All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Cheeseburgers Tonight (Should I slam the Soy?)
      #6042 - 04/14/03 09:48 AM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

Hey all! My family is a HUGE burger fan! Well, after much convincing, my dad agreed to buy me a box of Boca Soy Burgers.

I only had one boca burger before, and i nearly puked (it was over a friends house, and i only ate about 4 bites of it)

Well, im scared of two things.The first thing is Im afraid of the soy itself. Besides that one boca burger before, I have never ingested soy before. Arnt you supposed to take soy alittle bit at a time? What will happen if i gulp a soy burger all together?

Also, Im afraid of the taste (YUCK)

Do you guys think i should just eat the cheeseburger or try my luck on the boca?

Thanks! (PS, Its 70 out there, im goin' rollerblading!)

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Edited by ConcreteAngel (04/14/03 09:50 AM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Cheeseburgers Tonight (Should I slam the Soy?) new
      #6047 - 04/14/03 10:00 AM
lovejoy_22

Reged: 02/21/03
Loc: Henderson, NC

Are you sure that they were the Boca vegan burger. That is the only burger that Boca makes that does not contain cheese or some sort of milk product. Whatever you decide about the Boca burger I would NOT eat the beef hamburgers.

I have been on this diet for 1 1/2 year and I cheated with beef only once. I cut a tiny (smaller than the tip of my pinky finger) piece of steak off of my husband's steak. Within twenty minutes I looked like I was six months pregnant and was writhing in agony. I just decided that it was not worth it at all.

Good Luck with dinner tonight. It is beautiful here today too. I wish I wasn't at work.

--------------------
lovejoy_22

#6052 - 04/14/03 12:26 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Angela,

My suggestion: Take beano with the soy burger...and if you find you've gotta stop after a few bites, so be it. DON'T eat the cheeseburger!! (that's my opinion). Unless of course the meat and the cheese won't bother you. Let me know how it goes...I hope whatever you chose it is the best thing for YOU and for your tummy

Always,
Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#6060 - 04/14/03 01:26 PM
NaturalBody4You

Reged: 01/30/03

I tried boca bugers once and I had bought the box from Costco (should have tried them in a smaller amount) I ended up throwing them away. I did try the all american boca burger and I really did like them. I don't do well with soy products...not sure why but I didn't seem to have any trouble with the all american boca and the taste was much better than the original boca. I remember thinking (about the original) if I eat one more bite I will BE SICK.
Bonnie

Re: UpDaTe! new
      #6069 - 04/14/03 04:27 PM
ConcreteAngel

~*~*~*Update- My mom got home late from work and decided that she didnt have enough time to make the burgers..WoOhOo!! My mom decided to make grilled cheese and tomato soup instead. With a sweet smile and innocent face, I got away with turkey breast and chicken noodle.... Uhuhuhuh! (dances) Yippee Yippee Yahe! Okay, Victory Dance is over. ANyway, I still have to face the "burger situation" sometime this week. I'll make sure to let you guys know how it goes.
Btw, I forget who suggested it, but there is not beano In this house, in fact the only medications my parents allow in this house are one package of TUMS and about a million boxes of tyenlol
WHat a big help (sarcastic moment)

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#6082 - 04/14/03 06:41 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Angela - you just crack me up!!! Boca burgers are great. If you put ketchup (like any normal NJ girl would do anyway) on it, I think it tastes just like a regular burger (my husband would argue with that, tho!) I didn't have any problem at all introducing soy to my diet, but then everybody's different.

It sure is nice to hear your parents are getting lenient with their feeding habits. That's great for you. Maybe when you don't get D or C anymore, they'll understand how putting the right foods in your body is important (maybe you'll even convert them).

Your victory dance was terrific!

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#6100 - 04/15/03 05:25 AM
tara_e

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: PA, USA

Glad to hear you got out of the Burger Situation yesterday! I think you'll find the Boca burgers kind of dry, so I think you'll need a lot of ketchup!

I'd like to make a recommendation if you are allowed to buy Boca products: try the spicy chicken patties. They are great!

How was rollerblading? Today is supposed to be even better!

