Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
How are peaches on the tummy?
      #90973 - 07/16/04 03:29 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey Guys,

Since my doctors are on me big time to TRY and get some fruits and veggies into me, and the percocets seem to be at least helping control the pain associated with eating...I thought I'd try and make a few fruit smoothies and see how that goes.

I'm going to start with bananas, because they're the only fruit that so far hasn't given me problems...but what about peaches? Are they pretty safe?

Thanks,
Kelly

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How are peaches on the tummy? new
      #90977 - 07/16/04 03:34 PM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

Hello!
Do you have Heather's book, IBS The Frist Year? In the book, there is a recipe for oatmeal with peaches in it. I absolutely love it, and make it every morning. I think as long as the peaches are peeled it's ok, also cooking them a little makes them even safer. Hope this helps!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

#90978 - 07/16/04 03:35 PM
ptillen

Reged: 06/27/04
Loc: Milwaukee WI

Start with canned peaches maybe? Or maybe a half fresh blended up in a smoothie with some banana & soy milk. Make it real safe that way, lots of soluble fiber.
Fresh and canned work fine for me, but every body's different, so the best thing you can do is try a little can or a halfa peach and see what happens.

#90984 - 07/16/04 03:43 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey Becky,
I do have the books but I'm a lousy cook Completely useless in the kitchen...although I'm trying to learn. I basically bought a thing of canned peaches, figured I'd throw 'em in the blender with some soy milk and see how she goes. That's my idea of cooking
Kelly

#90990 - 07/16/04 03:51 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I find canned peaches are one of the few fruits I'm ok with - and I can't even tolerate bananas or applesauce! So I'd say they're probably pretty safe.

My experience with turning them into smoothies, though, is that they're a little bland on their own. I don't know how you do with spices and such, but you might want to throw in a pinch of nutmeg or cinnamon, and I always find I need a little more sweetener than I think I need when I start making it.

#91012 - 07/16/04 05:29 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Casey, I can do the canned ones too, but not fresh. Bananas, no way, but applesauce is ok for me. Boy are we all different when it comes to fruits.
But now the funny part is that I can do pineapple, and if I have peaches I may add pineapple and papaya and make a tropical smoothie. I used to add real FF yogurt, (pre-IBS days) and if you do soy (I don't) you could try adding the soy yogurt......then sweeten to taste. Yummm..

With smoothies I think the key is to experiment. What flavor one person likes, another won't, but it's a great way to get in the insolubles in a way the tummy can handle them.
Kandee

--------------------

Peaches and pineapples new
      #91018 - 07/16/04 05:52 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

It is pretty kooky how things work and don't work for different people, isn't it? I've always done fine with pineapple, too - fresh or canned. My favorite is still to put pineapple on the grill. I've never tried it in a smoothie, though... hmm.

Not that this has anything to do with anything, but my mom used to put canned peach halves and pineapple slices on top of chicken (pieces, not a whole bird, just salted and peppered) and then bake the whole thing. Yum.

Re: Peaches and pineapples new
      #91019 - 07/16/04 05:56 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

I actually do fine with all peaches, even fresh. Besides bananas and apples it's my safest fruit. But pineapples give me issues. It is funny how we're all different!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: Smoothies, Banana, peaches, strawberries, cherries... new
      #91116 - 07/17/04 10:30 AM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

This is what I do...before you read this, there was a time when I could ONLY do bananas. When I started to puree' them, I found I could tolerate and enjoy them.

I freeze my bananas (can't remember if you can have them or not). I peel about 2 or 3, put them in a zipoc, squeeze until mashed and throw in the freezer, they thaw quickly if you lay them flat. I buy the other fruits frozen in bags. Take out what I need and throw together in the blender with a little soy milk, vanilla and sometimes a little maple syrup. THis is very yummmmeeeeee! Hope this helps!

I cannot eat pineapple in any form, or canned fruits.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5039 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1186

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review