All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Perfectionism?
      #7243 - 04/25/03 09:55 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

I haven't been posting much lately, sorry. I'm going through quite a spell of trying to sort out what, for me, is IBS, what needs diet intervention, what needs medicine that the Dr keeps throwing out me, and what is me doing some of this to myself as I find myself in a cycle where for some DUMB reason I still want to keep losing weight and restricting my eating (to a point) even though all this weight loss began because of very real PAIN from gastritis, etc, it is now more like a habit and I'm trying to figure that out, too.

Related to that, many of you here have mentioned that you would consider yourself a perfectionist. If you have time and care to, check out this article of perfectionism and Christianity (if you do not consider yourself a christian or believe the Bible you may be offended, sorry ahead of time but I believe it!) Pay special attention to the lists at the end of the article. I admitted to Mom (mother in law and friend) that I find myself believing a lot of those misconceptions, not so much the ones about God but the ones about myself and others. It threw her for a loop and now I think she's worry I'm really, truly deluded. Can you all relate to these statements, if you think you are of this personality? And do you think this kind of thinking affects your IBS? Like I said, I don't relate to them all but several.

http://www.realanswers.net/realaudio/perfectionism.htm

Sure is nice to have a place to be downright honest about all this, wouldn't do it ANYWHERE else, admit this stuff, no way!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Perfectionism? new
      #7246 - 04/25/03 10:01 AM
yolie

Reged: 04/23/03
Loc: Phila, PA

Thank you so much for posting this, I have just had a break through! It explains so much and as Christians people are always watching our every move.

#7251 - 04/25/03 10:08 AM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Yolie - Yeh, well try being Jewish!! LOL

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#7253 - 04/25/03 10:10 AM
SharonMello

Michelle - Even tho I'm Jewish, I went to the website and printed out the list of false beliefs. I'm going to go over them later and will comment. Just remember==you're still young and have different concepts than us older folks. Our attitudes seems to change as we age and get "smarter" (I hope I got smarter!)

Will post my thoughts later. ((hugs))

--------------------
Sharon

#7256 - 04/25/03 10:16 AM
yolie

Reged: 04/23/03
Loc: Phila, PA

That is funny!!! Try being the yougest of three, the only girl, all older male cousins in a Spanish home with an extremely stricy father! It's a miracle I am normal, or am I????

#7260 - 04/25/03 10:19 AM
SharonMello

Yolie - I don't think I can beat it!!! LOL But I am the youngest of 3 with a selfish father (now gone). And, yes, you're probably normal--besides, what is the exact definition of normal...no one knows! LOL

--------------------
Sharon

Re: Perfectionism? Normal? new
      #7263 - 04/25/03 10:22 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Normal........"according with, constituting, or not deviating from a norm, rule, or principle: REGULAR (Webster's Dic). What a "normal" definition...and how boring.......

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#7271 - 04/25/03 10:30 AM
KyAngel

Reged: 04/24/03
Loc: Pikeville, Kentucky

Perfectionism when dealing with oneself means that there are some secret hidden lies that we are telling ourselves. I suffered from it from many, many years. As a Christian I found out I was having a hard time accepting the fact I wasn't perfect and that in trying to be perfect I was attempting to be like God in essence and that is something we are not to do. In lying to ourselves we create expectations that will never be met because none of us are perfect. I know the effects of shutting others out of your heart and life.. perfectionism is the core of it all. When you can admit that you are not perfect you see where you are going wrong and you can work to fix it with God's help. That is how I've always viewed perfectionism.

#7273 - 04/25/03 10:34 AM
SharonMello

Jennifer - I need to send this to my sister (who thinks she's perfect)! Thanks. That was great.

--------------------
Sharon

#8219 - 05/04/03 03:16 AM
danie

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: NYC

ec and others - excuse me if I offend you but these are more reasons why organized religions mess up peoples heads!
Brainwashing is the major goal. We are all brainwashed into whatever religion we are born into. What we must strive for, wheather you are religious or not, is to have a happy life. You can be spiritual and a good caring person and not be tied to a zillion rules just because your religion made those up. Strive to be kind to yourself and those around you but keep you life as stress free as possible. Enjoy your life - you only have one.
Danie

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 985 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5893

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review