All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
How much fiber do you take a day?
      #78565 - 06/13/04 11:21 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I know what Heather's recommendations are on the site and in the book, but I want to know - especially from those of you who are STABLE now - how much (in grams) fiber do you *actually* take in the form of a SFS on a daily basis?

Don't worry, I'm not jumping directly up to that amount in desperation for stability. I'm just still in the process of finding my perfect SFS, and I'm curious.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How much fiber do you take a day? new
      #78566 - 06/13/04 11:23 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Hi, AR! I take 3 teaspoons of Metamucil which if I remember right is one tsp = 3.4 grams x 3 = 10.2 grams total if I did the math right. Fibro frog strikes again. Ribbit.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

You're better at math than I am! new
      #78568 - 06/13/04 11:41 AM
atomic rose

I would have had to bust out the calculator for sure.

Three teaspoons or 3 tablespoons? I don't mean to question ya... going by the information here on the site, a tablespoon of Metamucil has 2g soluble and 1g insoluble. Unless Metamucil's changed. Or my head isn't working. Both are possible. Heh.

SFS new
      #78580 - 06/13/04 12:50 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I take 2T Acacia (9g SF) when I remember my bedtime dose - 1T when I don't !

And if my tummy's dodgy, I take a dose ad hoc.

Linz... (I'm babbling, sorry) new
      #78603 - 06/13/04 02:25 PM
atomic rose

I just read your comment in my other post, and ya know, you're coming close to making an acacia convert out of me. Although I'm still having problems eating, I like the idea that I can add it to food, not just chug it down in a glass of water. I just wish there was some way of trying it first without buying that large of a quantity. Did you start right out with the acacia, or did you switch over to it? If you switched, did you have any problems switching? (I'm envisioning having to start all over again!)

What kind of prompted this is that I spent $9 on a tub of citrucel. It agrees me with me ok, I guess, but after using it for, what, a week? 2 weeks? I'm finding that I can't increase past 1 tsp a day because the texture is so vile. So I ran out today and bought Citrucel caplets, another $16. I guess they'll do for now, but I did the math and realized how many I'd have to take in a day to get a decent amount of fiber, and it just about made me sick. But like I said, I've gotten kind of comfortable with the Citrucel now. I'm afraid to switch!

Re: You're better at math than I am! new
      #78604 - 06/13/04 02:35 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Three TEASPOONS, definitely. I copied this off the Metamucil info at drugstore.com:

Active Ingredients: Each rounded teaspoonful contains:: Pure Psyllium Husk Fiber (3.4 Grams of 95%)
Can be taken up to 3 times daily.

If the info here is wrong, just let Heather know and she'll update it.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Re: You're better at math than I am! new
      #78607 - 06/13/04 02:41 PM
atomic rose

Rockin'. I will let Heather know... and thank you for your replies, by the way.

Re: Linz... (I'm babbling, sorry) new
      #78612 - 06/13/04 02:49 PM
Linz

I switched straight to Acacia from my other SFS (which was also gloopy) and had no problems whatsoever! But maybe I'm just not so sensitive to SFSs? It just feels like I'm not taking anything in a way cos I don't notice taking it!

And one bag lasts for ages- it's way better value than the individual sachets in boxes that I was buying (Fybogel).

Re: Linz... (I'm babbling, sorry) new
      #78686 - 06/13/04 05:48 PM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

I had no problems at all switching from Fiber Choice tablets, to Citrucel, to Benefiber, and now to Acacia....as long as I made sure about the doses and how much fiber it was. But I never had problems switching!

--------------------
~Cara~

Cool. new
      #78704 - 06/13/04 06:20 PM
atomic rose

I think I'll feel better about switching once I've worked up to a little more of a dose. The amount of citrucel I've been taking isn't even equal to 1/4 tsp of the acacia, I don't think - hah!

Thanks for all the responses, everyone.

atomicrose new
      #78715 - 06/13/04 06:41 PM
Linz

As you're having trouble upping your Citrucel dose, I'd just switch now. Even if it means you start on a teeny-weeny dose of Acacia. It's just that it's so much gentler on the tummy.

Hmm... new
      #78738 - 06/13/04 07:28 PM
atomic rose

The awful part is that I was thinking that too... just after I'd spent the $16 on the citrucel, and opened the bottle, so I can't return it. Sigh.

I wonder if anyone on here uses citrucel and would be up for a trade or discount purchase? Haha...

Re: How much fiber do you take a day? new
      #78858 - 06/14/04 06:47 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

I have been stable since Jan or Feb (knock on wood) and I am taking 9 grams of soluble fiber supplement. I think I may take it up to 10 or 12..... but I am not sure --- we'll see how my tummy likes that.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1007 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1517

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review