All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Recovery Time?
      #92726 - 07/24/04 02:33 AM
whatever10303

Reged: 07/19/04
Loc: PA, USA

I have spent time reading the stories of hope on this message board. Thanks to all of you for your honesty and willingness to share intimate experiences. I am new to this board, but not new to ibs-d. I have had it for 13 years (documented) but probably had it since birth !

Whereas I have previously controlled my ibs-d through lifestyle choices, I have had an awful year and feel like I've lost my way. Not to be maudlin, but since Sept, I have miscarried, then in unrelated incidents, lost my pastor and my best friend. Naturally my ibs kicked in and I gained 40 pounds on saltines, goldfish, mashed potatoes and the like.

Right now I'm recovering from a battery of very invasive tests given just to "reassure me" that it's not something serious. Personally, I consider vomiting, D, reflux, cramps and rectal bleeding serious, but hey that's just me. I'm sure there is an archive thread on the joys of the medical community that I should look up too!

I want so much to be healthy and able to have more good days than bad.I have read Heather's book and have just begun the diet including all of the fiber, teas and supplements.

I would love it if even just a few people let me know how long it took for your transition to occur. I know that everyone is different, but I'm sure there are similarities too. Right now I am in a really bad way. I'm so fatigued and dehydrated and ...well you get the picture.

I appreciate all of your help, Thanks

--------------------
The desire accomplished is sweet to the soul.
Proverbs 13:19

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

whatever10303 new
      #92743 - 07/24/04 07:21 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Hi, Whatever! I have to laugh every time I see your screen name because one of our teenage sons says, "Whatever" everytime anyone says something to him. One Christmas we even found a t-shirt that said, "WHATEVER" on it and gave it to him ---and he wore it all the time.
What's the story behind the "Whatever" name for you? Just curious! And did I see you are a college professor? What do you teach?
I'm sorry you've had such a bad year. Surely things will get better for you. At least you found this message board. You've come to a great place for support.

Re: Recovery Time? new
      #92745 - 07/24/04 07:25 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Hi! I've seen your posts here and there, but I don't think I've said "welcome" yet, so... welcome!

You've probably seen me babbling in other posts and know that I'm not stable yet, but I've improved quite a bit from where I was a month ago, so I thought I'd reply. I still have bad days, but the good days are slowly increasing in number. I've been on the diet since the end of May... about 7 weeks. I was always a D, but when I started the diet and gave up caffeine, I became an A. I do still sometimes have D, but the attacks don't last as long as they used to, and I never have liquid D anymore. (I know, this is TMI, heh.) Even though I still have attacks, I do consider it an improvement. But this only happened very recently, so if you've just started the diet, do hang in there and stick with it, you WILL feel better!

If you don't want to answer this, that's fine - I don't need to know - but considering the stresses of the past year, have you (or have you considered) talking to a therapist? Honestly? The diet and everything aside, seeing a therapist has been the best thing I've ever done for the way I feel, mentally and physically. Now, my case might be a little different, of course, but if you have the means, it can't hurt to try. There's a definite connection between the brain and the gut, and stress and emotional upset (which you've certainly had!) can definitely aggravate IBS. Again, I don't mean any harm by suggesting - just a passing thought on what's working (so far!) for me. Disregard if it doesn't work for ya.

Oh, the joys of the medical community... you DO NOT even want me to get started on that one!! Even my therapist has said that pretty much every doctor I've ever gone to for gut-related ailments can be accused of malpractice, so you can just guess what my stories are like.

Anyway, right now... it worries me that you're dehydrated. (Fatigued isn't good either, but that will pass, trust me.) Are you taking any kind of pepto/imodium/etc? If your body can handle it, a dose might be a good idea to help you immediately. Keep water with you *at all times* - I find room-temperature to cool better than cold - and sip on it slowly. Peppermint tea is lovely, but if you have reflux, be careful how much you take, as mint can actually make reflux/heartburn worse - I can only handle a cup a day, so I basically only drink it immediately post-attack now. I also found that, when I was REALLY sick, I couldn't eat most of what was on the "what to eat when you can't eat anything" list - I had to stick with saltines and plain rice in small quantities, and that's IT. It's not terribly nutritious, but for a day or so, it's better than not eating anything at all - which is another bad cycle to get into (and trust me, I'm speaking from personal experience on that one).

Ok, now I'm officially rambling... I hope you're feeling a *little* better today! Get your water, or some ginger tea, grab a trashy novel, and rest up!

Re: Recovery Time? new
      #92747 - 07/24/04 07:38 AM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

Hi Whatever, welcome to the boards.

The diet is the best thing you an be doing for your body right now. I can't remember if you are taking a sfs? It was a great help to me when I first as started, I don't take it right now, just haven't found one that I can agree with.

I couldn't have said it any better than Casey, except for the fact that it is going to get better. In the first month, I coudln't believe how much better I was feeling and the fact that I wasn't eating foods that hurt me made a huge difference. The coffee, beef, and dairy were the culprits. Though I do not eat anything fried, ever. I am now able to eat things like Mexican (my fav), and a little salad after my meals. I also take Levsin/Hyoscyamine for the cramping and gas, I take one timed release cap every day.

I hope I may have helped you, hope you start feeling better soon. I also went to therapy and can't say enough wonderful things about it. I am so sorry for the losses you have suffered this year !

