All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
For Evan (or anyone else who has taken Librax)
      #79529 - 06/15/04 02:47 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey Evan,

You mentioned in an earlier post that you've taken (or are taking) Librax. I was just wondering, do you take it on a regular basis? If so, is your doc ok with you being on it long-term? I mentioned the drug to a doc who I saw yesterday (who in all fairness wasn't my normal doc) and he was just like "absolutely not!" we would never give that for IBS! Which doesn't make sense because i've seen it listed numerous places as a drug targeted for IBS.

Any details you can give me on your experience with it I would really appreciate it

Thanks,
Kelly

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Yes, I take Librax.... new
      #79556 - 06/15/04 03:13 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hey Kelly,

I have been taking Librax for about 3 yrs now. I started taking 3 a day one 30 minutes before meals. I dropped down to 2 a day and now I am trying to take 1 a day. Sometimes when I am really stressed I go back to taking 2 a day.

I started taking mine after I had my first panic attack which seemed to effect my stomach, too. My sister took it for her IBS so I asked about it. My doc was OK with it and everytime I go for checkup she said it was OK as long as it was helping. She suggested cutting back and only taking it as needed if that was possible. I guess the fear here is that it can be addicting. It is in the same family as Xanax. If you have been on it for awhile you need to taper off and never go off of it suddenly or you may have withdrawal.

Some docs are afraid of the addiction problem with these meds so if you really want to take Librax you will have to find a doc that agrees with it.

Barbie

--------------------

Re: For Evan (or anyone else who has taken Librax) new
      #79740 - 06/15/04 07:53 PM
Gr8ful

Reged: 03/15/04
Loc: Orange County CA

I just started Librax 4 weeks ago. I specifically asked if this was temporary or a long term solution - her reply was long-term if it continues to help.

Leigh

For Leigh new
      #79741 - 06/15/04 07:55 PM
Vicam

Have you found that it's helping you? Did it take long to start working?

Kelly

Thanks Barbie! new
      #79743 - 06/15/04 07:56 PM
Vicam

Thanks for the info Barbie! I too get panic attacks which I why I thought the combo in Librax would be of good benefit to me, but yeah, so far no docs willing to go for it. I noticed you buy it online (like so many other drugs) without a prescription but I really don't want to go there.

Do you find you can function ok when taking it? Even with Xanax? For example, can you drive and work ok?

Kelly

Re: For Leigh new
      #79749 - 06/15/04 08:00 PM
Gr8ful

Reged: 03/15/04
Loc: Orange County CA

I think that it has helped with pain - particulary in the evenings. I still have some pain but not as intense. It hasn't helped much with gas which the doctor said it would.

The best thing about it for me is that I sleep really well at night! (I think it has a small amount of valium in it). So at least I am well rested which I think helps a lot.

Leigh

#79760 - 06/15/04 08:15 PM
TammyLaurendi

Reged: 09/16/03
Loc: Western New York

I use Librax very infrequently. Only when the spasams are so bad and eating bread or something doesn't calm them down within 30 minutes or so. The pain get unbearable at times and Librax is all that works for me. I take it so seldom that my refills expired at the pharmacy before I needed them.

I do take two other pyscotropic (sp?) medications daily so maybe I just don't need the Lybrax as much?

Use what works for you and what you need. In the begining it was a life saver.

--------------------
Peace,
Tammy

#79859 - 06/16/04 07:47 AM
bttrfly08

Reged: 05/06/04
Loc: Queens, NY

I started the librax 3 weeks ago and it helps me totally with anxiety which helps with the ibs in general for me. I was supposed to take it 2 times a day, but i have only been taking it once a day and it seems to work well. The doctor wasn't thrilled to give it to me originally because it has a mild tranquilizer and i'm kinda small, but i am doing good with it, so he is monitoring the dosage so that eventually i will only take it as needed. Good luck!

--------------------
Things happen for a reason...just believe

Info on Librax new
      #79864 - 06/16/04 08:11 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi Kelly,

Here is a site that might be helpful about Librax. I don't understand why your doc won't prescribe it.

http://www.gicare.com/pated/chlordiazepoxide_clidinium.htm

BTW, I don't buy my meds on-line. I don't think that is very safe. I get them from my doc and use Librax under her supervision. Also, if I have to take Xanax (only occasionally) I take it about an hour before driving. It seems like the first hour you might be a little drowsy.I think it's best to try a new med on a day when you will be home so you can see what the side effects will be.

Barbie

--------------------

#79964 - 06/16/04 10:59 AM
hslib

Reged: 11/23/03
Loc: VA

When I was first diagnosed (by symptoms only) about 18 years ago, the doctor put me on Librax without hesitation. It helped the anxiety and nervousness b/c of the "slight" trace of a sedative. I was on it regularly for almost 2 years. Then my IBS seemed to be ok as long as I watched what I ate. Whenever I had other spells later in life, I would go on it temp. However, my general dr. had a problem b/c of the sedative. This past fall, I started a new position, and b/c of the anxiety of learning new things and wanting to do everything right, I had a pretty bad spell and lost about 10-15 pounds over a period of about 6 months. I went to the Gastro spec. and he had no problem at all with putting me back on the Librax. He said the trace of sedative was nothing to worry about. He laughed and said he didn't know of any Librax addicts that he could remember (and he's been practicing for many years). He said if it works for me, than I should be on it. Hope that helps.

Librax new
      #80054 - 06/16/04 02:42 PM
Evan

Reged: 04/03/04

My understanding of Librax is that it helps to reduce the anxiety and also is an anti spasmodic. It works for me when ever I'm going into a high stress situation, don't know where I'm going to end up eating or have to fly- which I do a lot. Also- if I've had a really bad episode, it relaxes the cramping....I've been taking it intermitently for over a year....no side effects at all.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1618 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2879

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review