All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Could not eating be causing abdominal cramps?
      #65418 - 04/27/04 06:28 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Has anyone had any experience with getting bad abdominal cramps because they're not eating? I haven't been eating a lot recently, and even less since the barium test, and I seem to be getting worse each day. For example, yesterday I had half a can of potatoes (plain, just a bit of salt), a dinner roll and some pedialyte and that was it. I know that's not good but I just feel too sick to eat anything else (or larger amounts of anything).

Now, I know your actually stomach can get upset and even nauseous if you don't eat enough, but could not eating cause lower abdominal cramps too? I figure tonight I'm going to try having a plain boiled chicken breast with my rice, and hopefully that'll help, but I'm just not sure what to do.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Could not eating be causing abdominal cramps? new
      #65423 - 04/27/04 06:53 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Does for me. Not eating makes me feel awful (which isn't helpful as then I don't feel much like eating anything!). Though atm I'm feeling poohey cos I had too many biccies

#65430 - 04/27/04 07:19 PM
DanaNoel

Reged: 04/06/04
Loc: Houston, Texas

Ok, I was just wondering the same thing. I had a pretty rough IBS week last week - lots of D. I felt so sick and basically stopped eating, or eating much. I swear this made me feel even worse. I even got a new symptom if that were possible. I began getting sharp pains in my stomach as well as the usual burning sensation in my intestines. My husband thought that because I was not eating, the acid in my stomach was basically stirring around in there causing the new abdominal pain and probably even causing more intestinal pain. Also, as a result of not eating much food, I had no soluable fiber in my intestines to keep it distended and stable. Also, I heard somewhere that your stomach can quickly fill up with gas if you do not eat, causing you to feel pretty cruddy. This happens to dogs all the time. No really, I am completely serious. I have a friend who is a vet and she told me that she has to perform many abdominal surgeries on dogs. Sometimes dogs are only fed one large meal a day, usually at night. During the day, because the dog has had no food in its stomach, gas builds up. When the dog receives his nightly meal, there is no room for the gas and the large meal. This will force the stomach to bloat even more and ultimately flip over and twist - causing the emergency trip to the vet and subsequent surgery. Needless to say, I now feed my doggies and guinea pig twice a day. I know, long story to say that not eating enough may cause gas to build up in your stomach. Does that make sense? Anyway, I began eating normally again and trying to fill my gut up with lots of soluable foods and immediately began feeling better.

I know how you feel with regards to the barium. When I had my barium enema, it constipated me so bad I thought I was going to die. Trust me, you don't want to get constipated with barium stuck in your intestines. Suffice it to say, it was not a fun day for me when it FINALLY decided to evacuate. About 2 weeks later I had to undergo a barium swallow. This time, I had MAJOR D. I mean, I could not get off that table fast enough. I barely made it to the hospital bathroom. I was sick for a week. SICK SICK SICK!! It was almost like my colon was saying "what the
%^!! did you put in me!!" I completely sympathize with you.

--------------------
Dana

Biccies?? new
      #65433 - 04/27/04 07:33 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Yep, not eating makes me feel worse too. I usually make sure I at least snack on some pretzels or animal crackers in between meals so I don't let my stomach get too empty.

Okay Linz, I give up... what are biccies???

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: Biccies?? new
      #65437 - 04/27/04 07:42 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

What! They're biscuits! And yeah, I know I shouldn't be eating them at all, but they are dairy free and not too high in fat.

I was feeling kinda miserable and nervy on the drive into work yesterday evening - the rain, lightning and heavy traffic weren't exactly helping! So I stopped to buy comfort food - chocolate biccies! Ah, well.

#65442 - 04/27/04 07:51 PM
KellyAndersson

Reged: 03/24/04
Loc: N.California

Hon, you are flat makin' me nervous with your symptoms lately, cuz you are sounding EXACTLY like me a couple months ago before I ended up in the hospital. I *really* would like to read a post from you that says you're going in to the hospital for an exploratory lap surgery to find out ..............

But ..... anyway, back to your question. Could be yes, could be no. (And I'm not a vet.) Over the last ten years or so, at least for me, going without food was a good thing rather than a bad thing -- for me -- and didn't make things worse, it made things better. But I fully understand that everyone's experience is different, and it could be that this is not so good for you. FWIW though, lack of food would not necessarily make cramping worse, that much I can vouch for.

#65444 - 04/27/04 07:56 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

And by biscuits she means cookies.

I have definitely found that not eating causes me serious cramps, gas, bloating, and all sorts of unpleasantness. If I don't sit down and have a meal in a nice relaxed manner I get very ill. Unfortunately I rarely have time for that... thus the comfy pants!

Question for Kelly new
      #65457 - 04/27/04 10:24 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Thank you for your concern. Did you have an exploratory lap? If so, what did they find?
No one has mentioned doing a lap to me, I had one done 3 years ago to diagnose endometriosis, but other than that, there hasn't been any mention of doing one for these problems, what kinds of things would they be looking for do you know?

#65501 - 04/28/04 06:42 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Oh, cookies! Why didn't you just say so?? Lol!

I know what you mean though, Linz... that's one of the things I cheat on more often than I should, too. I do like some low-fat cookies, but I also like my traditional favorites I've been eating since I was a kid... and they're all way over the 25% fat mark!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2084 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 963

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review