All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Calorie Question!??
      #71127 - 05/17/04 11:17 AM
abby82

Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Nevada

I was doing a search on here last night about calories/weight gain and one of the posts I read said that EVERYONE should at LEAST get 1500 calories a day. There were also ways to calculate how many you should get and mine was around 1200 - Im 5'5 and usually only around 95 lbs and DESPERATELY trying to gain weight! Ive been adding my total daily calories up the past couple nights and they have been around 1300 to 1400. What are some good SAFE things to add to that? Ive added angel food cake and bagels recently so thats given me around 250 extra calories - Any other suggestions? I want to try smoothies with rice protein but for some reason Im scared to try them. The thought of a glass of rice milk with fruit and protein powder seems like too much "iffy" foods! Can anyone help?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Calorie Question!?? new
      #71144 - 05/17/04 12:28 PM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

Hey there,
First of all 1200-1400 cals a day is definitely not enough, especially if you are trying to gain weight. In fact, the general rule is to eat 20 to 22 calories per pound of your body weight per day. Therefore, if you want to MAINTAIN that weight, you need to eat that much, so obviously if you want to GAIN you're gonna need to eat a whole lot more! I know how hard it can be to want to eat though when you have IBS but there are some things you can eat. Take a look at Heather's IBS Diet pages for ideas. Try pastas, rice, chicken...I'm sure people have lots of ideas. Also if you can, lifting weights might help you gain some muscle and put some weight on you! Hope that helps

#71164 - 05/17/04 01:53 PM
tuxedocat

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Ithaca, NY

You can add banana, mango, or peaches to a smoothie to help make it safer and drink it after having some toast first. If you take acacia you can add that to the smoothie too. Or soy ice cream--but be careful because of the fat.

Or any of Heather's breads will give you added calories (from sugar, but hey, every little bit helps.) Do a board search on weight gain and I'm sure you'll come up with lots of suggestions, since this is a pretty common question.

--------------------
--Julie

#71193 - 05/17/04 04:42 PM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

rice milk should not be "iffy," and if you find some protein powder made from rice, that should be safe, too. rice is one of the - maybe the - safest foods! that's why they have ya feed rice cereal to babies. nice and bland and safe!

put in safe fruits (check the list if you're unsure) and toss in your fiber supplement if it's a tasteless powder.

as for other foods:
rice krispie treats. YUM. and i can vouch for them adding pounds!
sorbet
rice crackers aren't too many calories, but still, every little bit helps. a little rice or soy cheese on top---a good snack.
ADB (antidepressant brownies)
fruit breads. YUM! banana bread is tasty! check the recipe boards for that and more.
um... i'm drawing a blank for more. scour the recipe boards and check the snacks list for more tips.

good luck!

--------------------

#71246 - 05/17/04 07:42 PM
abby82

Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Nevada

Thanks for all your help. I guess I definitely need more calories if Im gonna gain any weight. I found some rice protein powder that is pure brown rice protein so Im gonna give it a try. I dont know how Im gonna add 400-500 more calories in a day but Ill definitely try! Thank you!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6036 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 502

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review