All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
what to expect from test results?
      #53025 - 03/22/04 11:38 AM
Bethany

Reged: 02/27/04
Loc: Nashville, TN

Well, I finally went in for some blood work this morning and also provided them with a stool sample. (my poor husband gets grossed out by all this stuff!!)

I am just wondering what I should expect and/or what I should look out for. I'm not sure what all is being checked in the blood work, but I think the stool is being tested for malabsorbtion. What if certain test come back positive. And if they come back negative, does that clerify that I simply have IBS?

Just a little curious. This is the first time I have actually gone for any tests. After having bloating, gas, D, and pains (which have subsided) for over 4 years... I figured it was time!! I guess I am not one who likes to be babied when it comes to that stuff.

Thanks guys!! I haven't been on the boards in a few days and I feel behind!!

--------------------
"Love isn't love, until you give it away!"

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: what to expect from test results? new
      #53060 - 03/22/04 01:20 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Sometimes stool samples are tested for parasites, which are actually incredibly easy to pick up and cause symptoms very much like IBS. It's also possible to have BOTH at the same time, but at least the parasites can be eliminated with antibiotics or something, leaving you only one problem to deal with instead of two, which is a good thing!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#53091 - 03/22/04 02:43 PM
Bethany

Thanks. I think I should hear something in a few days. Maybe then I'll know more and have either more questions or good news!!

Have you been feeling any stronger today!? Stick with it, we're all here for ya!

Thanks.

--------------------

#53260 - 03/23/04 08:10 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Bethany,
Thanks for asking, sweetie. I have good days and bad days, so it all depends on the day!! Today, so far so good. Yesterday was not so good. But I just take things as they come.

By the way, beautiful wedding picture!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#53265 - 03/23/04 08:20 AM
sherr1

Reged: 10/07/03
Loc: Southern, Calif

I agree with Laura on the parasites, But to let you know the stool samples can sometimes not give you the results they need to rule out particular viruses or IBS. I had stool samples done and everything came back negative. Continued the horrible DDD for another 1 month and several test later. The explanation was they couldn't catch the strain causing the Diahhrea. I did start out with the normal flu virus and this was the end result. My advice to you is if they get a negative result and go foward with more testing ask them to do another stool sample again if possible, because the strains are not always caught the first time. Meanwhile if your having a big D problem have you tried probiotics? I found them to be tremendously helpful. I hope all your results are quick and easy and the solution is good. Good luck. Sherri

LauraSue and Sherri new
      #53289 - 03/23/04 09:01 AM
Bethany

LauraSue, yippy - you're having a good day! Just keep on smiling and that will carry you through.

Sherri, what do positive stool samples suggest? I just want to make sure I am getting the most out of these tests. If the stool test comes back positive, do you have to have a colonoscopy? Yipes!! Just curious. I am so new to this whole test thing.

Thanks for the replies!!

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4547 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 665

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review