All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: Here's a Little For Ya new
      #67599 - 05/04/04 11:01 PM
Rebecca

Reged: 05/04/04
Loc: Northern California

I am both C and D. And sometimes at the same time; meaning: I even have to push out D sometimes! Weird huh?
Well, when I have C I use 100% Pure Psyllium Husk. It's called Colon Cleanse. You can buy it at the health food store. I have tried everything ( I do mean everything) when it came to C. Because even the gentlest laxatives give me D immediately! And a whole lot of pain! But this Colon Cleanse was the only laxative that I have ever used that hasn't made me feel like someone was pulling barbed wire through my intestines. So I highly recommend it! My grandma even uses it! She is the one who told me about it and gave me a bottle of it! You take one tablespoon with 8 ounces of juice or tea. I recommend hot tea with it (peppermint or red raspberry leaf), since most juice is a trigger for me. Then drink one more 8 ounce glass of water right after; as a chaser (or juice if you like ), and it works for me within 5 to 6 hours. I don't take it often; because, like I said I get D easily; but if I have C it works painlessly. Actually, the first time I used it, it was painful- not the part when I went to the bathroom- but right after I took it I experienced some bloating. But that only happened once. It was probably because it reacted with something I had eaten prior to taking it, because it only happened the first time I took it. My grandma takes hers right before she goes to bed. I take mine in the morning. It just all depends on how your body works for you.
For you D er's out there ( since I am both ) I have found something that has soothed my bowels for when I have D; which seems to be often enough. It's called : Aloe Vera Gel. I know what you might be thinking, "isn't that the stuff people put on sunburns?" Yup, that's the one. You can also take it internally to sooth the intestines. The brand I use is Lily of the Desert. I take 2 tablespoons once a day in juice (or 1 ounce). But the suggested dose is 2 to 8 oz. I couldn't stomach 8 oz. So I take as much as I can handle. You can add it to your smoothies instead of just plain juice.
Also you can put it in soy or rice milk.
Caution: Some say that Aloe causes bowel movement. So do what you know is best for you if you have D. But Since I have both D and C it works for me just to sooth my colon, it doesn't make me go, but that's me.
Don't take it during pregnancy or while nursing!
In some woman it can promote menstruation when it's suppressed. Also it can heal skin problems when taken internally, like: psoriasis and eczema.
But for the most part it just soothes irritations internally and externally. Like with all herbs you have to take it for at least 3 months before you may see a difference. But if you don't see any change within a year then try something else. At least that's what I do LOL!
Sorry about rambling on and on like this, but one last thing I want to mention. If any of you are like me and can't have chocolate ( it gives me cramps ) then try carob powder instead. It tastes really delicious, kinda like chocolate except without the caffeine effect. It's milder.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Need Some Reassurance!!!!!!!! new
      #67603 - 05/04/04 11:30 PM
MissS

Reged: 02/11/04

I'm a C and I definitely have problems with fruits and vegeys. They don't help me with C at all. I've learned that the solubles are the BEST thing for me. I have to be very careful with insoluble fiber. It really messes with my intestinal system. I've also learned through trial and error, which ones are worse for me. I know how hard it is to forget what we've been taught our whole lives. If our guts were normal, insoluble would be great and do what "they" say. But, not so for us. It really does cause my C to get worse. I'll have D, then C. So, I have to be very careful with insoluble and eat it after i've had plenty of soluble. I don't worry about it as much as I used to. I feel great with more soluble, less insoluble. So, that's what I eat!

Re: No, no no - they're not constipating new
      #67604 - 05/04/04 11:34 PM
MissS

Reged: 02/11/04

They're really not constipating! Bananas are wonderful! I eat a couple everyday, and I'm a C, and they help. I used to hear they were C-ing, too, but as a result of this diet, I've learned otherwise. Bananas are IBS friendly!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1350 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3239

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review