All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
IBS AND LOW CARB DIET AND GLUTEN AND LACTOSE INTOLERANT
      #8071 - 05/01/03 02:43 PM
legalgal

Reged: 05/01/03

I've had IBS all of my life but only until a couple of years ago was I "officially" diagnosed with IBS. I've been heavy all of my life and wanted to go on the low carb diet (eating a lot of protein and fat and artificial sweetners) but in reading about IBS and what to eat and not eat, I'm finding that I am suppose to eat more carbs. I also cannot tolerate wheat products or milk products. So, anyone have any suggestions what I can eat that will help me to lose weight but not affect my IBS and wheat and milk intolerance? Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS AND LOW CARB DIET AND GLUTEN AND LACTOSE INTOLERANT new
      #8075 - 05/01/03 02:48 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Hi there, welcome to the board!!!! If you can't tolerate wheat and dairy...you may have celiac. What are your symptoms?

Other folks on the board may be able to give you some good advice...if you do a search (there's a search button at the top of your screen), you might be able to get help if you look up IBS and insulin. I think there are other folks in your situation...I'm hoping if you search you'll get some answers until other people with more knowledge than me can get back to you.

Just curious, do you have problems with bananas, rice, or potatoes?

Good luck, feel good, and Happy Thursday!!!!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#8079 - 05/01/03 02:55 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - I'd definitely encourage you to avoid any high fat, high protein diet if you have IBS. It's likely to make you much worse.

Use the "search" button to look for past posts on combining the IBS diet with low carb needs. There are a lot of posts on this. There are also posts on going gluten free while following the IBS diet.

About wheat and IBS, check here web page

If you need to go completely wheat free, stick to soluble fiber foods like rice, rice noodles, oatmeal, potatoes, corn meal, corn tortillas, baked corn chips, quinoa, barley, root veggies, etc.

The IBS diet is completely dairy free, so no worries there.

In general, if you're overweight just following the basic IBS diet will likely lead to weight loss. It has for many people. There are quite a few posts on the board about this as well.

Here's the basic guidelines web page

Welcome to the board!

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#8080 - 05/01/03 02:57 PM
britsarah

Reged: 02/16/03
Loc: United Kingdom

Lactose intolerance fits in well with the ibs diet, as dairy can be one of the worst triggers for some people, so is best to avoid. At least you should be used to using soy or rice milk and its products.
There are lots of other good sources of soluble fiber apart from wheat - rice, potatoes, cornmeal.
If you haven't got Heather's books, they are definetly worth getting. I really like 'The First Year' for all the relevant info you could need.
Hope this helps, let us know how you get on.
BTW, soluble fiber supplements are good as well, you just need to experiment to see which suits you best.
Sarah

--------------------
Sarah

Looking for inspiration...

#8081 - 05/01/03 02:58 PM
H2

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Ohio

Heather's book talks about the ibs diet and weight gain - there is a great piece on it here. It is partway down the page and the section is titled "Will eating for IBS make me fat?"

Here's part of the article:
"You're not alone if you're wondering whether eating safely for IBS will lead to excess weight gain. Rest assured, it won't. The basis of the IBS diet, soluble fiber, has no calories at all as it is indigestible. High soluble fiber foods are virtually always high in complex carbohydrates and low in fat. This is a good thing, as the healthiest diets in the world, associated with the lowest obesity rates, are those highest in complex carbohydrates and lowest in fat and protein (particularly from animal products). This fact completely contradicts the current and misguided popularity of high protein/low carbohydrate fad diets. Tellingly, the obesity rates for cultures with high carb/low fat and protein diets (primarily in Asia) are a fraction of the obesity rates in the US. We average only 40-50% of diet from carbohydrates – but most Asian nations average 60-75%. Our national obesity rate is now one of the highest in the world, at 35% for adults and 20% for children. The average Asian country's obesity rate is just 2-3%."

In a nutshell, I think you will have better luck losing weight following the IBS diet than the high protein/fat diet, and you will feel healthier too. The high protein diet might make you lose weight in the short term, but my friend (a dietitian) says it is super hard on your system and not healthy at all.

--------------------
-h2
"Soluble fiber not included."

#8088 - 05/01/03 03:15 PM
legalgal

Wow! Thank you for taking the time to give me all of the great information from Heather's book. I will definitely have to get it and I had no idea about the soluble fiber being non-digestible. That's pretty amazing. Thanks again...

#8089 - 05/01/03 03:20 PM
legalgal

Thank you for your information, Heather. This is definitely a whole new world. I'll be buying your book soon!

#8091 - 05/01/03 03:26 PM
legalgal

Hi - thanks for the nice welcome! I've checked into Celiac but have never been officially checked by a doctor. As far as my symptoms go, when I ate wheat I got headaches and VERY BAD IBS! Now I know if any wheat is hiding in food because my eyes water and my mouth goes dry and I get an instant headache. Regarding dairy - my symptoms are a stomach ache and then diarrea. No real problems with rice, bananas or potatoes as long as there is nothing added. I also had my gall bladder out about 10 years ago so the fat content can play havoc on my intestines.
Thanks again for your input!

#8092 - 05/01/03 03:30 PM
H2

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Ohio

You're welcome! You hang in there and good luck!

--------------------
-h2
"Soluble fiber not included."

#8093 - 05/01/03 03:31 PM
legalgal

Thanks so much for your input. Yes, I will check into soluble fiber supplements and will definitely purchase Heather's books. This is going to be a very interesting journey and I am glad that there are a lot of you who can understand what this is all about. Thanks again!

I'd absolutely be tested for celiac new
      #8098 - 05/01/03 04:37 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

and also just a general wheat allergy (different from celiac, which is a gluten intolerance auto-immune disorder). The watery eyes and headache and such are not IBS. You may actually have IBS and celiac or a wheat allergy as well. Some people have more than one disorder (not fair, I know!). But the good news is you can tackle all the problems simultaneously as what helps one isn't necessarily harmful for the other.

Let us know any diagnostic results you get and we'll help you work out a game plan.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#8114 - 05/01/03 08:03 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Legalgal,

You have a great positive attitude in all of this...I'm sure you'll do great! Please let me know if you find you have celiac...I'm going down the path to discovery myself at the moment! If I can be of any help, please let me know! Thanks, and take care! *hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: I'd absolutely be tested for celiac new
      #8148 - 05/02/03 10:53 AM
legalgal

Thanks for your input and your help to work out a plan. I am going to go for testing next Thursday for food allergies. After that I think I will talk to my doc about being tested for celiac and let you know what I find out. Thanks again!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5427 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1828

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review