All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
What to eat and not eat...
      #80968 - 06/18/04 10:32 PM
lilbit

Reged: 06/12/04

Ok, I've read the list and all that. I haven't had any pop, mostly just drinking water. Haven't had dairy or red meat. I think I'm following it better, although I don't know about the fiber thing. So, I'm about 65% better without dairy I'd say. At least I don't feel like I'm as big as a house. I don't know if I can stay away for sweets long though. I really miss milk but I know it makes me feel like crap. Anyway, soy milk is ok right? what brand tastes the best? What's a nice sweet replacement when you can't pig out on chocolate or cookies? Are Tostitoes and Salsa ok? What about Gatorade.

I get confused when it comes to sugar. Which sugars are bad/good? I've stayed away from alcohol and all that too, no caffeine...

what am I missing? I think I'm doing well but not 100% yet.

This is sort of a blessing in disguise. I used to eat nothing but junk but now I'm cooking nicer meals, getting me in the kitchen used to be impossible.

I've been shopping in the vegeterian section and the sugar free sections....still can't drink the tea...

I'm craving ice cream...
and which fruits are good? I know some are good in fiber, but some of us don't need that much fiber

I'm still lost at what to eat even after reading lists.

Finally, where do you find MSG? And if you really want fried food, is there something safe to fry it in? Are the veggie burgers food? What about the soy cheese?

Ok, now I mean finally....has anyone noticed things like smoke or dust bothering them? I swear some days around smoke and at work with the fiberglass I feel worse....

Thanks for any answers.
Diane

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What to eat and not eat... new
      #80987 - 06/19/04 06:14 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

Hi,

I can't answer all of your questions, but I will try to get a couple figured out for you..

I personally cannot stay away from sweets, and I a few other people on the boards can't either. I try to eat candy in moderation and always stay away from chocolate. I eat lots of swedish fish and twizzlers though. I also know shell and kandee love their jelly bellies.

As for soy milk.. I hate it. but I hated regular milk too so.. I can't help you with that.

BAKED tostitos with salsa is a great snack!

And good sweet replacements are listed in the recipe section, antidepressant brownies, rice krispie treats, peppermint fudge cake, there are tons to choose from.

YOu find MSG ANYWHERE.. it sucks so always read labels.. generally I find it hidden the most in chicken and vegetable broths and chinese food.. so read your labels!

--------------------

#80997 - 06/19/04 07:30 AM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

Hi Diane,
Ashley's done a good job of answering a lot of your questions...I don't have all the answers either but I'll try to answer some.

First of all have you taken a look at trigger foods and the list of soluble/insoluble fiber foods? Triggers
Soluble Fiber (Foods)
Insoluble Fiber (Foods)

Ok, now that that's outta the way...as for fruits, well it all depends on if you are C or D. Which are ya? Because C's generally need more insoluble fiber - take a look at the list, it does list some fruits I think. Also, it varies from person to person so unfortunately its a matter of trial and error. However, the main thing with this diet is trying to make sure you eat a small amount of soluble fiber food before having the insoluble, as it greatly helps the digestive tract.

You also said you've been shopping in the sugar free section - well that is good because too much sugar isn't good for anyone BUT it is IBS safe! You aren't buying artifical sweetners are ya? Those are huge triggers.

As for ice cream, do a search on soy ice cream - there were lots of posts on these just a week or so ago. I think a lot of people really enjoy Tofutti Cuties (click here)

Anyway, please let us know more so that we can help you out even more!

#81043 - 06/19/04 10:28 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Soy milk is ok. Personally, I can't tolerate the taste of the stuff, so I usually use rice milk, which is also a-ok. (Vanilla rice milk is GREAT in smoothies & on cereal!) I like Rice Dream brand, personally.

As for fried food, if you're talking about deep-fried stuff a la KFC, then no, as far as I know, there's nothing safe to fry it in. For pan-frying, cooking spray and a good nonstick pan will be your new best friends. I'm sure there are also some good baked "faux fried" recipes if there's something in particular that you're craving - try a search in the recipe forum!

Veggie burgers, as far as I know, are good. Again, read labels, see what's in them, and make sure there's nothing that's a trigger for you.

Feeling lost, even with the lists, is normal. At least that's what I keep telling myself - I've been doing this for almost a month, and I still refer to the lists at least once a day. It takes a while to sink in and really become habit. It does get easier, though!

Oh yeah, and smoke bothers me something awful - you're not alone!

#81050 - 06/19/04 11:19 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi Diane,

It seems like everybody has IBS a little differently. You may just have to be a food detective for a while to see what suits you best...keep a food diary so if you do have a reaction you can figure out what it was. Also, read all labels to see what is in stuff. If you shop in the sugar-free dept. be sure it doesn't have sorbitol. That's a big IBS trigger. So is High Fructose Corn Syrup. I can tolerate sweet & low OK.

I am fortunate I can drink Lactaid Milk only in small amounts. I can also tolerate low fat yogurt ice cream in small amounts. I eat a lot of grilled chicken, potatoes, pasta,peanut butter,and oatmeal (for my fiber). I usually treat myself in the evening with a Little Debbie snack. They aren't too high in fat and they agree with me. I do not take any fiber supplements. I know others have been helped by them so you will have to figure out what is best for you.

Smoke & dust bother me, too. And especially things like clorox and paint thinner...I have a really sensitive nose!!!

Barbie

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5847 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 708

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review