All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Question
      #70870 - 05/16/04 10:49 AM
tarabara04

Reged: 04/06/04
Loc: Bay Area, California, USA

I just saw how this medicine called paxil is supposed to help some people with IBS but it says it doesn't help the pain and it seemed like it only helped with the constipation part. Is it just like cause it has a side effect of diarrhea or something? I was also wondering...what medicines are most of you on for the pain, especially if you are IBS-A. And...do you find that tea is better than the meds/are there icky side effects of the medicines. Thanks..just wondering. Hope you're all doing well. I'm going to catch up on all the posts I missed in a while.

--------------------
If you live life to love, you'll love to live life.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question new
      #70875 - 05/16/04 11:24 AM
heather robin

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania

I am IBS-D and take nortriptyline which is classified as a anti-depressant that has the side effect of constipation and it does something the gut seritonen(sp). I believe Paxil is also a anti-depressant, I am not sure which class it is. Mine was prescribed by my gastro. And I take a lower dosage than someone suffering from depression. Heather has written about them in her book and on the website. It has helped me. But there are side effects. I have dry mouth. I can tolerate it because it has helped me alot. For stomach pain I drink the peppermint/fennel teas, take a peppermint capsule(all Heather's products) and use a heating pad. Hope this helps!

--------------------
IBS-D

#70884 - 05/16/04 12:53 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hey Tara,

Missed you on the boards... The medication I take for IBS is Librax. It helps my anxiety (which causes a lot of my IBS) and relaxes my stomach. I take it 30 minutes before I eat. It has helped me, even though sometimes nothing helps if I eat a trigger food. I have just learned to stay away from some things that are triggers for me and that means always reading labels and keeping a food diary. Librax doesn't help the pain, though, but it does help my stomach from getting in knots if I'm anxious. If the teas or other remedies help, I think that would be better than prescribed medications.

Barbie

--------------------

#70899 - 05/16/04 02:26 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Hey, Tara, for pain relief I take Ultram (generic name tramadol) which is a prescription pain killer that's NOT a narcotic. I take it with Extra Strength generic Tylenol. It's also sold with Tylenol as Ultracet. It's one of the best pain killers for fibro pain and I find it helps with my menstrual cramps and gas cramps also.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#70997 - 05/16/04 08:29 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

Tara, in some people Paxil causes food craving, and added poundage quickly!!

I take Hyosyamine, it also has its side effects, but my cramps are almost nil on it. My GI told me to take it every day, so I do. One tablet works well for me.

#71059 - 05/17/04 07:56 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I am currently on Wellbutrin, which is an anti-depressant similar to Paxil. I am not sure it helps with my tummy directly, but it helps keep me more "even" which in turns helps the tummy! I have tried the anti spasm drugs like Bentyl, Librax and Levsin and they didn't help me. I also take Ultracet for the pain, it is a prescription but isn't a narcotic.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Thanks Everyone! new
      #71087 - 05/17/04 09:19 AM
tarabara04

Reged: 04/06/04
Loc: Bay Area, California, USA

Thanks for your help guys! You're awesome!! HOpe you're having a great day!

--------------------
If you live life to love, you'll love to live life.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 419 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1032

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review