All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Need some help advice please for constipation from you kind people!
      #60652 - 04/13/04 06:52 AM
Tim D

Reged: 11/13/03
Loc: Orlando, Florida USA

I had a colonscopy about 2 years ago and it confirmed that my colon had painful spasms and was given Bentyl. All it seemed to do is give me dry mouth and more constipation and make me tired. I've tried Levsin and Librax and they seem to do the same thing. I've had allergy skin testing where they put a drop of each thing that I maybe allergic to on my arm and nothing came up. I developed GERD and then lost my voice and my job and on top of it was dealing with the constipation and the colon spasms. I had the Nissen Fundoplication done to fix the problem as I couldn't talk. I tried Zelnorm and it worked at first but then it stopped working after awhile. Then I started taking laxatives. I tried stool softeners and glycerin suppositories. I tried increasing my fiber and now my colon seems to be lazy. Now I've been taking Lactulose but that seems to be giving me terrible gas. I tried taking Miralax but nothing seems to happen. I guess it takes time to work. Should I mostly stick to Osmotic laxatives such as milk of magnesia instead of those other stimulant laxatives with senna? I drink plenty of water. I also have a history of anxiety and depression and I'm on a anti-depressant (Remeron) but it doesn't seem to help. I thought about going on Zoloft but I know it gives me nausea but I may have to put up with that. I need something. I'm currently on disability and have Medicare/Medicaid. I don't know whether to contact a nutritionalist or what. I've tried Magnesium. I just got out of the Psychiatric hospital and was in there for 3 weeks. The problem is that a lot of pills seems to cause dry mouth which causes a problem. On top of this when I was in the hospital I developed a real bad cold and then both of my ears are plugged up. I went to the ear, nose, and throat doctor and he gave me amoxicillin but my ears are still plugged up. I have to let him know that I'm still having problems. I don't know what to do at this point. I don't know what to have in my diet. One minute I'm told whole wheat is good and then it isn't. I'm just so confused. I'm trying probiotics and acidophillis as well as yogurt. Should I avoid things like triscuits, wheat thins, and pretzels? I just moved into a different area so I'm trying to get in with a doctor. Should I have vegetables? If so, what kind? I tried doing Heather's diet but it didn't really help too much. Please give me some advice. Is peanut butter ok? I've been having 2 slices of whole wheat Roman Meal bread with 3 grams of fiber each slice in the morning with peanut butter for breakfast. I usually have salted pretzels for snack or reduce fat triscuits. I sometimes have applesauce. I don't know if I have to stay away from flour or what. When I had the allergy testing nothing came up. I tried having Kashi Go Lean cereal with rice milk and that didn't help. I drink mostly water. I don't drink juices as they tend to have a lot of sugar in them. Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated. Also, should I avoid ham, turkey, or chicken? What about other meats like pork or veal? I have to be careful of gassy foods since it's hard to burp. If someone could direct me in the right direction I'd appreciate it. I've also tried Flaxseed. It gets so bad that I don't even want to go out of the house. All it is mostly constipation. Please help me figure this thing out as I'm tired of taking laxatives. I don't know whether to do hydrotherapy or what. I've got both Heather's books but it's hard when you only get disability to afford these things especially when the stores are a drive since I live in the country.

thanks,
Timothy Dekofski

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Need some help advice please for constipation from you kind people! new
      #60661 - 04/13/04 07:25 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Whoa boy! You seem to be trying EVERYTHING! Unfortunately all this stuff takes a while to work, so you have to stick to something even if you don't get results straight away.

Heather's diet works for most IBSers, so I would stick to that for one. Also, get a soluble fibre supplement and take it regularly. Like with some meds, you'll need to be very good for a few weeks before you'll notice a real difference. The guideslines for the diet are on a link on the main message board page - got through them thoroughly and print them out if it'll help. But it'll mean no red meat (including veal - ew!), no dairy and no high fat foods. IBS-Cers have to keep their insoluble fibre intake up, but do that in a way that's gentle to your body (smoothies, soups, etc are v. good for this). Look on the Recipe Index for food ideas - Heather does tend to go for delicious, but more complex recipes!

