All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Calling all IBS-Cs: Anyone do better without any carbs????
      #80300 - 06/17/04 07:36 AM
mickz

Reged: 09/07/03
Loc: Jacksonville, FL

I was looking back through my food diary and I noticed that the VERY BEST I'VE EVER FELT is when I was eating almost NO CARBS. My diet consisted mainly of lean meats and vegetables. Also, during this time, I was watching my sugars and and my diet was low on the glycemic index. Anyone else seem to be less constipated on no carbs?

--------------------
IBS-C, pain predominant

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Calling all IBS-Cs: Anyone do better without any carbs???? new
      #80307 - 06/17/04 07:53 AM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

Honestly, I DON'T KNOW anymore! With all this contradictory info I'm finding it difficult to figure out what is making it worse or better. I would also really like to hear others opinions on this...

#80312 - 06/17/04 07:59 AM
mickz

IBSGirl-

It looks like you and I are getting to be good buddies!

--------------------
IBS-C, pain predominant

#80316 - 06/17/04 08:05 AM
ibsgrl

oh yes...it seems like we have really similar symptoms...how long have you had this for, where r u from, how old r ya? Also, I think I might have asked you before but do you take any meds or SFS's?
Sorry, so many questions, you don't have to answer at all but I was just wondering! It just really helps to "compare notes" with someone who is experiencing the same thing, ya know?

#80320 - 06/17/04 08:13 AM
mickz

I'm 34 years old and I live in Florida. I've had IBS-C for about 10 years, although its gotten worse in the past couple of years. I currently take acacia and I'm also on Lactulose. Lactulose is great; its a rx stool softner that I take at night.

--------------------
IBS-C, pain predominant

Have you been tested for celiac? new
      #80378 - 06/17/04 09:50 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

What you're actually avoiding is not carbs (those veggies you're eating are almost all carbs). What you're avoiding is grains, and as a result soluble fiber, and if you feel better without grains the odds aren't bad that you have celiac and have been misdiagnosed as having IBS. I'd double-check with your doc to make sure you did get tested for celiac - if you haven't been, insist on that test.

You can follow the IBS diet and choose lower glycemic foods - there's info on that in the diet FAQ.

I'm not sure of the details of the diet you're following, but anything high in meats and low in soluble fiber is really not a good bet for your health overall, let alone bowel health. There's a sticky post on Atkins, low carb, etc. at the top of the board that addresses this. You might also check the diet studies in the research library on the message boards for interesting info.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

For Heather: Re: Have you been tested for celiac? new
      #80387 - 06/17/04 10:13 AM
mickz

Can you be tested by your PCP or would I have to go to my Gastro. Doc?

--------------------
IBS-C, pain predominant

The initial test is just bloodwork... new
      #80398 - 06/17/04 10:34 AM
HeatherAdministrator

so any doc could do it. What they'll do is check your blood for antibodies to gluten (a protein found in many grains). If that test is positive, they'll likely do a small bowel biopsy to check for damage to the bowel lining. That you would need a GI doc for.

Here's the catch - if you've been avoiding gluten you can get a false negative from the blood test. So you have to have been eating gluten (it's in wheat, rye, barley, and other grains) for 4-6 weeks before you take the test.

If you ever have skin problems or joint pain in association with your bowel symptoms, that's another red flag for celiac.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Heather... new
      #80436 - 06/17/04 11:46 AM
ibsgrl

is constipation a symptom of Celiac? I thought it was only diarrhea, but among many other things of course.

Re: Heather... new
      #80439 - 06/17/04 11:49 AM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey Ibsgrl,

Constipation can be a symptom of Celiac. A lot of doctors think it's just D but that recently has proven to not be the case. Here's a really good link that includes a fairly comphrehensive list of possible celiac symptoms: http://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodid=6&p_catid=2&sid=91hH9H0-THMA6L5-04104539362.da

Take care,
Kelly

Thank you Kelly! new
      #80442 - 06/17/04 11:53 AM
ibsgrl

that clears things up!
ok i'm going to read over those posts again...but just wondering, does a normal blood test show signs of it?
Thanks so much.

Your Welcome! new
      #80444 - 06/17/04 11:55 AM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

A blood test can show celiac, but it's not the most accurate of tests and from what I've read there are a lot of false negatives. Endoscopy is often used to diagnose it, and if you check out my post to sara-sage, I also mentioned a new testing method through stool cultures that's available.

Hope that helps!
Kelly

Have mercy! I've got almost every single symptom! -nt- new
      #80571 - 06/17/04 05:01 PM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Yes - this is why it's so crucial that people INSIST on a celiac test... new
      #80667 - 06/17/04 09:43 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Too many docs think celiac just causes constipation, or that it's too rare to bother testing for - both false!! My own aunt has celiac, and she figured it out when she was in her fifties - imagine having this for fifty years, seeing God knows how many doctors, and never once having them give you this test. She had to basically argue her doctor into giving her the test (after her own research led her to suspect celiac) because he just thought there was no chance she'd have the disorder. Her primary symptom when she ate gluten was skin lesions/blisters - she got this much more than any GI symptoms. It's an odd little disease, but a serious one, and it can cause permanent damage to your GI tract if it goes undiagnosed.

- Heather

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 730 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2088

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review