Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
heat + humidity + beer + me = D and pain
      #94939 - 08/01/04 12:37 PM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

Aaargh!
Went to a birthday party yesterday. Of course it was outside in the sweltering heat. I promised myself to stay away from beer, even though I have been stable and the only problems I have had with beer is bloating.
Well, while everyone was tapping into the keg. I kept sipping water. Than I let myself get suckered into playing beer pong, and it's no fun if you don't drink! My BF offered to fill my cups up with a safer drink, like my Schmirnoff Ice, but I refused to look like a weirdo or wuss infront of the people there that I didn't know.
Big mistake.
He had to rush me home, where I wound up sitting on the toilet in pain.
Atleast it was a lame party anyway.
At least I have a reason to stay away from beer for good now. Stinks cause I love the taste of it.
Well, you live and learn. It seems like anytime I start to stray from the diet I get sick. Luckily I felt better later to go back to the party, and the people there were pretty understanding, especially one girl that has IBS and knows I have it. I don't know if she is a D or a C, since we never talked about it in length. It is also an awkward conversation to bring up to, especially at social gatherings
lesson learned- no more beer! Not worth the amount of pain, that was probably close to the worst IBS pain I have ever had.
The things I do to myself! I think I needed to be grounded and realize that I am not invincible, afterall.

--------------------
-Sheri

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: heat + humidity + beer + me = D and pain new
      #94943 - 08/01/04 12:48 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Sorry about your day but good for you to have a new determination. It is sad when people have something they really love that they have to give up. Several people I know with tummy problems love to drink, especially at restaurants and I feel bad telling them that alcohol would have to be given up for them to feel better like me. That sucks! My thing is cheese and ice cream but it doesn't bother me too much. I know how you feel Sheri about feeling left out and weird when you don't drink what everyone else does. Personally I have never had a beer since the smell disgusts me but I do feel strange ordering water at restaurants.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: heat + humidity + beer + me = D and pain new
      #96739 - 08/09/04 09:58 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Hey, I know exactly what you're talking about. It's happened to me many times. Heat is a trigger for me too, and the beer just adds gas power to D. What I do is load up on immodium advanced (with simethicone which nutralizes gas) BEFORE I down that first beer. I usually take 3-4, then maybe a couple more if I get ANY tummy pains. Take it BEFORE your tummy starts rumbling-- after then, it's too late.

I also understand that it's not about giving up a trigger, it's about refusing to annex yourself socially. There's nothing I want more than to be normal. We shouldn't be have to have the "why I feel sick" conversation over and over, especially around social or work friends.

Good luck,

~nel~

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5796 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 334

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review