All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Any OA people able to adapt diet for IBS?
      #88023 - 07/08/04 06:35 PM
curley149

Reged: 07/08/04

I've been dealing with IBS for 8 years which has gotten progressively worse to the point it's incapacitating at work. I have been actively working at OA limiting white flour & sugar. Not sure if this is making my IBS worse. Any help out there?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Welcome! What's OA? -nt- new
      #88086 - 07/08/04 09:32 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Welcome! What's OA? -nt- new
      #88089 - 07/08/04 09:40 PM
ptillen

Reged: 06/27/04
Loc: Milwaukee WI

I presume to answer, but I think we're referring to Overeaters Anonymous. My husband has done this program, and sometimes people in it do cut "white food", especially sugar and flour, out of their diet.

Re: Any OA people able to adapt diet for IBS? new
      #88258 - 07/09/04 11:19 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Is that what's known as "gray sheet" OA?

As long as you're not replacing the sugar with artificial sweeteners and as long as you're getting plenty of other soluble fiber foods like rice and potatoes, you should be okay. There's a number of people here who have gluten intolerance and don't eat any wheat (white or whole grain), so they might be able to give you some additional pointers.

Also, remember, in 12 step programs, there are no rules, only suggestions. Same here. Take what you like and leave the rest!! (I'm in the rooms too, different program!)

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Re: Welcome! What's OA? -nt- new
      #88596 - 07/10/04 05:24 PM
curley149

Overeaters Anonymous - a 12 step program. You need to weigh and measure your food and call it into a sponsor each morning. The program/sponsor advocates no white flour or sugar as these create cravings. I've lost about 52 pounds over the past 3 months and want to be sure the diet change isn't aggravating my ibs. I also am in the process of meeting with a nutritionist to find the best way to stay with OA as it's the only program I know that people lose tons of weight and keep it off. My doctor agreed that the changed diet will dramatically improve the IBS.
If you have more questions, please let me know. Thanks so much for setting up this site. It's the only place I have found that has helped give me useful information. I've been dealing with IBS for 8 years after surgery and just recovered from a c-dif infection that I am hoping is the reason my ibs is so horrible right now. It's becoming debilitating. Scary stuff.

#88598 - 07/10/04 05:25 PM
curley149

Thank you for responding. I am adjusting my food plan and was hoping to hear some other people that have been successful with OA that have ibs. Also working with a nutritionist and a sponsor so hoping it all comes together.
Good luck with your program - it's a real life saver.

#88607 - 07/10/04 06:19 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Hi, curley! You're welcome and I hope you "keep coming back" here too!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1829 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 999

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review