All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
How do I get a good nights sleep!!
      #75419 - 06/02/04 04:58 AM
CathUK

Reged: 05/25/04
Loc: Cambridge, UK

Have any of you found that your IBS and stress levels become significantly worse when you do not sleep properly. I have always got to sleep easily, but wake up several times in the night and am very restless and dreamy. I don't dare take any more tablets, as everything seems to have side effects worse than the symptoms. I have tried relaxation techniques and the hypnosis tapes, don't have caffeine etc. Somehow I just can't seem to get a good nights sleep and it is driving me mad! Sometimes I just feel that if someone could knock me out for the night I might be OK. Thanks to everyone on the board who keeps me sane – I just wish that I could eat things like wheat/corn/soya/potatoes like some of you seem to be able to (oh for a slice of toast!), but unfortunately they are lethal even though I am not celiac. Oh well, more fish, rice and bananas for me!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How do I get a good nights sleep!! new
      #75421 - 06/02/04 05:05 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Yoga is amazing. Do a practice and then get into bed and do corpse pose. Also, a warm glass of (rice?) milk sends me back to sleep if I do wake up.

Some people on here take Benadryl.

You can't eat potatoes? Why? Are you on a SFS?

#75425 - 06/02/04 05:19 AM
CathUK

I exercise every evening, but if I did yoga before going to bed I'd never sleep as it wakes me up! The rice milk wouldn't work either as (after having it for a few weeks) it now makes me feel very sick - the only drinks I can have are herb teas.

Regarding potatoes - I don't know why, but they are instant killers for me. I have found this to be the case with other people I know in the UK, and when I saw a gastroenterologist he told me an intolerance to this and wheat were two of the most common intolerences along with dairy. I can have sweet potatoes though (in soup), as apparently they are from a different family of veg.

#75436 - 06/02/04 06:45 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi,

Yes, I do think not sleeping well causes stress and makes IBS worse.
I take OTC Benadryl 30 minutes before bedtime and it does help me become drowsy and sleep pretty well. Although, if I am stressed out about something and wake up during the night, then I can't go back to sleep. My husband takes
Melatonin (herb) and it helps him. Also, I know some people that take Valerian (herb) and that helps. I find I sleep better if my bedroom is cool and dark.

Do you take any medications? Some of them can affect your sleep. It is good that you stay away from caffeine.

So sorry you can't eat potatoes & bread. I would wither away into a little pile on the floor if I couldn't have my potatoes and bread. But I know how you feel because I would stay away from anything that makes me sick.

Barbie

--------------------

#75437 - 06/02/04 06:49 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

Ditto on the melatonin. It's great stuff. I use GNC's brand.

--------------------
~jules

#75440 - 06/02/04 06:52 AM
CathUK

Hi,

Thanks. I have tried valerian, but my problem is waking up in the night, not going to sleep initally. As for not being able to eat potatoes and bread - I can make a mean gluten and yeast free bread and there is always rice bought by the sackload from my local Chinese supermarket!!!

And rice cakes, and rice noodles and rice flour and rice crispies - urrgh makes you feel sick even thinking about all that rice!!!!

Rice milk anyone!

#75443 - 06/02/04 06:59 AM
CathUK

What is this, I have never heard of it before. Does it have any side effects? I am getting to the point where I would kill for a good nights sleep. And a new stomach of course!

Thanks,

Catherine

Melatonin info new
      #75452 - 06/02/04 07:36 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Here is a website that will give you some info on Melatonin

http://www.sleepfoundation.org/publications/melatoninthefact.cfm#2

I have never tried it myself but my husband takes it every night. He takes 1mg tablet. I think I might give it a try, too. I just have a fear of trying anything new.

Barbie

--------------------

Re: Melatonin info new
      #75476 - 06/02/04 08:11 AM
CathUK

Eekk - sounds scary. The list of side effects is a bit daunting - depression is something i don't need any help in getting right now! I am not sure this is even available in the UK, and I din't like the idea of something that is so unregulated. thanks for the suggestion though Barbie - but like you I am too scared to try anything new. My health is balenced on too much of a knife edge at the moment and I can't afford any more time off work!

Maybe I'll just get my partner to bash me over the head with a large blunt object every night - that should give me a few hours at least!!!!

Re: Melatonin info new
      #75508 - 06/02/04 08:53 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

I would also strongly suggest OTC Benadryl or its UK equivalent. Generic name is dicyclomine. It's primarily used as an antihistime but it is also sold under different names as a sleep aid (Sominex for example). My doctor recommended it to me, she and her husband use it! I take two at bed time and am sleeping through the night for the first time in years. The only side effect to speak of is dry mouth, but that's pretty easy to deal with.

The other thought, and it may not apply to you AT ALL, is that waking up with a snap at 3 or 4 am and not being able to get back to sleep is sometimes a sign of clinical depression, which as you may know is a medical condition that affects all systems of the body, not just a psychological issue.

And yes, my IBS is MUCH worse when I'm not sleeping well.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1584 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1521

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review