All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Re: Fennel answers to many questions new
      #62940 - 04/20/04 09:39 AM
bchaugen4

Reged: 04/13/04

WOW...you're a regular fennel encyclopedia! Thanks for all the great info!

Thank you SOOOOOOOO much!
Connie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

eating Fennel seeds? new
      #63043 - 04/20/04 12:38 PM
Bethany

Reged: 02/27/04
Loc: Nashville, TN

Hey, I have another quick question about the Fennel seeds. I have tried the teas and they seem to help a little. And I bought some Fennel capsuls and I think they help, but don't notice a dramatic difference.

Can you just chew on the seeds or put them in yogurt or cereal? Or do they need to be brewed to get the full affect? What if you just grinded them?

I would love to get this bloating under control!

--------------------
"Love isn't love, until you give it away!"

Another fennel question - I think the fennel I have is stale!? new
      #67643 - 05/05/04 06:47 AM
Miss Pepper

Reged: 12/23/03
Loc: Delaware

I found this question and answer post very helpful

I have an additional question about fennel - is it possible that the kind I bought at my local HFS is stale? The reason I am wondering is that before buying it in bulk there, I bought it at the grocery store in the spice aisle. The stuff from the grocery store tasted so much better. The fennel I bought at the HFS is sold in bulk, so I am wondering if maybe it's been sitting around?

Thanks!

Hmm... new
      #67845 - 05/05/04 11:42 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

I recently got some of Heather's teas and have been experimenting with them for the past couple of weeks. I've actually been having trouble getting them as strong as the Celestial Seasonings teas I use! I was steeping it for about 5 minutes like I did with the teabags, but have found the loose teas in my tea infuser need at least 10 minutes to be strong enough for me! I've been stuffing the infuser as full as I possibly can and still wish I could get it a little stronger. I've been adding it to a cup or less of boiling water, too, and covering it. It's better, but I'm still curious, am I doing something wrong?

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Possible and quite likely - stores don't often have a fast turnaround new
      #67901 - 05/05/04 01:51 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

and if herbs and spices sit, their volatile oils evaporate (especially if they're sitting in unsealed containers, like boxes of tea bags or open bulk bins). Once the volatile oils are gone the herbs won't smell or taste fresh, nor will they brew into strong tea, nor will they help your symptoms nearly as much.

You always want to look for whole (not ground, powdered, whatever) herbs/spices, as fresh as possible, and use them fairly quickly so they're not sitting on your kitchen shelf for months either.

If you can't find fresh fennel seed locally, try the Fennel Tummy Tea which is packed and sealed only when I order a new batch, so it's always as fresh and strong as possible.

This makes a huge difference with peppermint tea as well - as you found, the taste is MUCH better when the herbs are fresh and not stale.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Maybe overstuffing the strainer... new
      #67902 - 05/05/04 01:53 PM
HeatherAdministrator

the seeds need room to expand in order to brew properly. Don't fill the strainer by more than half - you might have to get a bigger strainer. I use a regular tea basket, so I can fit about 1-2 tablespoons of the seeds (I use a pretty big mug). The basket would probably hold 1/4 cup of seeds total, so there's plenty of room for the water to swirl around them. If you can only find small strainers, use two of them for one cup.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Possible and quite likely - stores don't often have a fast turnaround new
      #68233 - 05/06/04 10:28 AM
Miss Pepper

Reged: 12/23/03
Loc: Delaware

Thanks Heather! I'm going to order some of your Fennel Tummy Tea today. Actually, I already put a call in to order it but had to leave a message for someone to call me back (I'm on the East coast).

Just as a side note, I came across your Eating for IBS book on Amazon.com by accident back in 2001. I think I have the first edition. Although I haven't always followed it to the letter, your recommedations have helped me tremendously. I recommend both of your books to everyone I know who has stomach issues (I also have an autographed copy of the First Year book ).

I'm one of the ones always whining about coffee. In fact, the whole quitting-coffee issue is what prompted me to register on the message boards back in December. I gave it up for a few weeks, but then started drinking it again However, you will be happy to hear that I just ordered the 7 pack sampler from Teeccino! I am really going to try to kick the coffee habit once and for all because I do think it will help - not just with IBS, I have heartburn issues too

I have learned so much and gotten so much encouragement from your website and the message boards. I also look forward to your twice-monthly newsletters

Thanks for all the hard work

Re: Maybe overstuffing the strainer... new
      #68276 - 05/06/04 01:09 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Thanks for the advice, Heather! My strainer is pretty tiny and I have been stuffing it really full. I've never seen a tea basket around here, so I think I'll go pick up another strainer!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Thank you!! new
      #68379 - 05/06/04 05:01 PM
HeatherAdministrator

I'm blushing! Please let me know what you think of the Teecino - I'm interested myself.

How on earth do you have a signed copy of the First Year if you're out in Delaware? OH - wait - did you order that from me way back when I signed all the copies?!

- H

--------------------

Bet that's it - I learned this through experience, when new
      #68381 - 05/06/04 05:02 PM
HeatherAdministrator

I totally stuffed a strainer thinking I'd get a super strong brew...and I got nada!

- H

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 496 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6994

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review