All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Re: pregnant and IBS-D new
      #90027 - 07/14/04 02:17 PM
sphincts001

Reged: 07/13/04

Thanks -- I want to see if I can do the other tests (triple screen, Level II ultrasound) and rule out having the amnio....I'm at high risk because of age.

Ugh, shots and bloodwork. But at least they're noninvasive to the fetus (why I'm so concerned about the amnio). Isn't technology supposed to make our life simpler, not more complicated? Well, hang in there!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#90062 - 07/14/04 03:42 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Hi Sweetie! I'm sorry I missed your post yesterday. Anyway, I've been through 2 pregnancies with IBS D and don't worry, you'll be fine.
I know it's scary. When I went to my Doctor I was so terrified the babies weren't getting the nutrients they need. Did you know that the baby will take nutrients out of the Mother's body if they don't get them through what you eat? Don't worry - your baby is getting what it needs from you and the prenatal vitamins.
As for only rice, I would avoid that if possible. As Torbetta suggested, stick to the "mushy" cooked veggies, and add a little chicken or seafood. Limit oils, and if spicy stuff bothers you, go a bit bland.
Puree fruit and make a smoothie - banana, fresh fruit and a little soy/rice milk in the blender with ice. That's tons of nutrients you should be able to tolerate.

Here are another few suggestions:
Try to reduce the stress in your life. Relax as much as possible.
Drink TONS of peppermint tea. It can actually stop D attacks for me - it was my lifesaver while pregnant. I drank it through both pregnancies and it really helped lessen the amount of D as well.

Drink lots of water, and try walking or mild exercise after meals (even a 10 minute stroll is helpful).
Cook, peel , mash puree as much as possible.

If you have any more questions, be sure to ask. We're here to help.
Another reassuring thought - as the baby gets bigger in the next few weeks, it will put pressure on your digestive system thus slowing it down. The D attacks might clear up when that happens. I remember feeling AMAZING during the 2nd trimester because my IBS symptoms virtually vanished as the baby got bigger. Also, you're not big and bulky yet so it's a very enjoyable time - so enjoy it!
You may be able to eat things that you can't normally eat - I was able to - and it was a special treat.
Hugs, Han.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#91442 - 07/19/04 06:39 AM
TwinMom

Reged: 07/19/04
Loc: New York City

It is really good to hear I am not the only one suffering from IBS-D during pregnancy - I am 13 weeks with twins, and my symptoms have never been this bad! I havent even gained any weight yet, even though I eat a lot - I worry too the nutrition is not getting to my babies! I hope it will go away during the second trimester. I am going to ask my doctor about acacia, and I will try your suggestions. My big problem is water still tastes awful to me, it is a chore to drink enough (I used to love water before pregnancy!)

#91481 - 07/19/04 09:41 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Me too. Have you tried filtering it? Buy yourself a brita or another filter type thing if you have one. See if that makes a difference - it did the trick for me. While pregnant, water tasted like chloring to me - gag!
Another idea is lemonade - sometimes sweet-tart things settle the tummy (for some strange reason).
Another idea - teas count! So if water tastes bad, make yourself some iced teas (you can even make it caffeine free too) and store them in the fridge.
Don't worry about the weight gain (or lack thereof) that will happen sooner than you'd like!.
And ... CONGRATULATIONS MOMMY! Twins! Wow!
Post if you have any more questions.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#92250 - 07/22/04 08:25 AM
sphincts001

Hey, sorry to hear you're having a similar problem. I'm now 17 weeks and somehow, after eating a ton of rice and boiled white-meat chicken, the D seems to have subsided (fingers tightly crossed). My doctor says that if you're able to eat all, that's good -- there are people who have so much trouble keeping food down that they have to be tube-fed. So hang in there, and I hope your D goes away too as you head into the second trimester.
Yes, like HanSolo said, the peppermint tea does help. I also found that lemonade made me feel less nauseated.
Twins -- congrats congrats!

#92257 - 07/22/04 08:40 AM
sphincts001

Thanks HanSolo! (many days later -- was away for a while) I'm not sure if it was all the boiled rice and chicken or the growing fetus or what, but the D seems to have calmed down. Yes, it's very reassuring that the baby takes nutrients directly from you and not from your food. My dr. (who admits that "there isn't a lot of literature on pregnancy and IBS") didn't seem concerned at all about the D, so that helped me relax too.
On to the next thing -- deciding about the amnio (I'm fairly old to be doing this). So stress levels will stay pretty high for a bit yet!
Thanks again, and regards to you and your two beautiful, healthy children.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1158 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1777

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review