All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Soy & Thyroid Question for Heather
      #74715 - 05/30/04 04:39 AM
Daisymc

Reged: 04/10/04
Loc: Alexandria, VA

I just read an article in one of my women's magazines that you should not eat more than three servings of soy per week. "Studies show that soy contains natural estrogen compunds that up levels of proteins binding to-and deactivating--thyroid hormones. So eating excess soy raises the number of inactive hormones, which can't help organs work efficiently." Right now my thyroid is out of wack and my doctor is working on trying to get it balanced. I have been drinking Choc Soy milk with my breakfast to get protein, I am sure that I have it at lest 3 times a week. Should I switch to another kind of milk? I did a search on soy/thyroid & looked at some of the links, they are a little technical. I appreciate any help. With the thyroid being out of wack, I am already tired, cold & such, I don't need anything else messing with my thyroid . I am taking synthroid & we had the levels stablized right before I was diagnosed with IBS and started your diet (which I am very thankful for by the way). The doctor thinks such I changed my diet so radically that could have thrown my Thryoid into working properly. I will discuss the soy issue with her, but wanted to run it by you guys first. When it comes to my IBS, I believe I get better advice from you all .

--------------------
Daisy
"Sometimes you are the Windshield, sometimes you are the bug".

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Soy & Thyroid Question for Heather new
      #75110 - 05/31/04 10:23 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - since there is evidence that soy can cause problems for folks with thyroid issues, there's no harm in your just avoiding it and using rice/oat/almond substitutes instead.

For the past board searches, look for Kandee's posts, as she has great info in plain English. She's much more up on the soy/thyroid issue than I am, and it sounds like your doc is up to speed too, which is good. There's no reason you can't keep your diet IBS safe and just switch your soy foods over to the other dairy subs, and then you should be good to go in all directions.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#75123 - 05/31/04 11:46 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Hi Daisy,

Sorry to hear you're feeling more like the "bug" than the "windshield". How well I know the feeling.

You're sooo right.........you don't need ANYTHING messing with your thyroid. It is a very sensitive organ.

When you say your thyroid is "out of whack" what do you mean exactly? Since you're on Synthroid I assume you are hypo? Correct? Did you go more hypo, or leaning toward hyper?

Please avoid soy. It is a goitegenic and reduces the affectiveness of any thyroid med you are taking. You can successfully be on Heather's diet by substituting any soy product you would use with rice/oat/or almond products. Try the various milk subs to see which you like best. If it's protein you are worried about, rice protein powder added to just about anything will help equally as much as the soy products you've been using. There are also rice and almond cheeses out there that aren't to bad. Check labels of other products you buy and if it uses soybean oil, or textured soybean of any form avoid it. In fact, where ever you see the word soy, please avoid that food that has it.

Here is a thread that was started about 6 months ago. There is lots of reading and lots of posts. web page I hope it helps but if you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask.
That's what we're here for.

Kandee

--------------------

#75124 - 06/01/04 12:04 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

I forgot to add Daisy, and your doc may have explained this to you..........but take your thyroid meds on an EMPTY stomach...1 hr. before eating anything or 2 hrs. after eating. Also, CALCIUM in any form should NOT be consumed 2-3 hrs. from when you took your thyroid meds. Why? Again, it reduces the affectiveness of your thyroid meds. And just because you are avoiding dairy on this diet doesn't mean you'r not getting calcium. Look at ALL the milk subs....rice, etc. They all have added calcium.

Want to learn more? Go to about.com and put in the word hypothyroidism under search. Mary Shomon's site there has a world of info and a good message board too. She also has written some good, easy to read, books on the subject.

Kandee

--------------------

#75210 - 06/01/04 10:50 AM
Daisymc

Reged: 04/10/04
Loc: Alexandria, VA

Kandee,
Thanks for the info. When I first started on Synthroid, I was Hyper. I had my blood levels checked a few weeks ago and the levels were low. My doctor felt that my thyroid had kick started & was working again & decided to lower my dosage from 75 mg to 25 mg. If it wasn't for this website, I would be such a mess. I just can't say enough.

--------------------
Daisy
"Sometimes you are the Windshield, sometimes you are the bug".

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 441 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 569

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review