All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Is this diet good for a redundant colon with IBS?
      #75030 - 05/31/04 03:57 PM
MonikaK35

Reged: 05/31/04

I've been to three doctors over four years and was diagnosed with IBS/constipation and a redundant colon, which means my colon looks like a roller coaster making it even harder for waste to move through. My current doctor prescribed Zelnorm and to eliminate eating such foods as oatmeal, bananas, bagels, white flour, white rice and chocolate, as they are binding. Seems like my diet is high in protein and insoluble fibers. Lately I've been very frustrated with not getting better, so I went online and discovered this site.

Have I been eating all the wrong foods? Do you think this diet will work for IBS with a redundant colon? Won't the soluble fiber be overly constipating?

If anyone out there has the same problems, please let me know.
Thank you *-)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Is this diet good for a redundant colon with IBS? new
      #75034 - 05/31/04 04:15 PM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

No no, you need soluable fiber as I have learned from all the helpful guys and gals on this site.
However, as C'ers we also need insoluable fiber, small amounts at a time. Have you read Heather's info on soluable and insoluable fiber - it is very well explained. There are also lists as to what foods pertain to each category. Personally, I've found bananas to be one of the staples around here, and contrary to your doctors opinion, I believe don't cause or worsen constipation. As well, oatmeal is a good source of fiber, low in fat and does not seem to be a problem for many people. Here is the page if you have not already seen it that will explain to you insoluable and soluable fibers and why you need them both. Oh and welcome to the boards! You will find TONS of great people and excellent information here.

soluable fiber
insoluable fiber

what "binding" is - a hypothesis new
      #75242 - 06/01/04 12:06 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

I think a lot of times people describe things as binding, and we C'ers think "Oh no, just eating this will cause my C to get worse". The things on my mental list of "binding" foods - matzoh, energy bars, white bread, bananas - really shouldn't cause C, but I've had that problem with them in the past.

I think the key is the following: a lot of these foods have a great deal of soluble fiber and not much liquid. If you don't increase the amount of liquid you are getting, you might very well not have enough fluid in your body to keep things moving in your colon. However, if you do drink lots of water and herbal teas and soups, then they really shouldn't give you a problem!

So I say, indulge in those "binding" foods, but have at least 64 oz of liquid each day too (Heather votes for 128 oz, BTW!). I know my C gets worse when I don't have a big ol' glass of tea or water by my side for most of the day.

--AC

This is a really key point - thank you! -nt- new
      #75260 - 06/01/04 12:31 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: what "binding" is - a hypothesis new
      #75324 - 06/01/04 05:34 PM
MonikaK35

Hi AC,

Thanks for responding. Yes, I drink a ton of water and tea a day. My recent colonoscopy revealed two loops in my colon and a narrow passage at the end, so it's impossible to get everything moving through. I'm just so frustrated because I feel like I've gotten so much wrong advice. But I will try drinking even more and adding more soluble fiber back in to my diet.

thanks!
*m

Re: Is this diet good for a redundant colon with IBS? new
      #75325 - 06/01/04 05:37 PM
MonikaK35

Cool. Thanks. I will try adding soluble fiber back in. I guess I've been trying the low-carb thing for a while and eating a ton of insoluble fiber, but it's only adding to the C problem.

I'll keep reading and learning.. thanks!

*-) m

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 516 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 704

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review