or seedless jams, soy sauce or teriyaki sauce on rice, some Mrs. Dash or seasoned salt on pasta, etc. The idea is just to give your GI tract constant small amounts of soluble fiber foods (and supplements), along with the helpful herbal teas, so you stabilize.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Thanks so much. NT new
      #9548 - 05/20/03 08:41 PM
Corinne

--------------------

#9553 - 05/20/03 10:01 PM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

when I have a lot of trouble I rely on my breads and rice porridge soup for breakfast. Iusually have half a bagel ith a touch of butter or jam and that helps my stomach settle down and although I don't like bread too much on an empty stomach, if I have enough of it and space my water out it really helps.

#9554 - 05/20/03 10:03 PM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

Hi CORRINE: THAT IS WHAT WE ARE HERE FOR .NT

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2107 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1080

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review