All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
A voice from the past needs help please
      #91308 - 07/18/04 01:20 PM
broná

Reged: 10/28/03

Hi.

It's been a while since my last visite, there are so many reasons for this that it would take up too much space, i was also without a pc until yesterday.

I've had so many problems since i was here last, i could really do with your help, i will try to keep my post brief as possible.

I have IBS, constipation, etc etc, i had everything under control with the help that i got from here until about 6 months ago when everything flared up with a vengence, mostly my own fault, and you know, i didn't realise how well i felt when i was doing this program.

My acid reflux got so bad that i had to have the scope down twice on different occasions, and told to stay on Nexium, my cholestrol raised to the moon and is still high, i take Lipitor (never felt well on this med)from time to time.

Last year i had an ultrasound done on my bladder because i started to have Bladder Spasms, the pressure can be so bad that it would bring me to my knees and i might not pass much urine, nothing showed up thank god, so i'm wondering if that is related to IBS, can anyone identify with this problem, or i'm wondering if it is Menopause related?

I also have severe painful spasms under my left rib cage and i'm sure it is related to the wrong food that i'm eating.
As i said i'm totally off track and can't get back.

I am 56lbs overweight, 53 years of age,going through Menopause and the symptoms that go with that.

I have started fluid retention, mostly at the bottom of my legs and ankles, could be all related to IBS and Meno.

I don't understand why i let myself go off track, i was following everything that i learned here, stopped tea and coffee, drank water, peppermint and green tea, i felt so so well, now i'm as far back as ever and finding it difficult to motivate myself, i call myself a very stupid woman

Can you help me get back on track please? and important also can anyone identify with me with the problems that i have described.

Thank you.

broná

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: A voice from the past needs help please new
      #91311 - 07/18/04 01:32 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi Brona,

Sorry you are having such a rough time.

I am post menopausal (59yrs old) and it seemed like my IBS flared up when I started to go through menopause at about 50yrs old.

I think the bladder problem could be part of menopause because I have that sometimes, too, but not really bad. You might check with your OBGYN and see.

I take Lipitor (10 mg), too. It is one of the few meds that I don't have side effects from. Why do you just take it from time to time? I take mine daily. Is your chlosterol high? You might do a search for side effects of Lipitor and see if maybe it could be causing the bladder problem... or ask a pharmacist.....I don't know.

The pain under ribcage could be trapped gas. I get that a lot and I take Phazyme and get some relief. If that doesn't help then do a web search for Costochronditis. It's a condition my DIL has that causes pain in ribcage area radiating to back and can be quite severe.

Since you were doing so well before on the IBS diet...try to go back on it...starting with the safe foods and stay away from trigger foods. Maybe it will get you back on the right track. I hope you get some relief soon.

Barbie

PS: Peppermint can cause acid reflux.

--------------------

#91324 - 07/18/04 02:42 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hello,

Sorry to hear that you're feeling so badly I don't have much advice to offer except something I wanted to mention about the bladder problems. Are you taking any anti-spasmodics? For pain (i.e. Librax, Bentyl, Donnatel etc). Because I just learned that they can cause bladder difficulties, and the symptoms you described are a lot like what I've been experiencing as a side effect from those drugs.

Just thought I'd throw that out there...hope you feel better soon!
Kelly

#91326 - 07/18/04 02:47 PM
broná

Hi barbie.

Thank you, it's a comfort to hear from someone that identifies with you.

I only take Lipitor at times because i know it has side effects, my DR has changed me three times, different meds.

Thank you for the info regarding Costochronditis, i'm going to have a look now.

I see you are in Texas, i live in Ireland so i think i am about 7 hours ahead of you.

Thany you for your motivation, i hope i can start back on track tomorrow.

As i said i didn't realise how well i was on the eating for IBS last year, maybe the Meno kicking in made me fall back.

I.m staying here this time, have to.

Many thanks barbie.

broná

Re: A voice from the past needs help please *DELETED* new
      #91329 - 07/18/04 03:15 PM
Jeano

Reged: 03/20/04
Loc: USA

Post deleted by sjo

Edited by sjo (07/18/04 03:20 PM)

#91419 - 07/18/04 09:15 PM
MissS

Reged: 02/11/04

HI,
I just wanted to say that I'm 49 and going through menopause myself. I have pain under my rib cage at times, too. Usually it's after I've been naughty and eaten things I shouldn't. I just figure it's probably trapped gas or something with the IBS.

It's scary though, because, at our age, lots of things start to go wrong with us and we just wonder if every little pain is something else to worry about. I think most of us are worry warts anyway, and it just doesn't take much to get us nervous and scared sometimes.

I'm fighting the battle of the bulge, too. It's really hard to do, but I keep trying anyway.

As far as getting off the diet and eating improperly goes; well, I've certainly done that plenty of times. I'm just like you. I was doing wonderfully and then I went into denial that I even have IBS and told myself I was normal and started eating like everybody else in my family.

Well, a few days into it, and I had to admit I'm not like them. I really do have IBS afterall. I'm still backsliding, but I'm trying to come back.

Just don't give and keep trying. If you did it once before, then you can do it again.

Have you told your doctor about the fluid retention? I'd want to make sure it's caused from the meno or ibs.

