All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Help for my frustrated self?
      #9101 - 05/15/03 06:01 AM
wac

Reged: 03/24/03
Loc: Casselberry, FL

Hi everone! I've been following the IBS diet religiously for the past couple of weeks and I've been feeling good. This morning - was a whole different story. I got the big D with a lot of pain. I took my antispasmatic, laid with the heating pad and drank my tea. It seems gone now but I was a little late for work. I'm frutrated because I've been feeling so good. Here are the only two triggers I can think of. I've always been IBS D but the past two days I've been constipated. Also, last night I had a large glass of LACTAID milk with my graham crackers. It has to be one of those two things right? It's not time for my period or anything like that. Next question - I've been taking CHARCOAL two capsules twice a day for gas. Is charcoal constipating? I've been having a regular BM every day for the past few weeks until these past two days. I started on the charcoal last week. Thanks for all the advice!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help for my frustrated self? new
      #9103 - 05/15/03 06:16 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

You poor thing!

First, it's great you're doing so well overall! Congrats!

Second, yes, milk can be a dhiarretic (sp) for some people, casuing diarrhea.

I don't know anyhting about charcoal tablets, so I can't be of any help there.

I'm sure someone else on the board will have more info. for you.

I hope you feel better soon and figure out your trigger ASAP! Good luck!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#9104 - 05/15/03 06:20 AM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

Yes, the charcoal capsules can be constipating. You may need to take a break from them for awhile. And the lactaid is STILL dairy, so that could have caused a major tummy issue. Hope you feel better soon!

-Christianne

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

#9115 - 05/15/03 10:30 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi there - Christianne is right on both counts. You may want back off the charcoal for a week and perhaps reintroduce them at a lower dose, watching for constipation. And definitely avoid dairy altogether - even without the lactose it still has lots of potential triggers - fat, casein, whey. Try some different brands of soy or rice milk to find one that tastes good to you instead.

Hope you're feeling better soon. Keep up the hot peppermint tea for the next few days, and make sure you're taking your soluble fiber supplement - that should help you quickly recover.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#9116 - 05/15/03 10:32 AM
Wolfie

Reged: 05/06/03

Charcoal can indeed be constipating. It is often given to people with food posioning to stop their diarrhea. Lactaid milk makes me deathly ill. I ususally stick to soy or rice milk. If you must have "natural" milk, try goat milk. I can digest it without any problem. It is expensive, however, and can be hard to locate.

#9119 - 05/15/03 10:43 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Doea anyone know anything about Goat's milk...it keeps popping up in things I read that it is easier to digest than cow's milk.....I can't drink soy milk or rice milk...I'm intolerant to both....and almond milk didn't go over well either. I miss dairy! Should I try goat's milk....thanks!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#9120 - 05/15/03 10:53 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I've heard from some folks who tolerate goat milk better than dairy, and other folks who don't tolerate it at all. It is supposed to be easier to digest, but it's also an animal fat/protein source and those tend to be difficult components for the GI tract. I haven't personally tried it. There have been several threads on the topic though so you should hear from number of people about this.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 467 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1529

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review