Laxatives can be REALLY bad. They won't help IBS, they'll irritate your digestive system even more. Try SLOWLY upping your soluble fibre supplement intake and reducing your laxative intake. I wouldn't come straight off these as your body's likely to be dependent - take it slow, but PLEASE come off these at some point!

Probiotics can be helpful. If you're getting a lot of colds, etc with being run down, then I recommend taking 500mg of Vitamin C and Echinacea daily. That really boosts your immune system. Try a decongestant like Sudafed for the nasal congestion. I swear by that stuff!

Sounds like you could do with some yoga to chill out as well! Good luck!

#60672 - 04/13/04 07:55 AM

Unregistered

I feel like I just ready my autobiography! Try the peppermint caps, After taking two of those everyday I am completly regular and never ever take any of my other meds. I follow Heather's diet to the book and take one peppermint cap in the morning before breakfast and one at night before dinner. I also work out 4 days a week for at least a half hour, I find that exercise "moves things around" much faster than just sitting and waiting

try the caps, and follow the diet. And when you feel up to it just go for a walk, i am telling ya.. you will feel 100% better!

Dina

#60675 - 04/13/04 08:00 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Good advice Dina! I forgot to say about keeping moving! Sitting in a chair is the worse possible thing for C - I hate my office job!

#60698 - 04/13/04 08:37 AM

Unregistered

me too, I sit in front of a computer all day. I hate it. Last night I threw in my pilates tape and walked on a treadmill for a half hour, i felt so great after. Exercising has really helped in boosting my self confidence and it doesn't hurt that I am regular too!

#60776 - 04/13/04 11:41 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Stick with Heathers diet, but be sure you are getting lots of INsoluble fiber too! I'm a major C person and if I don't get enough insoluble fiber, everything stops! Water and exercise are crucial, I know its hard when you feel sick but at least walk around the block.

I went through the same things with the suppositories, otc laxatives, etc. Finally, my dr gave me Miralax. You must give it a week, minimum! Most people will have a BM in 3-4 days, sometimes it does take a little longer. At first it may cause some extra gas and bloating but that goes away after a few weeks. Did you take i cap full twice a day?? If not you may not have been taking enough! Usually 3/4 cap once a day is enough for me but sometimes I have to add a second dose. With miralax it is imparative that you drink a lot of water or it won't work!!! I would give it another chance since nothing else has worked for you.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#60938 - 04/13/04 11:04 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Quote:

I feel like I just ready my autobiography! Try the peppermint caps, After taking two of those everyday I am completly regular and never ever take any of my other meds. I follow Heather's diet to the book and take one peppermint cap in the morning before breakfast and one at night before dinner. I also work out 4 days a week for at least a half hour, I find that exercise "moves things around" much faster than just sitting and waiting

try the caps, and follow the diet. And when you feel up to it just go for a walk, i am telling ya.. you will feel 100% better!

Dina

Wow seems like the peppermint caps worked really well for you! Do you find it gives your heartburn/bothers your stomach at all? I'm too afraid to try the caps because I have acid reflux, and I know peppermint is bad for that.

origional poster- I know how you feel! I also tried Miralax and it just worsened my symptoms so much I had to go off it. I've tried various things, right now I take 2 Magnesium tablets with 2 Colace, and that seems to work semi-ok. I end up having to stop and start in order for it to keep working though so annoying. I'm too afraid to bother trying other things because I don't want attacks!!

--------------------
IBS-C

#60942 - 04/13/04 11:53 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Unfortunately, I think you just have to try the peppermint caps to see if they'll bother your heartburn. For lots of folks they're perfectly tolerable, even when peppermint tea is not. For others, even though they're enteric coated the peppermint is still too strong and they get reflux.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#60957 - 04/14/04 05:53 AM

Unregistered

I have no problems with heartburn so I am not sure if they cause it or not. The tea made me very nauseous so the caps were my only alternative to get the peppermint I needed to calm my stomach down. I take two a day and they are a godsend. As far as heartburn goes, I am sorry I could not be more help. Try one a day like Heather suggested, If they don't give you heartburn... You will love them!

Dina

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 373 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1896

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review