All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Need help making tea!
      #63427 - 04/21/04 11:07 AM
abby82

Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Nevada

Ok.....I have never been a tea drinker until now so when I ordered my tea off the website and got a bag of seeds and a bag of leaves I had NO IDEA what to do and still dont. I sent my husband to get a tea strainer and he did get one - but all it has on it is the words TEA STRAINER! Its about the size of a tablespoon.....do I just put the fennel seeds in the strainer and pour boiling water over them into the cup, or do you just put the seeds in the cup with the water....Im totally lost! What about the peppermint leaves too......LOL If anyone can help please do! Im sure when I hear what Im supposed to do Ill feel like a real dork cause its probably pretty obvious! Anyways Thank you!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Need help making tea! new
      #63444 - 04/21/04 11:31 AM
Kristine

Reged: 05/15/03
Loc: Pittsburgh, PA

Hi Abby,

When I ordered my fennel tea, I was a bit lost, too, so don't worry. You're not alone!

At first I got the tea strainer ball, but I found that all the fennel seeds kept falling through the holes, so I got myself a regular small tea strainer. I put the seeds in the strainer and pour the boiling water through the strainer into the cup and then let the strainer steep in the water for a while. Works like a charm!

Good luck!
Kristine

TEA help on the way! new
      #63461 - 04/21/04 11:44 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

don't worry about feeling foolish. at some point in our lives we all had to learn how to make tea!

• fill the tea strainer (i use 1 1/2 to 2 Tbsp, but if your strainer is smaller, see how you like it)
  • put the strainer in a mug or cup as if it were a spoon
  • pour about a cup of reallly hot water into the mug while the strainer is in it
  • leave it alone for about 3 minutes (this is called "letting the tea steep.")
  • take out the strainer [*optional: stir in sugar, honey, cardamon, whatever you want
  • drink and (hopefully) enjoy!

it took me a week or two to get used to drinking tea... i was a coffee girl and it just seemed so... weak. pale. liquidy. light! but i caught on. it also took me a day or so to get used to the fennel taste, but now i love it!

--------------------

What is cardamon? I used that little search thing but nothing came up new
      #63572 - 04/21/04 06:18 PM
####

Reged: 04/05/04

Re: What is cardamon? I used that little search thing but nothing came up new
      #63581 - 04/21/04 07:07 PM
bevp

Reged: 04/01/03
Loc: Brisbane Australia

Hi,

I just found the following. Hope it helps.
Definition: [n] aromatic seeds used as seasoning like cinnamon and cloves especially in pickles and barbecue sauces
[n] rhizomatous herb of India having aromatic seeds used as seasoning

Re: What cardamom is new
      #63588 - 04/21/04 07:36 PM
KellyAndersson

Reged: 03/24/04
Loc: N.California

Cardamom is a seed used for flavoring meats and bakery items. Very common in Swedish breads. If you make your own bread, add a spoonful of ground cardamom to the dough and see what you think; I have a friend who will do ANYTHING YOU WANT if you make cardamom bread. I use it most for a Swedish Apple Pie -- add an egg to the apple mix, nearly double the other spices (cinnamon etc.) and add a small spoonful of cardamom. YUM.

Also good in teas and not uncommon in Chai. Comes in whole seedpods (take the papery covering off and crush the seeds) or in ground form (handy, yes, but gets stale a lot faster).

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6014 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 711

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review