All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
The Truth Comes Out
      #8812 - 05/11/03 04:50 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

Well everyone, today I was talking to mother. She seemed very concerned and worried about the colonoscopy she is about to go through next friday.Anyway, I was telling her all about what happens, IBS, IBD, celiacs and the ibs diet. Well anyway,then she started to ask me a whole bunch of questions (Like I was a doc or something) and it was cool because I actually knew the answers to everything she was asking. Then I told her that I dont think she has ibs because she can eat anything she wants anytime she wants. She was sorta quiet after that, and then she let it just all come out. She told me that when she was about 12 she had severe constipation and abdominal pain. She told me that this lasted until she was 19 (when she had me) She told me that she missed so much school because of her bad tummy aches. But then she said that when she was pregnant with me, her constipation and pain suddenly went away. She told me that it was completely gone and it didnt come back until about 1999. Now she says she gets D about once a month (period time) and that she gets abdominal pain often. She also told me that my grandfather had IBS. She told me that he was never diagnosed though, and went through his whole life having to live with the pain. She said he never took meds for it, nor did he know about the fiber thing. Well anyway, Im so glad she came out with the truth with me. It is very comforting to know that she went through the same exact thing when she was my age.

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: The Truth Comes Out new
      #8819 - 05/11/03 07:13 PM
LilyLewis

Reged: 04/25/03
Loc: D.C. area

This is very interesting! Sounds like you all had a great conversation. Not only were you in a great position to help your mom, she seem to also let you give her good info. Then she got to share with you stuff that apparently she never felt able to do.

I find it interesting that her symptoms went away with pregnancy and are returning now. Of course making me think of hormonal changes/ menopause/ etc.

It is nice to know that she can understand what you are going through AND that you can understand what she is going through. You are pretty lucky!!

-Lily

#8830 - 05/11/03 11:32 PM
britsarah

Reged: 02/16/03
Loc: United Kingdom

Angela,
I'm so pleased for you that you are and your mum are able to talk like that, at least now she's opened up to you things may get easier as regards to what you are allowed to eat at home. I hope things get even better between you, sounds like you're really bonding over this ((HUGS))
Sarah

--------------------
Sarah

Looking for inspiration...

#8837 - 05/12/03 05:34 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

At least you now know where she's coming from. Maybe BritSarah is right - maybe this can open the lines of communication and maybe she'll be more sympathetic to your needs as well. You must be a pretty special young lady for your Mom to confide in you like that.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 735 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 602

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review