All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Help Please...doc recommended Gatorade but...
      #64441 - 04/24/04 01:08 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I went to the doctors today because the abdominal pain and D that came after my barium test have actually gotten worse, and they said I still can't take anything (i.e. Immodium or anything) because of the barium and that I should probably just stick to a liquid diet. Because all I've been doing is drinking water and herbal tea (and not really eating at all) she said that I need to drink Gatorade or something similar to get Electrolytes into me. However, I know that I've read on the boards before that gatorade isn't all that "tummy safe" so I was wondering if anyone else has any other suggestions? Is powerade or pedialyte any different?
I've heard of Reebok water as well, and they apparently have a "Natural" flavor that isn't sweetened, although I can only find the sweetened ones. Here's a link to their site: http://www.clearly.ca/brands/reebok/usa-natural.html Does that look safer than Gatorade?
Any advice would be great...I know I need to get something into me but figuring out what has been tricky, I definately don't want to make anything worse.
Kelly

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help Please...doc recommended Gatorade but... new
      #64451 - 04/24/04 01:44 PM

Unregistered

My docotr had recommended that I go on Gastrolyte. It's a treatment of rdiarrhea it's to help your electrolytes and so on. It's okay and you can mix it with a bit of Koolaid flavour if you want.
You buy it form the pharmacy and it's an oral rehydration salt. You should ask your pharmacist for the adult dosage cause I forget it's been such a long time since I had to use it.
Good luck

#64452 - 04/24/04 01:45 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Kelly, pedialyte would be better but in an emergency like this the artificial colors in Gatorade are not going to kill you, but being dangerously dehydrated could! Use your judgment to do what's best for you.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#64459 - 04/24/04 01:55 PM

Unregistered

Nutrition

Avoid coffee, chocolate, dairy products, strong spices, and solid foods. Introduce clear soup, crackers, white bread, rice, potatoes, applesauce, and bananas as diarrhea gets better.
Rice or barley water, fresh vegetable juices (especially carrot and celery), miso broth, or other clear broths help restore proper fluid and electrolyte balance. Make rice and barley water using 1 cup of raw grain to 1 quart of boiling water. Let steep for 20 minutes. Strain and drink throughout the day.
Lactobacillus taken as powder or in capsules helps normalize bowel flora and may help cure your diarrhea. Take as directed.
Glutamine (3,000 mg three times per day) is helpful in treating diarrhea that is caused by irritation of the intestinal lining rather than infection.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Herbs

Do not use herbs to treat diarrhea without talking to your health care provider first. If your diarrhea is caused by certain types of infections, herbal treatments could make it worse. The most common herbal remedies for diarrhea are described below. They are best used as teas unless otherwise noted. Teas should be made with 1 tsp. herb per cup of hot water. Steep covered 5 to 10 minutes for leaf or flowers, and 10 to 20 minutes for roots. Drink 2 to 4 cups per day.

Swelling reducers:

Quercetin (250 to 500 mg two to four times per day)
Chamomile (Matricaria recutita)
Marshmallow root (Althea officinalis) as cold-water tea. Soak 2 tbsp. root in 1 quart of water overnight. Strain; drink throughout the day.
Infection fighters:

Barberry (Berberis vulgaris) 250 to 500 mg three times per day
Goldenseal (Hydrastis canadensis) 250 to 500 mg three times per day
Licorice root (Glycyrrhiza glabra). Do not take if you have high blood pressure.
Antidiarrheal herbs:

Blackberry leaf (Rubus fruticosus) or raspberry leaf (Rubus idaeus) 1 heaping tsp. per cup. Drink ½ cup per hour.
Carob powder; use 4 tsp. per 4 oz. of water or mix in applesauce. Take ½ to 1 tsp. every 30 to 60 minutes.
Slippery elm powder (Ulmus fulva) or marshmallow root powder (Althaea officinalis); use 1 oz. powder to 1 quart of water. Make a paste with the powder and a small amount of water. Gradually add in the rest of the water and then simmer down to 1 pint. Take 1 tsp. every 30 to 60 minutes.

This is taken from www.umm.edu which is a site used by pharmasists.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5621 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 714

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review