Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
What do you eat on an average day??
      #92275 - 07/22/04 09:24 AM
Niki J

Reged: 07/20/04
Loc: UK

Hi All
I am very new to the IBS diet and am struggling, I either eat too little or too much. I've been reading previous posts about portion sizes which have been helpful but I thought it would be very helpful to find out what others here eat on an average day, it'll give me an idea of what to buy at the supermarket this weekend!
Thanks
Niki
xxx

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What do you eat on an average day?? new
      #92279 - 07/22/04 09:42 AM
mspaschal259

Reged: 05/28/04
Loc: North Carolina , USA

Welcome! Just wanted to say hi.. I'm kinda new at this diet but boy does it help. I do pretty well with white rice, baked potatoes, chicken and turkey, oatmeal every morning with cinnamon and sugar and sometimes peaches in it. Rice chex,corn chex,cheerios,kix,honey comb,and corn pops cereals with soy milk, or just eat it dry from a portable container , like a snack. Peppermint tea is good with honey in the mornings, my husband even likes it. Lot's of water all day long. Smoothies are good too. Bananas with strawberries, soy milk and some honey blended up together are very tasty. Sour dough english muffins have been good toated with a dab of jelly. Put vegetables with a meal, but eat a plain baked potato w/ it, and sour dough roll. Here are just some of my ideas. Hope it helps.

--------------------
-----Marilyn-----

#92282 - 07/22/04 09:46 AM
mspaschal259

Reged: 05/28/04
Loc: North Carolina , USA

Oh and pastas are great to keep on hand. Applesauce is good too. I know when you go grocery shopping it's hard to know what to buy. I have listed just somethings I keep on hand at home. Then you can mix it up however you want for each days meals. Also eat about 6 small meals try not to over load.
Hope this helps..

--------------------
-----Marilyn-----

Eating, eating, eating!! new
      #92286 - 07/22/04 10:13 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hello!
First of all, welcome to the boards as I haven't seen you around here before and congrats on starting the new diet. I really hope you see some good results from it, I think you probably will.
As for eating suggestions and what to buy at the supermarket, my most helpful suggestion (or what was most helpful to me anyway) is to stock up on easily transportable snack-type foods. Because I don't like to eat 3 big meals a day (and we're not supposed to anyway) I find having lots of safe snack foods around really helpful for always having something in my tummy (if I go to long without eating, I get really nauseous.. dunno about you) without putting a ton of stuff into an empty tummy, which makes me feel all crampy and bloated.
I normally have some white toast or French bread in the morning with honey, and a handful or so of dry cereal (I know corn pops and honey combs are safe, there is a list somewhere of safe snack foods you should look up that's really helpful.. if only I could remember where it was.. Do a search for it maybe? Or somebody else might see this, know where it is, and be able to point you to it). For lunch I usually have a sandwich (white bread, turkey breast.. extra light mayo.. you sort of have to guess and test what works for you.. Subway sandwiches can be safe if you stick to the rules) or a wrap (chicken wraps = yummy)with pretzels and either water or cranberry juice (the only safe juice for me). That's if I am at work and need 'transportable' foods. If I am at home, I can obviously be a little more versatile and actually cook stuff.. Sometimes I make noodles (there are some awesome sauce recipes on the recipe board) or rice dishes with some veg, or pasta.
For dinner, I usually have either chicken or turkey (or go veg) and always have some sort of soluble fiber with it (first preferably) with some sort of veg.
My portions at meals aren't that big now, as like I said, I am eating through the day. I snack on pretzels a lot, dry cereal, baked potato chips, rice cakes, I found some safe cereal bars that don't bother me in an apple flavour.. etc, etc. I also try and drink lots of water and herbal teas throughout the day. Oooh, and peppermint candies and sometimes little candies like gummy bears and those sorts of thing if I think my tummy is doing particularly well.

So yeah, I would take a browse through the recipe board.. there are SO MANY recipes I am dying to try, but need to wait 'til I move out of my boyfriend's folks house and back to Canada to actually have my own kitchen and some freedom to cook what/when I want! If you are able, you'll probably find loads of good ideas.
PLUS I think finding that snacks list will be really beneficial 'cause it lists tons of safe foods for 'on the go' so they are easy to make (or come ready made most of 'em) and you can pack along with you.
Good luck, I hope this helps!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

#92294 - 07/22/04 11:00 AM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

I think the other posts gave good advice! When I started the diet though, I ate off of the 'What to eat when you can't eat anything' list for about 2-3 weeks. That was VERY boring, but my stomach couldn't handle anything else. Then I started adding in meat - chicken and fish. Now I eat turkey a lot. It gets easier, I'm still struggling a little and trying to find good recipes - but it does get easier. You can do anything with ground turkey that you used to do with ground beef...may not taste exactly the same, but you get used to it and it's healthier anyways!

An average day - I eat egg whites and turkey sausage in the morning (I used to eat oatmeal EVERYDAY for a few months and then I started getting sick from over-doing it), for lunch I usually eat a veggie dog with soy yogurt and baked chips, and for dinner I make a lot of the recipes off the recipe board - there are a lot of good chicken recipes. I don't do great with vegetables, I have to eat them in REALLY small amounts, and with white rice. Honestly I don't eat them very often because I'm scared...but I am still trying.

And I don't just eat 3 meals a day - I eat at about 10:00 in the morning - like a Nature's Choice bar, or mangoes (you can even just buy the dried ones with sugar if you can tolerate sugar)...and around 3:00 I eat something too - like a Luna bar, applesauce, pretzals, or candy. I can tolerate candy really well - some people can't.

Good luck!
~Cara

--------------------
~Cara~

Re: Wow thanks for all the suggestions and the welcomes! new
      #92299 - 07/22/04 11:11 AM
Niki J

Reged: 07/20/04
Loc: UK

You all have really given me some great ideas!
I'll go and check out that snack list too!
Thanks
Niki
xxx

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2351 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 757

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review