All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
What causes mucus in the stool?
      #79306 - 06/15/04 09:15 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Do we know the physiological reason for mucus in the stool?

Having mucus in the stool IS an indicator of IBS but does anyone know the cause? Is it eating a particular trigger food, a bacterial infection, caused by certain types of medication, stress, what?

I've noticed that having mucus will come and go, at least with me, and I'm curious as to the cause.

I've searched on this web site and others and cannot find an answer. I'm hoping someone else here will know.

Thanks a million, if you do.

Kandee

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What causes mucus in the stool? new
      #79323 - 06/15/04 09:34 AM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

Kandee, I think this may help "explain" it, also I get the feeling the exact cause of it is somewhat a mystery.

as the bowel wall spasms it sheds cells in IBS, which is annoying but harmless.

"Excess mucus production, which often occurs in IBS, is not related to mucosal injury. Its cause is unclear, but it may be related to cholinergic hyperactivity."
http://www.merck.com/mrkshared/mmanual/section3/chapter32/32a.jsp

I have also read that dairy can cause it, but there may or may not be truth to that?

#79333 - 06/15/04 09:51 AM

Unregistered

I was told that it's the lining in the intestines I don't know how to say it exactly but I think it's because of not being co-ordinated and going crazy the lining is shed and that's the mucus.

If I wrong someone let me know please!

#79335 - 06/15/04 09:55 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

I always though it was just because the mucus we swallow (e.g. from our noses) passes through our intestines undigested, which is why it shows up in our stool. But I could be wrong!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#79381 - 06/15/04 10:53 AM
Kandee

Quote:

Kandee, I think this may help "explain" it, also I get the feeling the exact cause of it is somewhat a mystery.
It sure seem this is the case!!!

as the bowel wall spasms it sheds cells in IBS, which is annoying but harmless.

"Excess mucus production, which often occurs in IBS, is not related to mucosal injury. Its cause is unclear, but it may be related to cholinergic hyperactivity."
http://www.merck.com/mrkshared/mmanual/section3/chapter32/32a.jsp Thanks so much for the site...What it did say was that the mucus was more common in "c's" so that would make sense since I am one.

I have also read that dairy can cause it, but there may or may not be truth to that? I've been known to cheat at times with dairy, so that would make sense too.

Thanks so much, but what I want to know Ibsgrl, is what is your first name, and how did you get to be so INCREDIBLY smart for such a young age????????????

Kandee

--------------------

Kree new
      #79383 - 06/15/04 10:55 AM
Kandee

Quote:

I always though it was just because the mucus we swallow (e.g. from our noses) passes through our intestines undigested, which is why it shows up in our stool. But I could be wrong! So if we blow our noses more we won't get it? LOL Interesting theory!! Kandee

--------------------

#79471 - 06/15/04 01:35 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Someone told me that it was the intestines thinking that they're are irritated (with the fecked up IBS nervous sytem down there! ) and so producing mucus to try and sooth things down. But there's no actual irritation in the first place!

Also, I think it's partly when your BMs kinda separate into hard bits and mucus instead of normal poo!

I looked it up new
      #79474 - 06/15/04 01:39 PM

Unregistered

I found this short description...
When the bowel is overactive, its secretions increase and this may cause the stools to be covered in a stringy stubstance (mucous).

Re: I looked it up new
      #79509 - 06/15/04 02:16 PM
Kandee

Quote:

I found this short description...
When the bowel is overactive, its secretions increase and this may cause the stools to be covered in a stringy stubstance (mucous).

Hey Robyn, Did they say what "overactive" meant? Going to often, trigger foods making it work harder or not hard enough, what? I'm wondering?

Kandee

--------------------

#79512 - 06/15/04 02:22 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I'd say it's "triggered". I.e. a crazy IBS bowel.

#79513 - 06/15/04 02:23 PM
Kandee

Quote:

Someone told me that it was the intestines thinking that they're are irritated (with the fecked up IBS nervous sytem down there! ) and so producing mucus to try and sooth things down. But there's no actual irritation in the first place!

Also, I think it's partly when your BMs kinda separate into hard bits and mucus instead of normal poo!

I doubt it is the lining of the intestines but I don't question the fact that intestines could be irritated by all sorts of things. Look at how different the poo is.........most of us have something different coming out all the time.

I never had "hard bits" poo with mucus.........only just a regular looking, and yes, and floating type stool. It is just an occurance that happens every couple of months so I wondered what in the world could trigger it. I think, in some ways it really is still a mystery and suspect a lot of experts disagree on it.

Kandee

--------------------

Kandee new
      #79524 - 06/15/04 02:39 PM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

hehe Kandee, you're so sweet. I really don't think I'm especially smart for my age, I'm just very curious & interested in finding the answers to things, and just figuring out the mystery that is IBS!!! ahhhhh!!! Besides, everyone here has helped me SO MUCH - whether its recommendations or just support it is so great.

I've also realized that people are VERY uneducated about IBS and ESPECIALLY what can be done to lessen symptoms and possibly banish it forever! I mean, before I found this site I had NO CLUE about ANYTHING (medications, diets and SFS's --- I mean, many times when a new person comes here they have no clue what they are and how they can help and neither did I!!!)

What has amazed me is how much more helpful, valuable and truthful opinions and experiences are when they come from people actually going through the exact same thing as you, rather than doctors. Even though I'm still not feeling great, I'm hopeful that I eventually will feel "normal" again and that at least I have people who I can talk to openly with, about an otherwise "embarassing" topic.

Anyhoo, that was a long enough post! hehe.

oh! and btw, my name is Caryn.

#79796 - 06/15/04 11:19 PM

Unregistered

I don't have that problem myself and only had it once about 10 years ago.

I got that info fromt he Canadain Society of Intestinal Research. It was sent to me in a package about IBS for the people at bad gut.

info@badgut.com

They have been really good about e-mailing me back and sending out free info to you. Maybe they could help you more.

Thanks Robyn.. new
      #79798 - 06/15/04 11:27 PM
Kandee

Quote:

I don't have that problem myself and only had it once about 10 years ago.

I got that info fromt he Canadain Society of Intestinal Research. It was sent to me in a package about IBS for the people at bad gut.

info@badgut.com

They have been really good about e-mailing me back and sending out free info to you. Maybe they could help you more.

I think I'll email them about it and see what they have to say.

Kandee

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 321 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1509

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review