All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Problem with avocado's...what did I do wrong?
      #80217 - 06/16/04 11:31 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey Guys,

I wasn't sure whether to post this on the recipe board or here, I was hoping I might get more responses here so that's what I'm doing.

I made myself some avocado dip for the first time last night to try and start to incorporate some fruits into my diet (I'm not really getting any right now). I used avocado, low-fat mayo, some lemon juice, salt and garlic powder. It came out tasting great, but I didn't want to eat it last night, so I sealed it in airtight containers and put it in the fridge.

Well, I went to have some tonight and the top centimeter or so all around was a much darker colour, almost a brown and the rest of it looked ok. I double-checked and the container was still properly sealed...is this normal? I didn't know whether or not I could eat it? Does avocado dip not keep in the fridge?

Any advice would be great, I was sooo looking forward to it and now it's just sitting in my fridge

Thanks!
Kelly

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Problem with avocado's...what did I do wrong? new
      #80218 - 06/16/04 11:39 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

Kelly,

This is totally normal when dealing with avocados. A trick is to keep the pit of the avocado with the dip until you use it, and it helps deter the browning (why I don't know). The lemon juice should also help minimize the browning (oxidation?).

Anyway, your options are just to stir it back in, which does take away from the green color a bit but is totally harmless, or you can scrape off that top centimeter. I usually just stir it in with the rest so I don't have to look at it but don't lose any yummy avocado.

Enjoy!

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

Re: Problem with avocado's...what did I do wrong? new
      #80219 - 06/16/04 11:39 PM
jrs

Reged: 03/31/03
Loc: Aberystwyth, Wales

Hey, I'm not sure about your current situation with the fridge storage, but I just wanted to warn you that avocado is a high-fat fruit (4.9 grams per ounce of fruit, according to this website, so it might not be the best choice for an IBS diet. You might want to consider incorporating other fruits if that's your goal.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4924 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 359

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review