Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
What to do for pain?
      #94464 - 07/30/04 08:48 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi all,
MY IBS has come back to me in a nasty way this last few days, and I am trying all this stuff I know to do for the D but this time it has also come back with a lot of pain.
Pain was never really a problem for me, just more discomfort with cramping and only OCCASIONALLY would I get this really extreme ache from under my ribcage, down past my belly button..
Well, now I've had that for like 3 days. I'm not sure what it is, or how to deal with it. It's the only thing I am clueless for. When it was happening occasionally, the only thing I could do was lay on my stomach, on a heating pad and just wait it out. Herbal teas, anti-spasmodics and peppermint caps didn't do anything to ease it up _at all_. It also used to to come at night times, but now it's been bothering me all day. I just took a peppermint capsule, to see if that might help this time around but no change so far.
It's quite hard to deal with 'cause the only time I feel any slight relief is belly down on the bed, and I can't exactly lie down on a heating pad in the middle of my office at work! Luckily I had today off, but if it is still there come Monday, I'll be up so-and-so creek without a paddle!
Paddles, anyone?
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Huh... new
      #94473 - 07/30/04 09:01 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I'm not sure. My standard treatment for any kind of pain now is the heating pad, but like you've said, that's not exactly practical when you're not at home. This is going to sound silly, but have you tried a painkiller of any kind? They don't always work for me, but every now and then, they do. (Unless it feels more like a gas-type-pain, in which case I wouldn't bother.)

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful!

Re: Huh... new
      #94475 - 07/30/04 09:09 AM
Stephie

Hiya,
I thought about taking a pain killer but I wasn't sure... First, I dunno if it's gas pains or not... I don't have bad gas, or anything but I guess if it's hurting 'cause it's all trapped in there somewhere I wouldn't... And I tried taking WindEase (nice name, huh?) which is supposed to, and I quote (sorta), "disperses the tiny bubbles without the risk of embarassment" hee hee... IBS is so gross... Ha ha.
Anywho, I know I can't take ibuprofen 'cause it'll hurt tummy and we don't have tylenol in England.. but we have something called paracetemol which I think is tylenol... Not sure. Scared.
Am gonna drink 2 cups of fennel tea now and see if that helps.
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Re: Huh... new
      #94484 - 07/30/04 09:24 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I know... IBS is gross... it still surprises me that I talk about it on a public message board.

Have you tried tummy massage? If it *is* gas, that might help move it along... it was suggested to me for C, but I found it worked a lot better on the trapped gas.

I'm not sure if paracetemol is tylenol... I know that the generic of tylenol here is acetominophen, so maybe it isn't? Dunno. Just try one to start... but hopefully you'll be ok.

Good luck!

Thanks kme! -nt- new
      #94487 - 07/30/04 09:31 AM
Stephie

--------------------
IBS-D,pain.

Re: What to do for pain? new
      #94509 - 07/30/04 10:08 AM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

What about those little heating pads they sell to put in your underwear? I don't remember what they're called, but you can get them at the drugstore. That way you can get the relief from heat without the huge pad.

I hope you feel better and don't even need to worry about it!

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

Re: What to do for pain? new
      #94510 - 07/30/04 10:11 AM
MissyB

Reged: 07/22/04

I know you can't lay face down on your desk, but you COULD use the Thermacare Heat patches at work . They are like a big bandage and would not be noticable under your clothes, you could just stick one right on where it hurts and no one would be the wiser! I used to use them for menstral cramps (But I have them no more, BOO-YA,, lol) and thought they were very helpful. I never tried them for IBS, but will give it a shot if I need too...Missyb

Yes, these were what I meant. -nt- new
      #94514 - 07/30/04 10:15 AM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

Where do they go? new
      #94516 - 07/30/04 10:18 AM
Stephie

I only ask 'cause if they go quite low, like for period pain, I dunno if they'd work 'cause the pain is higher up than that... although maybe the heat there would help it higher up anyway... hmm, it's worth a shot! I'll look for some next time I am round the drugstore
--Steph

--------------------
IBS-D,pain.

Re: What to do for pain?
      #94528 - 07/30/04 10:27 AM
shoefly21

Reged: 07/27/04

The thermacare heat packs work great for my tummy pain. I take an anti-spasmodic Rx for the real bad days called Levsin (it is Hyoscyamine). Don't let them give you Nulev though, it didn't work as well for me. NuLev is also Hyoscyamine. The Levsin is a miracle drug for me. Take care!

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1814 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2035

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review