Whew! Getting older isn't easy, is it? But, you're not alone! We can do this!!
Terri

#91422 - 07/18/04 10:04 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

I am so sorry to hear of your suffering. How many of us followed a diet so strictly, felt amazing and empowered enough to deny our ibs and went back to enjoying meals with our friends and family again, only to feel shocking again and have to face facts. You are not alone with that. You know what you need to do. Look at it this way, at least this time you have the TOOLS to feel better...you know which diet brings you back to relative normality....thats better then when you were first diagnosed right?
Whenever I feel sad about my ibs I think of someone who suffers much more then me. (I am not denying that we have a right to be sad about our chronic disease too...I am a big supporter of us getting our chance to moan too!!). I saw this article the other day about this woman, who has just cycled from Rome to London...and she has terminal cancer...she made 160 000 pounds for charity. The photo of her and her husband just broke my heart. I sobbed and sobbed. She inspired me to continue on my quest to give my body as much relief as possible from these symptoms that are constantly here. whatever it takes.
And I don't mean to make a sob story out of myself...but I WISH the ibs diet worked for me. The only way I can control my symptoms is to totally exclude all sugar, only eat some wholegrains, only a few few few types of food at once....I have to eat like a baby. Its desperately hard socially because I have been labelled anorexic etc...but the minute I eat a normal sized meal my body is off again. and for every 'mistake' I suffer for 48 hours.
Please go back to your diet....the rib pain sounds totally like gas to me by the way, I get it the whole time!!!
Good luck!!!

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

#91450 - 07/19/04 07:04 AM
Neeta

Reged: 04/02/04

Hi Brona, I wanted to reply because I am in peri-meno. and can relate to the weight thing! I bloat very badly on a daily basis and have recently had a very bad case of GERD. I too am on Nexium. Interestingly I was not taking it properly. I was popping a pill when I felt bad. Not until the other day when i was in so much uncomfort did I read the instructions again. Are you taking it properly? I now take 2 pills on the day it says on the foil (I didn't even realize there was a different pill for each day). The doc. told me to just take one, well I take one morning and evening and I am so much better! The other thing with me is this, herbal teas can start to react with me after I have been on them for a while. What a drag eh! yep, canadian! Anyway, I was living on peppermint tea. Well we all know by now that peppermint is not good for acid reflux. So come off of it totally for a while. Change to camermile or fennel. Although I have to say fennel was also upsetting me. What I am good with is a ginger drink. I make it (rec. in Heather's book) Basically cut up ginger add honey, sugar, lemon, stew it and drink. It is also good cold watered down. That has been a blessing for me. Try it. You could just put ginger root in a cup with some honey, that would work too, I am sure. As for the weight, well if you find the answer to that one, would you let me know! Aging and hormones are playing a role, I am sure. I am concentrating on feeling better before I tackle the weight. I think the best advice there is eat what you can and concentrate on calories in, calories out. Move as much as you can. I find after eating not good. Everytime I go for a walk after food I bloat! Now how nuts is that. Mind you sitting is not good either, so bit of a problem really! Good luck, Neeta

#91451 - 07/19/04 07:06 AM
Neeta

Reged: 04/02/04

Forgot to add this point, The pharmacist told me Nexium does not work instantly. It can take about 4 weeks to help. What it is doing is healing the wound in your tubes. It's like cutting your knee, forming a scab, and then the new skin growing. So take them properly and hang in here, hopefully you will get some relief. Neeta

Re: I am Very Stupid Woman #2 !!! new
      #91453 - 07/19/04 07:19 AM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

I sweet lady! I have fallen to the way side also, in a few minutes I am going to post my story. We both need to get the book out and start over on the diet.

I just want to feel better! I am so tired of everything.

I do understand your situation, though you do have more health problems than I do. I pray they get better soon, we deserve it don't we ????

#91501 - 07/19/04 11:12 AM
broná

Hi Kelly,

What a relief to know that you can identify with me.

I'm convinced my DR thinks it's all in my head.

I was taking Colofac last year for some months, and when i had everything under control i stopped taking them, it was during the time that i was taking Colofac ( now that i think about it)that the bladder problems started, that is why i went for an Ultrasound scan, nothing showed up.

What can i take instead?

Many thanks for taking the time to write, it's been a comfort.

broná.

#91503 - 07/19/04 11:19 AM
broná

Hi Shelby.

It's a comfort to know that so many can identify with me.

I know there are so many side effects to the meds that we have to take, and while Nexium did it's job i feel it caused me to shed some hair (that could be a Meno problem also)but i feel it was Nexium.

I hope to get back on track and it's lovely to get replies back from people who care, i appreciate that.

Thank you Shelby.

broná

#91504 - 07/19/04 11:26 AM
broná

Hi Terri,

Thank you for your reply.

I had an ultrasound done on my legs last week to rule out clots and things, nothing showed up, i am due back to my DR next week, that will be interesting!!!!!

I hope i can get back to where i was a year ago, i felt so well following eating for IBS, i followed it strictly and even lost weight, what happened to me????????

I'm looking forward to reading all the post here, many thanks again.

broná

#91505 - 07/19/04 11:31 AM
broná

Hi daliatree,

Thank you,

The sad thing with me is that i had all the tools and was putting them to use last year.

I know things could be worse, but when i think how good i felt following what i learned here and just gave up, foolish

I don't know where to start but i have to.

Many thanks again, i appreciate your reply.

broná

#91507 - 07/19/04 11:37 AM
broná

Hi Neeta,

Thanks for all the tips and for your reply.

When i had everything under control last year i could take peppermint with no problems and no Nexium either, that's how good i felt until, i don't know what happened!!!!!!!

I will have to get back on track, it will be difficult.

Thank you again.

broná

Re: I am Very Stupid Woman #2 !!! new
      #91509 - 07/19/04 11:41 AM
broná

Yes we do deserve it gigi.

I am tired feeling bad also, tomorrow is a new day so lets start, good luck to you too.

broná

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5445 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2728

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review