All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Gastroparesis Info - Very Interesting
      #76486 - 06/05/04 05:43 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

There've been a couple of posts recently from a woman who runs a forum about gastroparesis. I was curious and did a little research. The symptoms sounds exactly like what some people here have been describing lately:

"Symptoms
The usual symptoms of gastroparesis are a feeling of fullness after only a few bites of food, bloating, excessive belching, and nausea. At times there will be a vague, nagging ache in the upper abdomen but usually the pain is not sharp or crampy as might occur with ulcers or a gallbladder attack. There may be vomiting, heartburn, or regurgitation of stomach fluid into the mouth. Medications that reduce or eliminate stomach acid usually don't help much."

Here's two good links that I found. The above quote is from the first link.

http://www.gicare.com/pated/ecdgs45.htm

http://www.aboutgerd.org/Gastroparesis.html

This is just FYI, everybody. Take what you like and leave the rest. Hope it helps someone.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Gastroparesis Info - Very Interesting new
      #76494 - 06/05/04 08:25 PM
bsinnett

Reged: 06/03/04
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska

Here is another one.

The Gastroparesis and Dysmotilities Association was founded in June, 2002 and is registered under the Charities Act of Canada. It was established to find answers by supporting research, increasing public awareness, and providing information to those who suffer with Gastroparesis and related dysmotilities.

http://www.gpda.net/

On a different note the recipes on Heather's site here have been wonderful for some suffering with gastroparesis as well. Given the very limited diet they have to live with its so nice to find options that taste so wonderful.

Take Care,
Bonnie

Edited by bsinnett (06/05/04 08:34 PM)

Re: Gastroparesis Info - Very Interesting new
      #76716 - 06/07/04 02:01 AM
Bethellen

Reged: 06/04/04

The number one complaint of most Gastroparesis sufferers is nausea that isn't even relieved with the top nausea medications used for patients that have cancer. The nausea just nags away all day using up the little energy the patient has.

Symptoms such as depression and insomnia go hand in hand with Gastroparesis patients also.

All these issues were addressed at the First Interntaional Task Force Meeting on Gastroparesis last May in Orlando Florida. The greatest minds in motility came together to create a database and registry for the gastroparesis patient in order to streamline research for what is needed most. Patients need symptom control to increase the quality of life why we patiently wait for a cure.

A scientific panel came together at the National Institutes of Health in early April of this year. The panel was invited by the director of the NIDDK section of the NIH to present to the director of the NIH. Anytime a meeting like this takes place, a report is generated and sent to Congress. It is hoped that through this important meeting that our law makers will set aside some of the pot of money for the very misunderstood motility diseases.

I'm a nurse as well as a patient, so items such as this holds a great deal of importance to me as it should for anyone that suffers.

Personally, I live on tube feedings, because my stomach refuses to empty. I actually have a tube into the stomach to remove contents as well as a tube in my small intestine for infusing feedings. Whatever can't make it out through the tube in my tummy is vomited.

It's just hard to see so many suffering, and most do not have a doctor that specializes in these diseases. I'm all for educating the patients as well as physicians.

You wonder why am I still awake at 5:00 AM EST, the nausea and pain are having a field day at the moment.

Gastroparesis leaves very little that we are able to control. I might not be able to control the disease, but I can control making others more aware, and possibly educate others.

Since the diseases of the gut have things others just do not care to hear about, so we are left with a choice: Make a difference while you are suffering to hopefully making it easier on those that suffer later. I have chosen to make a difference NOW.

Bethellen

Edited by Bethellen (06/07/04 02:03 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 879 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 410

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review