All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Acacia question - may need your help Heather
      #70847 - 05/16/04 09:46 AM
NikkiZ52

Reged: 05/16/04

I have been having nothing but water D lately. I switched from Metamucil to Acacia yesterday, and now my bowels have an awful odor. Is this normal? My doctor did order stool culture tests on friday to see if I have a bacteria, but I have not gotten the results yet. Should I continue with the Acacia?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Acacia question - may need your help Heather new
      #70850 - 05/16/04 09:52 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

how much metamucil were you taking? how much acacia are you taking?

i don't know about the odor-- sometimes that just reflects what you've eaten....

as for continuing on the acacia, i would say - depending on your dose!- you should stick with it. especially if the only adverse reaction you've experienced is a change of odor that may or may not be from the acacia. you may notice some bloating with the acacia for a few days (or with any soluble fiber supplement) when you start or adjust the dose. hang in there. don't increase doeses too quickly--- some people like me give it a few weeks before tinkering with an increase! if you have gas, try some fennel tea.

if you're anything like me, the acacia should impact your watery D for the better in a few days. HANG IN THERE! (of course, if it gets worse or you're increasingly in pain or you constipate, you may want to stop and/or reevaluate the dose!)

--------------------

Re: Acacia question - may need your help Heather new
      #70901 - 05/16/04 02:35 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

I might also suggest the BRAT diet if you're not already following it. BRAT stands for bananas, rice, applesauce and toast. These foods help slow down the diarrhea and give your body a chance to heal. Eat very small amounts at a time, but fairly often. Also, lots of clear liquids. You can get dangerously dehydrated from constant D. There's something called Pedialyte available at the pharmacy counter, that can help restore the electrolyte balance in your body.

If you already knew all this, I apologize. Just wanted to make sure. Hope you feel better soon.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5959 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 498

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review