All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Alcohol Question
      #73446 - 05/25/04 06:52 PM
abby82

Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Nevada

Ok Ive been feeling a lot better for the past month or so and have not drank ANY alcohol since last June. Ive seen a couple posts about people being able to drink a little if they eat a soluble fiber based meal before they go out, but my question is: If you did end up getting sick from the alcohol is it something that could throw everything off and start another long phase of BAD IBS symptoms or is it something that will just hang around for a few days afterwards. I turned 21 last June and its almost like I am JUST NOW starting to feel normal again. Ive really wanted to drink since then but dont dare.....any thoughts or suggestions.....or even drink suggestions....I know I should stay away from it completely but its gettin really hard!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Alcohol Question new
      #73452 - 05/25/04 07:12 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Have you not drunk before? I'd be extra careful if not.

The problem with answering your question is that everyone's different when it comes to tolerating triggers. And different drinks affect everyone differently. I'm okay with a glass of wine with dinner and can even tolerate beer sometimes (though it makes me bloated), but before Christmas I was in hospital having tried a different type of beer!

How about trying half a glass of wine after a safe dinner? Afraid you've just got to work out your tolerances yourself though.

#73499 - 05/25/04 10:26 PM
abby82

Yes I used to drink ALL the time. The last time I did was my 21st birthday and I got really sick. I drank every drink they had in that bar though so I definitely didnt do good on that part! I think I might try a small drink after eating lots of soluble fiber and see how it goes. I used to drink beer and beer only so Im not sure what I'll try. Thanks for your reply!

#73503 - 05/25/04 10:40 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Beer is particularly gassy, so be careful. If you have GERDs avoid white wine.

#73527 - 05/26/04 07:25 AM
mindyj

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Northern Virginia

Abby,
My last really bad time with IBS was triggered partially through drinking. I think it also had some to do with allowing myself to eat too much chocolate and raw vegetables too. But about a month of one to two nights a week of drinking also played its role. I'm just starting to stabalize again after about three or four weeks of being quite sick. This is not to say you need to go cold turkey. It is to say be careful and drink in moderation. As Linz said, I would also stay away from beer. Little liquor drinks (like martinis that you can sip at) were okay for me or a glass or two of wine. Also - DO NOT drink on an empty stomuch and if your doc has put you on any meds for IBS (or other things for that matter) check the interactions with alcohol for any precautions you should have in mind there. Most of all, be sensative to your body - let yourself see gradually where your limit is. Hope this is helpful.
Min

#73533 - 05/26/04 08:12 AM
JBI

Reged: 01/25/04
Loc: BC, Canada

I find Beer really bothers me. I had a night of Rye whiskey and Coke and didn't feel good afterwards... but that might also have been the Coke's fault). The last time I had a number of drinks, red wine was teh drink of choice with a couple shots of hard liqour and I was actually fine, so it's tough to say.

For me personally, I'll only drink if I know that I don't have anything important to do the next day as there is a good chance I won't feel up to doing anything.

#73549 - 05/26/04 09:03 AM
abby82

What kind of wine do you guys drink? I know there is tons out there - are there any kinds to stay away from? Ive never drank wine so I would love brand names or types. Also what kind of martinis/drinks do you guys drink?

#73559 - 05/26/04 09:15 AM
mindyj

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Northern Virginia

I drink sour apple martinis. I'm a sucker for the really sweet drinks! (And who can resist the neon-green look)! I also can't stand the taste of gin, so I go with the vodka martinis. One I would suggest staying away from is the chocolate martini. There are also some martinis with cranberry juice or orange juice in them and I know that's not a dandy one for many people as well - so just take your pick while knowing what's in the martini you're ordering - that would be my advice.

#73561 - 05/26/04 09:26 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Abby, I found out the hard way that any alcohol makes my IBS attacks more frequent and harder to control. I thought it was okay but I was fooling myself and finally had to admit it.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#73570 - 05/26/04 09:40 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

I've always found that red wine hurts more than white wine, but even white can be tough, especially on an empty stomach. When I go out, I usually drink vodka martinis, dirty (lots of olive juice and olives, salty and yummy). I can't stand more than one or two sweet drinks. Stay away from anything with soda (even tonic). My favorite was always a Long Island Iced Tea, but after about 2 of those I am on the floor, and I NEVER feel good the next day. I'm usually okay with as many as 4 beers, but anything more than that and I'm sick all the next day. Just experiment a little and figure out what works best for you.
Always have a full meal before you start drinking, and try to drink some water between every drink or two.
Also, be extremely careful during the last couple of days before your period, and the first 3 days of it. Not only do you get drunk faster because of blood/fluid levels and hormones, but your tummy is also extra tender.
Enjoy!
AP

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6020 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2181

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review