Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
mini vacation
      #6901 - 04/23/03 10:17 AM
H2

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Ohio

Hi all! I just thought I would share...

I went on a mini-vacation last week at the request of my dad and sister. They know I am uncomfortable traveling and are convinced that I need to travel more to get me over the fear, so we went to Los Angles for the day to visit my great aunt.

I had a 1.5 hour car trip to the airport, about an hour flight from Pittsburgh to Philedelphia, a layover of about 1.5 hours and then a 5.5 hour flight to Los Angles. Took about an hour to rent a car and another half hour to drive to my aunt's house. We were tourists the whole next day, and the day after that we went home. We left her house at 9 am and because of the time difference, I didn't walk in my front door until 1:30 am.

I was exhausted, I suffered from C and D while I was out there, and had an attack at a restaurant, but the point is that I survived and managed to have a great time (although I was anxious a lot). Hopefully it is easier next time, and I am looking forward to my cousin's wedding in Maine in a few weeks!

--------------------
-h2
"Soluble fiber not included."

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: mini vacation new
      #6903 - 04/23/03 10:20 AM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

Im sorry for your attacks, but im so happy that you made out alright overall. What sparked your attack in the restaurant?

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#6905 - 04/23/03 10:31 AM
Laurie

Loc: Houston, TX

That's great! I start a week long vacation in Florida on May 4th. I told hubby that we would just worry about doing stuff in the morning (my usual safe time) and then relax the rest of the day. I don't want to plan to much or I'll get stressed and stress is my biggest trigger.

I'm so happy you survived, it makes life easier knowing you can do it.

--------------------
Laurie

Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission - Eleanor Roosevelt

#6908 - 04/23/03 10:54 AM
H2

My guess is that it was a combination of stress and my own stupidity. There were 4 of us there, and we each ordered a safe entree to share. I ordered steamed rice and had that first, and then we all just ate off plates in the middle while we were talking. Because we were talking and not paying attention, and it wasn't my own plate, I assume that I just ate too much.

I'm getting better about eating in restaurants though - it used to be so stressful that just walking in and smelling the food was enough to send me running for the bathroom!

--------------------
-h2

#6909 - 04/23/03 10:56 AM
Laurie

Loc: Houston, TX

I haven't eaten in a restaurant since November. The simple thought of eating in one makes me anxious. I'm going to have to get over it when I go out of town.

--------------------
Laurie

Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission - Eleanor Roosevelt

#6911 - 04/23/03 11:02 AM
britsarah

Reged: 02/16/03
Loc: United Kingdom

Well done!!
It's so great to get through something you were unsure about doing - sometimes it feels like ibs rules our lives, but life must go on , and now you've done it once it should be much easier.
We're all proud of you!!

Sarah

--------------------
Sarah

Looking for inspiration...

Re: mini vacation-Airport? new
      #6929 - 04/23/03 12:17 PM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

I saw that you went to Pittsburgh to catch your flight, and I had to reply. THat is my hometown and I was curious as to where you are from! I want to move back SO BAD, and just love talking to peole from the area.

Glad you had a nice time!

Christianne

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

#6961 - 04/23/03 02:25 PM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

If that's your mini vacation - I don't even wanna know how long you would be on a plane for one a large vacation LOL.

We are all so proud of you to conquer your anxiety and be able to travel. That is wonderful!!!

And it will just get easier and easier after that!

Way to go!!!!

Lana_Marie

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#6965 - 04/23/03 02:31 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Geez, Heather, that's quite a "mini" vacation--duration time, yes, but stress--yuk! I'm glad you survived it, tho. I thought you were gonna say you went on a 3 hr car trip and then back home again. That was quite a trek. Congrats! Did you take your "safe" stuff w/you?

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#7014 - 04/23/03 06:47 PM
H2

Right now I am in Northeast Ohio - it is kind of a toss up between Pittsburgh and Cleveland when I want to catch a flight, so I just go with what is cheapest. I was born in Harrisburg however, and spent the first half of my life in PA and NJ. My husband and I are fixing up a house in the Harrisburg area and are moving this summer - I can't wait to get back!!!

--------------------
-h2

#7015 - 04/23/03 06:53 PM
H2

Oh boy did I take my safe stuff! I packed about half an angel food cake, a sack of biscuits, tummy mint tea and fat free saltines for the trip. Oh, and of course, Benefiber for my tea, Metamucil wafers in case I couldn't get hot water and some other chewable kind in case I couldn't find cold water. Also, ginger tablets, altoids, peppermint oil, immodium and phenergen. One sack for my food, one for my medicine cabinet! LOL

I am usually ok with short car trips, especially if it is somewhere I am familiar with - my parents' house is 4.5 hours away, but I know where all the rest stops are along the way in case things get bad. My biggest problem is if I am going somewhere unfamiliar, esp. for day trips. If it is an overnight trip, I know there will be a hotel for me, and if I feel bad I can crash in the room with my own bathroom.

It was fun, but I am glad to be back.

--------------------
-h2

#7016 - 04/23/03 06:56 PM
H2

It is so awesome to be able to share with you guys!!! If I tried to tell regular people how rough it was to go on a trip like that, they would just roll their eyes and say "suuure, that's rough."

You guys are the best!

--------------------
-h2

#7042 - 04/24/03 06:54 AM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

I have spent some time in Harrisburg; it is great! Lots of good places to eat! I am trying to find my husband a teaching job in PA so we can come home! Good luck! PA is a great place to live!

-Christianne

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5616 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1538

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review