#6162 - 04/15/03 04:47 PM
jrs

Reged: 03/31/03
Loc: Aberystwyth, Wales

Stay away from the hamburgers!! Boca burgers are OK, I really prefer a brand from a store called Trader Joe's -- their veggie burgers are just excellent!

#6171 - 04/15/03 06:37 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Jrs - what's the brand of burgers at TJ's? I go there about once a month when I'm in Modesto--a 1.5 hr trip for me because I live up in the mountains by Yosemite National Park. I've been buying Boca Burgers.

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#6185 - 04/16/03 01:06 AM
queenie

Reged: 04/04/03
Loc: Texas, USA

hi concrete angel

i've NEVER had problems with veggie burgers or soy. out of all of the ones i've tried the boca is the best. just make sure not to over heat it as it will get hard along the edges. i usually microwave them instead of the grill.

fyi, as a vegetarian i recommend the chicken pot pies and bacon strips (all vegetarian w/ meat substitutes) by morning star farms are the best. if you try them check the ingredients for any interactions you might have with ibs (though i'm sure we are all label readers).

i also like a vegan ..i'm ovo-lacto veggie.. jello made by emes is good, too. i think i've been luckier than most when it comes to meat subs. i was vegetarian before my ibs really interrupted my life, so my sacrifices haven't been as bad as most have ahd to make. it's jus the dairy that kills me. oh thanks for all the cheese suggestions. i got some called "the good slice" it does have casien in it, but soy based. pretty tasty!!

amy

Re: Cheeseburgers Tonight (Should I slam the Soy?) soy response 2 new
      #6186 - 04/16/03 01:13 AM
queenie

Reged: 04/04/03
Loc: Texas, USA

sorry i posted when i wasn't done... soy is found in a LOT of foods. i'm sure you consume more than you know. the only thing that might cause soy to hurt you is a quantity amount. you'll have to compare with other products you already eat with soy to determine it.

i also use nayonaise as a substitute mayo which is a soy based spread, but vegan. i'd recommened it to those trying to reduce dairy and high fat like traditional mayo.

for a snack i made a yves mock ham slice sandwich tonight with nayonaise, and the good slice cheese on sara lee's new white bread. i am most satisfied with very little dairy. the nayonaise company also makes salad dressings that are vegan as well.

amy

Re: Thanks Guys new
      #6188 - 04/16/03 02:25 AM
ConcreteAngel

I just want to thank you for all of your wonderful responses (and thanks queenie for the soy info) When the day comes, I'll probaly choose the soy boca. I mean if i choose the hamburger its almost guarenteed ill get d, if i choose the soy, theres a chance ill get d, but not guarenteed So I'll take my chances. Thanks again guys, it means so much that you care!

PS> Like queeenie said, i have probaly digested soy before wothout even knowing about it

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Edited by ConcreteAngel (04/16/03 02:26 AM)

Newest Update~Tonights the Night new
      #6348 - 04/17/03 03:17 PM
ConcreteAngel

Hey guys!
My mom finally is starting to understand and accepts the fact that i just cant eat ground beef. I convinced her that A) Ground beef upsets my tummy and B)I hate the taste of it
My mom is making cheesburgers tonight and gave me a choice of eathier Fish or Grilled Cheese for dinner. (she's not aware that milk bothers ibs, and i dont feel like trying to convince her about that right now, afterall it did take a long time to convince her of the beef alone) So needless to say, I chose the fish.
So praise the lord, no More ground Beef!!!! Hallejuah

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Re: Yay! new
      #6349 - 04/17/03 03:24 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

That's fantastic Angela! I'm so happy you're finally getting some support!

Thanks Mags, I appreciate your support -nt- new
      #6351 - 04/17/03 03:30 PM
ConcreteAngel

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#6353 - 04/17/03 03:33 PM
jrs

Reged: 03/31/03
Loc: Aberystwyth, Wales

Quote:

Jrs - what's the brand of burgers at TJ's? I go there about once a month when I'm in Modesto--a 1.5 hr trip for me because I live up in the mountains by Yosemite National Park. I've been buying Boca Burgers.

Sharon

The Champignon (mushroom) ones are the ones that I get. They're really quite tasty! They not made of soy (at least I don't think so), but just veggies.

Good stuff Angela -- it should make your life a little easier!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4261 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3437

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review