All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Supplement Questions
      #7651 - 04/28/03 07:22 AM
wac

Reged: 03/24/03
Loc: Casselberry, FL

Hey out there. Hope everyone is feeling well today. I have a couple questions about supplements. Can anyone give me a brand name of a multivitamin supplement. Some are really hard on my stomach but I know I need to be taking one. Also, is Caltrate the easiest calcium supplement? Lastly, I read in Heather's book about taking Anise for bloating and gas. Has anyone tried this? If so - where did you find it and how do you make it? Thanks for the help!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Supplement Questions new
      #7655 - 04/28/03 08:20 AM
Lorna

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Not too sure about the multivitamin, but I have heard that Prenatal vitamins are easy on the stomach. I am not sure of any brand names of prenatal vitamins, as I have never been pregnant, but maybe someone else can help out??

As for anise, I believe Heather meant Fennel. Fennel is licorice flavoured so I believe it's the same thing. You can buy fennel seeds in the spice section at the grocery store and use a tea strainer. Alternatively, you can purchase fennel tea bags from a health food store. It really does help with bloating. I didn't like the taste of fennel by itself though, so I added honey to it, but then the honey gave me bloating and gas. I now drink loose tea that I buy at a specialty tea store in town. One of my favorites with fennel in it is lemongrass, fennel, orange peel and ginger. It is very good.

Good Luck!

--------------------
Lorna

#7669 - 04/28/03 09:58 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I'm not sure about the multi-vitamin. I stopped taking mine (one a day for women) awhile ago, because I think it was upsetting my stomach. I do take the generic form of caltrate+D (I get the huge bottle at Sam's and it works just as great), but I have IBS-D. I'm not sure which kind you have, but if you're C, you may want to do the magnesium also, since the calcium is a constipating effect.

I haven't tried the anise, but the fennel does work for me.

Hope this helps at least some!

#7672 - 04/28/03 11:25 AM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

You may want to look into a liquid multi as it is absorbed quicker and has less fillers; usually what are hard on the tummy. The prenatals were not good for me as the high iron content made my C worse! But, you might want to try a health food shop to get some advice; they tend to be very familiar with the products they sell. Good luck!

Christianne

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

#7702 - 04/28/03 03:25 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Do a board search with the "search" button for vitamin and calcium info - I think we've had a lot of posts on those topics.

Anise is a spice, tastes like licorice, can be bought at any bulk spice section of a grocery or health food store. Brew it in a tea strainer like you would loose tea.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 664 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 802

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review