Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Advice about drug-related constipation
      #91321 - 07/18/04 02:05 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey Guys,

I need some advice about the big C. I'm a D and so I'm not used to dealing with this, I used to be A but for the last five months of so I've had consistent D.

Anyways, the doc has put me on percocets and I think I'm starting to get constipated. I haven't gone to the bathroom since Thursday, which I assume isn't too bad given that I'm not eating a lot of food, but still I'm starting to get concerned.

My question is, how long is too long? And what can I do to "help things along?" I'm still taking my fiber, but I can't get many insolubles into me because I'm still on a mostly bread and water diet, with the Acacia. I'm going to talk to the doctor about a stool softener or something...but any advice would be great I'm out of my element here.

Thanks,
Kelly

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Advice about drug-related constipation new
      #91337 - 07/18/04 04:08 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Well, if you have some time on your hands and feel like picking through a bunch of replies, I posed a similar question a few weeks ago. See here. One of the suggestions was a cup of hot water with a bit of lemon juice every morning. (Not much lemon juice; I don't think it would bother your reflux.) If you're still a little leery of the acidity of the juice, I have an herbal that suggests honey instead of lemon.

When I end up C, I usually don't start to really worry until I've gone 5 or 6 days, unless I'm in a lot of pain. At the 7 or 8-day point, though, I go for a glycerin suppository, if all else fails. Since you're not eating much, I wouldn't be *too* worried yet, but you're right, it's definitely something to keep an eye on.

As an A, be careful with stool softeners... have you ever used them before? I used to use docusate sodium (Colace), on the recommendation of a doctor, and found it gives me AWFUL cramps and sometimes D. I stick with the suppositories now, thanks.

Re: Advice about drug-related constipation new
      #91340 - 07/18/04 04:21 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Thanks Casey,
I read through some of the posts and particularily enjoyed the ones about the trigger foods...that's what I've been thinking of doing, I would pretty much bet that if I had a steaming cup of coffee (or maybe an iced cappuncino ) that I'd be home free (so to speak). But with all the pain I've been having, I suppose that might not be such a good idea.

Thanks for the link though, alot of the suggestions were helpful, I'll have to give them a try.

Don't you hate it when it seems like your whole life revolves around your bowels? GRRRR

Kelly

YES!! new
      #91341 - 07/18/04 04:25 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I am FOREVER telling people I know that they don't know how lucky they are... I'm so tired of my life revolving around BMs that don't happen, happen too much, or might happen at the worst possible times.

The trigger foods are mighty tempting, but I'd be really careful of anything coffee, with your stomach the way it's been, heh.

Oh, to be normal... SIGH.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6219 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 574

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review