All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Stool Softeners vs. Laxatives
      #91653 - 07/19/04 07:51 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I posted a bit of something along these lines a few days ago, but I just had a few more questions, I hope no one minds.

I'm a D who's actually getting quite C because of being on percocets. Normally I wouldn't touch a laxative with a 10-foot pole but obviously if the drugs and going to cause major C, I may have to intervene somehow. The pharmacist gave me a stool softener, said that would be the best thing to take given my history and bowel problems as it's the gentlest option.

I've read through previous posts on other alteratives (hot drinks with lemon etc) but I just want to know what people think of the stool softener option if things get desperate. I can't do an enema, I had a really bad experience with them as a child and just cannot go there again.

Thanks,
Kelly

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Stool Softeners vs. Laxatives new
      #91657 - 07/19/04 08:06 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

If the pharmacist knows your medical history and says that the stool softeners are the gentlest option, I'd go with that. Honestly, I think I'm a medical freak or something - I'm the only person I've ever heard of having problems with stool softeners. Most people can take them with no problems, and I would definitely do a softener before a stimulant laxative. Just remember to drink lots of water once you've taken them.

The lemon-water thing, by the way, was more of a preventative than a fix... I don't remember now if that was ever mentioned in that discussion. So if you're already C because of the percs, it probably wouldn't do much immediate good anyway.

Enemas are degrading and horrible. Bad experience or not, I don't blame you one bit for not going there.

Thanks Casey new
      #91660 - 07/19/04 08:10 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Thanks for your advice...who knows, I could run into trouble with the stool softeners but there's no end in sight in terms of taking the percs, and sometimes you're just out of options y'know?

And I agree whole heartedly on the enemas, my parents had to give me a few when I was young (I don't remember why) and I think it seriously screwed me up.

Kelly

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3498 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 549

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review