All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Lump
      #61061 - 04/14/04 10:41 AM
FutureDoc

Reged: 04/02/04

Hi all! So I've been feeling this bump on my lower right side and I can't figure out what it is. I feel it pretty much all the time but when I lay down at night I'll get this pulling feeling and then it will pop up nice and big. It feels kinda oval shaped and its pretty low like right by my right hip bone and to the left. Is this gas just popping up my intestines? I haven't said anything to the doctors because you know how they are..."Oh its just gas and your intestines are overly sensitive due to your IBS"! Soo...I was just wondering if anyone else had felt a little bump like this before. It doesn't really hurt its just strange.... Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Lump new
      #61098 - 04/14/04 11:56 AM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

I have this bump near my right hip bone but it sounds smaller than what you are describing. My Dr. said it was a fatty cyst and nothing to worry about. I would definitely talk to your Dr. about it.

--------------------
Janey

#61139 - 04/14/04 01:10 PM
FutureDoc

Yeah this is not small but not huge. Probably the size of like a brussel sprout. I'm scared...

#61163 - 04/14/04 02:07 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

I agree, you should talk to your doc! It's probably nothing, but it's best to make sure ASAP. As a "future doc" you should know that!

Keep us posted!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#61167 - 04/14/04 02:16 PM
Janey

Try not to be scared and try to think positive. It probably is nothing but to ease your mind call your doc and make an appt. Tell them you need to be seen ASAP that way you won't have to sit around and worry.

Let us know what you find out.

Janey

--------------------
Janey

I should... new
      #61168 - 04/14/04 02:17 PM
FutureDoc

...talk to my doctor about it. I just am so used to them brushing everything off. I just wanted to see if anyone else with IBS felt little bumps or bubbles from gas before I said anything to my doc. I guess no one does though. I'll let you know what my doctor says. Thanks for the concern!

#61201 - 04/14/04 03:29 PM
tarabara04

Reged: 04/06/04
Loc: Bay Area, California, USA

my friend had some bump on her ovary that got infected or something and had to be removed..although she had another that didn't have to be removed b/c they rarely get infected...that's what she told me her doctor told her...but I'd go to the doctor if I were you. Good luck and I hope it is nothing yucky!

--------------------
If you live life to love, you'll love to live life.

Saw my doc.. new
      #63071 - 04/20/04 02:27 PM
FutureDoc

...and she said she thinks its an "inguinal hernia". A huge relief but still kinda scary. That's the last thing I thought since men usually get hernias! But whatever! Anyone have any experience with hernias? I don't really know much about them. I'm wondering if I got it after my gallbladder surgery since they told me I could get a hernia if I strained or pushed or lifted something heavy. Anyways....that's it. If anyone knows anything about hernias or knows someone who had them stories would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Saw my doc.. new
      #63090 - 04/20/04 03:04 PM
MissS

Reged: 02/11/04

I have an inguinal hernia also. Mine was found when I had my gallbladder removed. The doctor said that I would probably never have to worry about it and unless I developed problems, to just not worry about it. That was almost 10 years ago, and so far no problems.
I really don't know much about it though because I just decided to forget about it. I've had so many things go wrong with me, that I decided to put this one on the back burner. I just try to be careful and not lift things that are too heavy for me.
Did your Doctor give you any advice or tell you what to do about it?
Terri

No advice from Doc! new
      #63091 - 04/20/04 03:12 PM
FutureDoc

My doctor really didn't give me any advice about what to do about it. I guess she assumed that after hearing that I had a hernia I wouldn't lift anything too heavy or strain, etc. She said something about surgery though. I feel like I just got better from my gallbladder surgery though! I'll probably wait and see like you. Do you know if a hernia can cause digestive problems? Like slowed digestion?

Re: No advice from Doc! new
      #63094 - 04/20/04 03:20 PM
MissS

Reged: 02/11/04

I don't know if it can cause digestive problems. I've never read anything about it causing those kinds of troubles. The doctor mentioned surgery to me also. In other words, if there's problems with it, surgery is required. It might not hurt to get a second opinion from another doctor, though. My oldest son and my sister have umbilical hernias that you can see by their belly buttons. They look like they're about the size of a golf ball, but neither one of them have opted for surgery either and it hasn't been recommended by their doctors. They just have them examined periodically by their physicians.
Hope this helps,
Terri

Re: No advice from Doc! new
      #63119 - 04/20/04 05:10 PM
FutureDoc

It does help! Thank you!

#63221 - 04/20/04 11:04 PM
Janey

I woke up this morning thinking about you and that we hadn't heard anything about how your Dr. visit went. I come on line and saw your message. I am so glad that it wasn't anything else.

--------------------
Janey

#63236 - 04/21/04 04:58 AM
crc

Reged: 03/01/04
Loc: Maine

I have had two hernias but they were right above my belly button and were caused by my two pregnancies. My doctor sewed them up both times. I was put out but only for 20 minutes or so. The surgery was pretty mild. I would get a second opinion on wether it should be fixed. On mine they wanted to fix them as there is a slight danger of the intestines poking thru and getting strangulated (what an awful word!) That was enough for me to opt to get them repaired. Plus with having IBS and all the work that puts on our intestines I just felt safer knowing there was no way for them to poke thru with all the gas we get! Good luck and maybe see about getting a second opinion.

Cindy

Janey... new
      #63371 - 04/21/04 09:34 AM
FutureDoc

Thank you for thinking about me! How sweet! I was very relieved to hear that it was nothing too scary either. Now I just gotta figure out how to deal with it or decide if I just wanna get rid of it! Thanks again for your concern!

Hernias and IBS new
      #63372 - 04/21/04 09:38 AM
FutureDoc

I agree! After reading your post I am seriously considering just opting for surgery. It seems like having IBS will aggravate a hernia! I am gonna see my GI on Friday and will mention something to him. Maybe this is why I'm so bloated and crampy every single day...my IBS is really acting up lately! Anyways...Thanks for your response!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2688 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2400

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review