All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Curious
      #8570 - 05/08/03 07:23 AM
wac

Reged: 03/24/03
Loc: Casselberry, FL

I hope everyone is feeling well today. I have a question. I've asked this one before but it keeps happening so I'll bother ya'll with it again. GAS! I keep getting some real intense gas pains around 3:00 in the afternoon and I can not figure out the problem. I've changed by fiber supplement (was taking Benefiber now taking Equalactin). I've heard it can be the vitamin/calcium supplements but since I've been having such a hard time finding some for my sensitive stomach I've not been taking them. I eat pretty much the same thing everyday. Breakfast oatmeal Snack baked tortilla chips Lunch turkey with mustard on white Snack pretzels Dinner chicken breast with some type of potato. Boring! I know but it keeps me stable. My problem is this gas is uncomfortable. Definately the lesser of two evils (I could have a stomach ache) but I want to feel GOOD. By the way - there are times in the day when my stomach is completely empty. Could that be the problem. I teach 4th grade and sometimes don't have time to eat. I CAN and WILL make time if that's the problem. Any advice? Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Curious new
      #8572 - 05/08/03 07:29 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

Well, I have two suggestions. One - have you tried the Tummy Mint tea? It has fennel in it, and I could not find ANY teas in my grocery with fennel in there, so I went online and ordered 10 boxes of Tummy Mint tea delivered to my house! Hey, with 3 little ones I need convenience! It really truly helps with the gas pains, I drink a cup after anything I eat these days. If you're keeping up with the other posts you may know that sometimes that isn't much, but in my situation right now anything I do eat is making me feel overly full and gassy so the tea afterwards is heping to calm that.

Second, I agree that you should not let your tummy get too empty. Maybe some sourdough pretzels in your desk? When I was teaching and pregnant, and needed to snack to keep okay, my students would whine and say, "How come you get to eat and we don't?" Well, I taught 1st grade so I was safe in answering, "If any of you are pregnant you are welcome to snack all you want!" Sure you could come up with some kind of similar response.

Good luck, I think feeling gassy is the worst.

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

#8573 - 05/08/03 07:32 AM
danie

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: NYC

wac - Have you tried Twin Lab brand (I don't work for them lol!!) vitamins in CAPSULE form? I use CALCIUM CITRATE WITH MAGNESIUM and DAILY ONE CAPS (multi vitamin)WITHOUT IRON (iron is constipating). Vitamins in capsule form are very quickly dissolved and digested.
What about the supplement BEANO? I also know that CHARCOAL
CAPSULES (activated charcoal, you can get them in health food stores) help with gas, upset stomachs, etc. The charcoal absorbs toxins in the stomach. Have been using them for years.

#8583 - 05/08/03 08:37 AM
wac

Reged: 03/24/03
Loc: Casselberry, FL

Where can I order that Tummy Mint tea? I'm willing to try it all. Thanks for the replies!

#8590 - 05/08/03 09:02 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

I got mine from alltea.com Some others might have better sources, don't know. Good luck!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Re: Charcoal new
      #8591 - 05/08/03 09:07 AM
sperry_twiggins

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Beautiful Pacific Northwest

Danie,

I almost bought some charcoal capsules in the drug store last week, but chickened out. How often do you take it? I know it only works on certain gas triggers, so do you take it when you know you'll be eating one of them?

Also, do you have a preferred brand or dosage? Is it okay to buy the ones in the big drug store chain or should I go to a nutrition center?

wac, if you haven't read this page yet (posted here by another user - sorry I can't remember who), it answered a LOT of my gas questions.

Good luck!

sperry_twiggins

#8592 - 05/08/03 09:21 AM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

I want to third trying not to let your stomach get to empty.

On the gas something I have been taking recently is papaya enyzmes with chlorophyl from american health, something I just found at a local health food store. It may help some and helps in general with digestion which is why I take them personally.

Gas is one of the tough things to treat in IBS.

I believe if you let your stomach get to empty though gas pockets may form more easily.

Excersise can help this to to move things along. Even some streching ones.

Depending on how long ago you changed your fiber supplement it may have an impact on gas until your body adjust also, which can take a while for some people.

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

#8611 - 05/08/03 10:35 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

You can brew plain fennel tea with fennel seeds (buy in bulk from a spice shop or health food store). Fennel is very anti-gas and anti-bloating. You could have it as hot tea during the day or brew up a big batch, let it cool, and keep it in a water bottle to drink from throughout the day.

And everyone else is right on - don't let your stomach get empty if you can help it.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4189 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1748

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review