Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
I'm worried...question about masking the pain
      #90976 - 07/16/04 03:32 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hello,

I know I'm a huge over worrier, but hopefully some of you kind people will post and put my mind at ease.

As some of you may know from my previous posts, my new doc gave me some oxycodone to try and control the terrible abdominal pain I've been having so that I can eat (it got so bad last week that I didn't eat for almost five days).

IT seems to be working, I'm still in pain but it helps enough that I can get some food into me which I'm extemely grateful for...the thing is, I wonder how safe this is? To be masking the pain with something so powerful? I mean, I assume it's ok because they've ruled out appendicities or bowel strangulation and things like that, so it shouldnt' be anything life threatening, but I don't really like the approach of "gee, we don't know what's going on, it's going to take some time for us to do tests...so let's pump you full of drugs until we figure it out." Just seems a little off to me...

Any advice? I just always worry that I'll be taking these drugs and something more serious will happen and I wont' feel the warning signs because of the pills.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I'm worried...question about masking the pain new
      #91081 - 07/17/04 06:50 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Hey Kelly,

I think the key here is that they are still going to do further tests on you. They're not giving you pain pills and telling you to go away... the concern is that you're not able to eat, and of course that's going to make you sicker (as I'm finding out myself!), so yes, giving you pills that will allow you to eat is a "quick fix" in some respects, but it's a temporary one, and maybe it's just me, but that makes a difference.

I'm pre-breakfast, a little groggy, and not expressing myself very well, but I guess what I'm trying to say is... if they'd put you on pills for the rest of your life without any further testing, I'd be really concerned. I don't think a temporary measure like this is anything to worry about, as long as it means you actually can get some nutrition into you.

And I hope they're working, and that you're feeling better!

Re: I'm worried...question about masking the pain new
      #91101 - 07/17/04 08:36 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

I couldn't have said it better than Casey did! 100% agree not to worry!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Kel, new
      #91234 - 07/17/04 11:26 PM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

you're really aware of what's going on in your situation, so you're going to be vigilant. i wouldn't worry about being on the pain meds. you just need to rest and see what you can do to get better! if you needed to take blood pressure meds for a while, would you worry that you were masking other problems? i know that's not the best comparison, but you NEED the pain meds right now. make sure you keep an eye on your BMs and if they stop or get really dark or bloody or.... well, you know all the things to look for! if you see anything bad like that, call your doc. in the meantime, take the pain pills so you can live a little more comfortably! maybe if it makes you less worried, set a date that you'll stop the pain meds for a vacation. like, say, August 15th. and then, stop for a few days and see how life is. if you need to go back on again, then you need to go back on again. concentrate on getting better, dude. i want you to gain a few pounds before Fall, k?!

--------------------

Hey Jen new
      #91242 - 07/18/04 12:09 AM
Vicam

Thanks for your info...I know I need them, it's just frustrating to have to need something so strong. And I know what to watch for...but the doctors sometimes don't seem to care.

In fact, after my extremely bad bought of pain last Saturday that had me in the hospital, the next few bowel movements I had had alot of dark blood in them (sorry if this is TMI). Not hemmorhoid type blood but dark blood intertwined in the stool. So I called the doc because I dont normally get that, and I thought maybe it was related to the severe pain, and the nurse wouldnt' put me through to the doc, she just put me on hold and came back and said that it was fine, I'll just have to wait for the GI consult. She said even tons of blood can be common in IBS patients (even though I haven't been diagnosed with IBS).

I was so frustrated, because from everything I've read "tons of blood" is NOT common with IBS. GRRR...it's just so annoying.

I will work on gaining some weight for fall though...I'll keep you posted
Kelly

oh for goodness' sake.... new
      #91296 - 07/18/04 10:20 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

tons of blood is NOT common in IBS.

i have to go walk away from the computer because i am afraid i may scream over the international incompetence of the medical profession.

--------------------

Dont' scream Jen new
      #91302 - 07/18/04 12:11 PM
Vicam

Don't scream Jen ... there's nothing we can do about it. Maybe we should all go back to school and become doctors...and we could be good doctors who actually listen to their patients and keep up to date on information.

I know blood is not common, so I just calmly hung up the phone and wrote her off as another idiot, I figure even if the blood signifies something serious, it's likely not something so serious it can't wait the two weeks until they're getting me back to a GI.

Kelly

Hi Kelly new
      #91304 - 07/18/04 12:54 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

I'm so sorry you are having a rough time.

What kind of tests have you had done, if any?

If this continues and the doc won't help just go to the emergency room again. This could be something that should be attended to immediately. Surely they won't send you home if you are bleeding. My niece had severe pain and blood in stools and she went to emergency room. The immediately admitted her. Found out she had an infection of the colon. Gave her antiobiotics interveinously for a week before she could go home. Now she is fine. Also blood in stool and severe pain could be bleeding ulcers.

And I think it is OK to take pain pills in the meantime. You don't need to suffer if you don't have to.

When is the appt with the GI doc? Hope it's soon.

Barbie

--------------------

Hey Barbie new
      #91319 - 07/18/04 02:02 PM
Vicam

Thanks for your concern
So far I've had a colonoscopy which was negative, and an upper GI which showed GERD but no ulcers or anything like that. They wanted to do a small bowel follow through but I had a bad reaction to the barium so the doctor and radiologist are still arguing over whether it would be wise to do it again.

I've had blood work and everything came back ok except that I'm anemic, but that's not a big surprise since there's bleeding going on and I barely eat. I also just did some stool tests but I don't get the results of those until tomorrow.

What frustrates me is that when I went in the pain was so severe, but I hadn't had any bleeding, so when they asked I said no. And I didn't have a fever so they ruled out appendicitis. The doc said that I could go home and rest, and if I spiked a fever, had the pain worsen despite the painkillers, or started seeing blood in my stool I should come back. Then later that night sure enough I had blood in my stool (and intense pain when going to the bathroom) but because it was the middle of the night I called ahead to emerg and explained it to them, and they told me if I came in they still wouldn't/couldn't do anything, that I needed to see the GI guy. So bah to them. I think without a fever they just assume it's not serious.

How old was your niece btw?

And my appointment is on the 29th of July, so not too far off.
Kelly

Kelly..... new
      #91343 - 07/18/04 04:27 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Boo hiss to the emergency room. I would think the bleeding and pain would be enough for them to do something but I guess they figured since you didn't have fever there was no infection. I don't remember if my niece had a fever or not. BTW she is 33.

Well, it sounds like you have had some good tests done. Maybe the stool test will show something. It's good that your blood work came back OK because that tells a lot about what is going on inside your body. I think if it was anything serious blood work would show something was wrong.

Don't know what else to tell you but to hang in there and take your pain pills till you see the doc.

Good luck
Barbie

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4548 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2135

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review