All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Balancing the "solubles" and "insolubles"
      #64366 - 04/23/04 05:53 PM
Ana Maria

Reged: 03/24/04

Hi. I've tried doing a search but couldn't find anything about this - so sorry if this question has been answered a hundred times on the board! I've got to get some dinner in me and I thought I'd just post my question

We've had a hold up with my acacia so I'm out - for not too long I hope! I know that everyone is different but I was wondering if there's a "rule of thumb" for how much insoluble fiber to eat with the soluble.... Maybe it would have more to do with how much I was eating before? Heather did say to eat more soluble because I'm out of my fiber supplement but I'm hoping to get the magical answer to how much more! Probably a very silly question - I know!

I know this may just be a trial and error thing but I was hoping to avoid this - the next two weeks are going to be relatively stressful for me and I'm going to be doing a lot more running around than usual! And...I had been doing so so well being on the diet and taking the acacia 3 times a day. I was taking 1 tablespoon of acacia before breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Anyone have an idea?

Thanks!
Ana

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Balancing the "solubles" and "insolubles" new
      #64487 - 04/24/04 03:20 PM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

wow. i cringe at the thought of running out of my acacia! poor thing!

did you ever try any of the other soluble fiber supplements? did any of them work decently for you? could you go back to one temporarily while you wait for the acacia?

as for how much with the meal, there's no real way for me to say how much you should have. i guess i'd stick with heavy-on-the-insolubles meals like rice with a little chicken or fish, the chicken-potato-green bean salad in Eating for IBS, baked potatoes with your meals and bread before.... you're just going to have to experiment to see what's working.

sorry i have no "magic answer" for you....

--------------------

#64494 - 04/24/04 04:02 PM
Ana Maria

Thanks Jen. I figured there wasn't a "magic" answer but I thought I'd give it a shot anyhow...

I had tried to use Metamucil in the past but I never really used it regularly because it gave me lots of gas (more than usual! ) and I felt bloated with it (again, more than usual!). Heather had said it was probably not a good idea to try to use it if it did that to me before - and I agree. Although I have a ton of Metamucil here the mere thought of having to drink it makes me GAG

I did go to the health food store today and found that all their fiber supplements were psyllium based so I said - no way Jose! I also looked at the digestive enzymes and when I saw the price I ran the other way (I did buy some tofutti cuties and they're pretty good )

I've gotten fennel tea - haven't tried it yet...and I have a good supply of peppermint tea... I've been drinking TONS of water and I'm trying to get my black beans in and my oat bran because that's helped me in the past. I also found quinoa so I thought I'd try that.

I guess this is the "live experiment" of going without your fiber supplement

I'll take it one day at a time and see how it goes - I got lucky today and went to the bathroom Maybe I'll just eat the same thing every day until the acacia gets here

Thanks again.
Ana

#64501 - 04/24/04 04:41 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

How about trying Citrocel or Benefiber? Both of those are easier to tolerate then Metimucil. Maybe what you could do is not eat the more "dangerous" foods you are able to eat with the fiber (like if you're able to eat salads/a bit of wheat bread, try not having them). Be more strict then usual with what you eat, hopefully that will help!

--------------------
IBS-C

#64546 - 04/25/04 08:21 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

you're funny!

well, yeah, if the Metamucil made you worse, i'd steer clear, too! and so many people have trouble with psyllium...

i guess you do get to do a "live experiment!" let me know how it's going. and hopefully your acacia gets here FAST!

*j

PS: i can't talk about tofutti cuties since i'm "on a timeout" for my bad behavior with them this week!

--------------------

2 days and all is well - so far! new
      #64547 - 04/25/04 08:36 AM
Ana Maria

so far so good - gone to the bathroom today and yesteday! i secretly think it's that oat bran i've been having for breakfast - and my paranoia about eating anything i shouldn't eat!

we'll see how it goes - hopefully it keeps GOING!

ana

ah - tofutti cuties - who would have thought they're so good

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1555 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1018

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review