All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
A safe day until....
      #66909 - 05/02/04 09:47 PM
Evan

Reged: 04/03/04

Today was a great day- until dinner tonight. I had two veggie burgers (Boca burgers) on buns and a baked potato. Alright, I sneaked in a couple of M and M's but I was feeling good all day. Right after dinner, I started getting that feeling we all know all too well...the rumbling, the hair standing on your arm...Thank goodness I was home.
Could it have been the baked potato? I know it's a great source of soluble fiber- but I recall when it was a bit underdone (like thsi russett), I had a similar reaction.... For weks now i've been ok- and now this....My first reaction is to take two immodium and make it through tomorrow somehow... I had my acacia fiber before dinner; I was drinking pepeprmint tea all day...Could a potato really have done this or was there something else going on?
Thanks for all your support....

Evan

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Potato? new
      #66912 - 05/03/04 02:29 AM
Lyndeigh

Reged: 02/07/04

Potato?! no way!! Potatoes are one of the absolute safest things out there! Its more likely that the burgers or chocolstr upseted you...or even the buns- if they had any hidden dairy or anything in them

Re: A safe day until.... new
      #66916 - 05/03/04 05:22 AM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

Wow - I just asked this same question like a week ago! I ate a boca burger - and it HURT. Everyone said 'no, boca burgers are safe' - but it didn't agree with me. Maybe the wheat gluten? But then again I can eat other things with wheat gluten.... it's really confusing to me to figure out what I can eat and what I can't. But I know I'll never eat a boca burger again. And I ate a plain one - not the cheese ones or anything.

Anyways, hope you're feeling better!
~Cara

--------------------
~Cara~

what a puzzler! new
      #66936 - 05/03/04 07:02 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

i don't see anything in the Boca Burger ingredients that would be a trigger unless you have a sensitivity to gluten. if you did, i assume you wouldn't have eaten the roll!

a pototo shouldn't do that. UNLESS you ate the skin? that might have been too much for ya.

you may want to keep a food journal if you're trying to get to the bottom of this, if you're having attacks when you think you're being good. the attack could have been triggered by an overfull tummy (was that more food than you're used to? often we get attacks when we're stuffed), or stress, or something you ate in the morning or the night before. i've said before, IBS turns us all into Private Investigators!

--------------------

good point new
      #66964 - 05/03/04 08:18 AM
Evan

Maybe I should've had only one burger- instead of two- and I did eat some of the skin....It's also really hot here in soCal- 102 where I live- does dehydration paly a part in all of thsi?
Anyhow- I'm off to my shrink who is also a hypnotherapist....Sometimes I take an immodium just for the security factor- anyone lese do that? Also- I notice htat there are not a lot of men on this board- do we guys have otehr issues that are differnt/distinct from women?

Thanks for your kind support- again and again...

Evan

heat new
      #66975 - 05/03/04 08:35 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

well, i'm sure dehydration would cause all kinds of havoc. but even without the dehydration, lots of us find heat and/or humidity to be big triggers! i can't tolerate the heat, at all. in fact, most of my biggest attacks have begun in the heat....

as for the quantity of food, if your schedule permits, i've found it best to eat a moderate amount then, if i'm still hungey 20 minutes or so later, have something else. usually i've just eaten too fast and my brain hasn't had time to catch up and register "full!"

there are a few other men sneaking around in here... they're skittish so you have to sneak up on them!

--------------------

Re: good point new
      #67056 - 05/03/04 12:34 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Evan, taking Imodium as a preventive is definitely one of the time-honored techniques many of us use.

Oh, are Boca Burgers soy??? Are you used to soy??? If not, it can really upset your system. Just a thought!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Re: good point new
      #67092 - 05/03/04 01:45 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Quote:

Maybe I should've had only one burger- instead of two- and I did eat some of the skin....It's also really hot here in soCal- 102 where I live- does dehydration paly a part in all of thsi?
Anyhow- I'm off to my shrink who is also a hypnotherapist....Sometimes I take an immodium just for the security factor- anyone lese do that? Also- I notice htat there are not a lot of men on this board- do we guys have otehr issues that are differnt/distinct from women?

Thanks for your kind support- again and again...

Evan

Evan, I was going to mention the quantity you ate, too. I've always been a light eater so maybe I'm not a good one to use as a comparison, but I could never eat 2 burgers and a potato without feeling sick. I can't think of anything besides that that might have bothered you! I hope you start feeling better again soon.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Also check the ingredients... new
      #67100 - 05/03/04 02:09 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

..sometimes they'll sneak cheese in there!

- Jennifer

--------------------
- Jennifer

lots of soy new
      #67126 - 05/03/04 02:54 PM
Evan

Yeah- I'm a vegetarian so I've been eating soy for a long time...burgers, dogs, etc. After discussing with hte the therapist he said you need ot keep a food journal and try to isolate the trigger foods- and situations...
Actually- they are Garden Burgers- the kind that are Vegan- not the mushroom oats- I just checked the fridge.
Thanks for the input...Tonight it's some plain rice and some very safe veggies....
Also- I have to get over the idea that taking meds is a bad thing....

Evan

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4028 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1340

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review