All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
bipolar disorder and IBS
      #788 - 02/12/03 07:55 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

IBS is statistically more prevalent in persons with bipolar disorder. So, of course I've got both of them . I don't need any particular advice, just some sympathy; I'm having a really bad couple of weeks. When I get depressed or otherwise off-kilter I crave salt, fat, salads, baked potatoes with sour cream--not foods I should eat. But heck, at least I'm eating, right? I'm supposed to do the same things to keep both disorders in check: walk a lot, eat sensible, regular meals, sleep enough and regularly. Ha. Did I mention that I'm in college? <sigh> I guess I'm feeling really stuck right now. I'm on a mood stabilizer and in therapy and I take fiber pills for the IBS...I'll cook more next week when I've gotten through a couple of midterms...for now I just need to rant. Thanks for reading this all the way through .

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: bipolar disorder and IBS new
      #790 - 02/12/03 08:07 PM
juniorrachel

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: St. Louis, MO

you definitely have my sympathy. i don't have bipolar disorder, but my sister does, along with ADD. what i think is interesting is they say getting enough sleep should help you. but one of my sister's symptoms is insomnia. if that's something you struggle with, too, that must be extra rough. and college doesn't allow for a healthy lifestyle very easily. but i'm sure you'll make it. you seem like a strong person. and by the way, i really like your suggestions on the recipe board... cuz they're usually one or two servings... perfect for a girl like me who lives alone.

good luck!

beth

#791 - 02/12/03 08:07 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

TessLouise - I feel for ya, kiddo. My husband is bipolar and has been since he was 18 and is now 57. What a yukky thing to have with IBS, and, I of all people, should know. I've lived w/him for 22 years and have gone through a lot. Just keep taking your meds (don't know what kind you take) but he takes Eskalith CR, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, and Lamictal to stay stabilized. Don't think he has IBS, tho. He can't take the Zoloft every day because he has a linear ulcer in his stomach and it makes him nauseated so he takes a half every other day. Anyway, try to fight the cravings, or find other things to substitute. What about tofu w/lemon juice added instead of sour cream on your potato?

Keep in touch with us, okay?
Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#792 - 02/12/03 08:08 PM
juniorrachel

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: St. Louis, MO

p.s. my sister describes my IBS as "your intestines are bipolar" which is true... i have alternating IBS, so it's one extreme or the other. so my guts understand ;-)

#798 - 02/12/03 10:52 PM
TessLouise

Thanks. I just need to know I'm not in this alone.

#799 - 02/12/03 10:54 PM
TessLouise

Hee hee, I've heard that too: neither my head nor my gut can decide which way is up! I'm glad my recipes have been helpful. If you come across more safe ones that serve 1-2, please post them on the recipe board; I'm always looking, too. Thanks for being supportive.

#342098 - 02/13/09 10:50 PM
sathyan

Reged: 02/13/09

the proper diet also has a great support toward the bipolar disorder .it helps some means of recovery from this dis order.
----
sathyan

Manic Depression News and Discussion Forum

help with insomnia new
      #342106 - 02/14/09 11:04 AM
glasgowgirl

Reged: 09/01/08
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

I practice a form of guided meditation called Yoga Nidra to help when I'm feeling stressed. It's also meant to be great for insomnia. One insomniac in my class described it as life changing.

That's so cool your a hair designer. It must be interesting to help people transform the way they look.I'm taking the plunge as going from brown to blond next weekend at the Toni and Guy salon. My partner keeps checking that I won't end up with a short hair cut. It makes me laugh as he does this every time I go to the hairdresser.

--------------------
Stable IBS D

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1171 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4878

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review