All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS-C and new diet
      #8244 - 05/04/03 04:10 PM
trbell

Reged: 02/12/03

I'm planning on making some dietrary changesand was intrigued by your comment in the book to the effect that most people with constipation are hard to hange because they are resistant to the idea of increasing soluble fiber. I suspect that might be part of my problem but I'm a little dense when it comes to food - I am a man with a very limited food budget but any suggestions would be welcome.

tom

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS-C and new diet new
      #8245 - 05/04/03 05:25 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Welcome to the board! Yes, it is a common misconception that soluble fiber (rice, bananas, "starches") are not good for constipation. In fact, they are wonderful. When you take a "fiber" supplement - guess what it is - soluble fiber! It helps both D and C.
Limited budget? Join the club! I would suggest if you can, go to an asian store. Buy a 20 lb bag of rice. It'll cost you probably less than $10 and will last you forever and ever. Rice is an excellence source of soluble fiber and mixes well with almost any vegetable or meat. You can also flavour it up in lots of different ways.
If you are looking for recipes for dishes made on a budget, check out the recipe board on this website. TessLouise is our resident expert on thrifty cooking.
In the meantime, check out the other parts of this website: eating fibre to get a better idea of soluble fiber and what to eat/avoid. Good luck, and if you have any questions, hit the search button or post them!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#8251 - 05/04/03 09:07 PM
trbell

Reged: 02/12/03

Thanks. Do you have any thoughts on beverages? Juice doesn't always agree and I'm getting tired of water.

tom

#8256 - 05/05/03 06:30 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Water is great for C -especially in large quantities. Juice can be a problem because's it's so acidic. A lot of people with IBS find cranberry juice the most tolerable. You can always dilute it a bit with water to start off with. I don't know how you feel about tea, but it can be a real help. Peppermint, ginger, fennel, chamomile are all great for IBS. You can always make a big pot and then put it in the fridge for iced tea if you prefer cold beverages.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#8272 - 05/05/03 11:32 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Tom - HanSolo has given you great info! I'd definitely add in a soluble fiber supplement, gradually, along with the soluble fiber foods. Here's info on the supplements web page and here's info on the foods web page

Definitely try the herbal teas. They're great not just as a source of water, which is so important for constipation, but they also can really soothe GI cramping, gas, and bloating. Fennel is especially good for bloating, peppermint is great for pain. Chamomile and anise are other favorites, and ginger is best for nausea.

Do definitely check the recipe boards for thrifty cooking - you can also use the search button to look for specific types of recipes (chicken, rice, etc.) And if you're a fast and easy type of cook, check the recipes archived here web page and here web page

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 932 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 824

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review