So sorry.... new
      #92751 - 07/24/04 08:40 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi,

I'm so sorry your are going through such a rough time. I really think you have come to the right place for some help and support. I thought Casey's advice was very good.

My IBS-D is mainly from stress which triggers my stomach. There are also some trigger foods and things like sorbitol, HFCS, etc that I have to watch out for. I am taking Librax which relaxes me and relaxes my stomach so when I eat my stomach is not tied up in knots. It has really helped me. You take it 30 min before a meal. I also take Immodium for "D" --- Phazyme for gas---Pepto for nausea(which I get a lot from stress).

Some of your symptoms like vomiting (which could be stress related) and rectal bleeding(could be hemmoroids(sp) are not usually signs of IBS.
I know you have had a lot of tests done...have they come back with results yet?

Do you have someone you can talk to about your recent losses? I know it helps me to talk and get it all out.

I do think you need to drink fluids for you dehydration immediately.
Also, try to stay with the safe foods and if you need a little protein and can tolerate it try a little peanut butter. Maybe chicken noodle soup would be another good thing to try.

I'm sorry I couldn't be more help and I hope you will start to feel better soon.

Barbie

--------------------

you are all so nice! new
      #92804 - 07/24/04 01:05 PM
whatever10303

Thanks for the sweet welcome to the board. In answer to your question, beaglelover, "whatever" has been my favorite expression since college. I'm very relaxed...on the outside! Everyone thinks I'm laid back, but I really just can't bear conflict, so I say, "whatever" when there is a difference of opinion. (probably contribution #1 to ibs)

Thank you, atomicrose for being sensitive enough to suggest a therapist. I do see a counselor, a pshychiatrist for meds and belong to a terrific Bible study. Sometimes though I think talking to other ibs sufferers is the best because no one wants to hear about the big D!

So far the diet, etc. has helped my d and therefore the ulcerated hemmoroid has had a chance to heal. The tests merely showed GERD, gastritis, ileocecal valve syndrome (see my post on phantom syndome) and an underlying case of ibs-d. It was a weird and awful feeling wishing the drs. would find something big and terrible so that they could actually cure me. Everytime a test came back negative, I felt more frightened about my future, not relieved.There's one for my therapist, huh !

Thanks for the timelines you gave. It helps to be realistic and have hope.

--------------------

Re: you are all so nice! new
      #92828 - 07/24/04 03:49 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

You didn't tell me what you teach.

Welcome whatever 10303....................... new
      #92837 - 07/24/04 06:09 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

Yeah another PA'r. Where abouts are you from in PA? I'm in between Allentown and Philadelphia.

I just joined this site last month and found it so very helpful too. It is so nice to have other people relate to you. I've finally convinced my husband that there are other people out there like me and that I'm not the only one who suffers with this terrible problem. Even though my mother and my sister have IBS too you tend to think it's just hereditary and that just our family had it but to see so many other people with the same issues and worries is so comforting.

I too went through some lab tests and a flexible sigmoidoscopy when I was 21 and since they found nothing they gave me the IBS diagnosis. Which, like you said is a good and bad thing. I kinda wanted them to say ok this is what is wrong and we have a solution for you. Instead they gave you the line of crap about how to eat more fiber, watch eating this, watch eating that and OH don't forget...try to have less stress in your life. Yeah right . No wonder you have stress...having a set of twins? That's enough to put you over the deep end when they were first born huh!

I lost two friends this past year to cancer too and it was hard. Believe it or not my IBS stayed steady though. I'm the kind of person that can handle through the stress at the time of the stress then BAM just when I'm not expecting it, delayed reaction, my IBS would then kick in. I'm also the opposite of you though, I can't eat. I loose weight and it stinks cause it takes me FOREVER to gain it back!

You can't let it take over your life! Don't let it beat you. There are many a times I cried with frustration over it cause I couldn't be normal and eat and socialize like everyone else for fear of my IBS> I've since gottent he attitude that this is how my life is and I have to live with it.

Hang in there! Hope everyone's input is helping.

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Re: you are all so nice! new
      #92863 - 07/25/04 06:08 AM
whatever10303

I teach teachers how to incorporate the computer into the classroom. One of the first courses I taught years ago was "intro to the internet" - isn't that funny to think of? Before I had my daughters, I taught first grade full time and was the director of the district's tech. institute. Back then (5-10yrs ago)I held classes like "what is email?" and "Macintosh for beginners". It's funny to think of the learning curve that now my five year olds could ace those classes and it was all so new to us then.

--------------------

Re: Welcome whatever 10303....................... new
      #92879 - 07/25/04 07:12 AM
whatever10303

Nice to meet you, too Littlelis I live in Horsham which is 20 minutes north of Phila. and 20 minutes south of Doylestown.

In regards to the weight thing, I have such a funny dr. story. After my colonoscopy, I was coming out of the anesthesia when the gi dr came to tell me his findings. My sister had taken me to the procedure so she was listening and taking notes and I was just focusing on not "expelling the air" he had pumped into my colon. In the middle of his diagnosis he says, "I don't think you have Crohn's disease because you'd be a lot thinner...blah blah blah". Well I bust up laughing and turned to my sister and said, "Did he just call me fat?" She laughed politely, looked at the dr.and reassured him "it's just the anesthesia talking".

From then on my sister and I always use the expression, "Well I don't think it's (insert problem) because you'd be a lot thinner"!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 630 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2195

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review