All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Exercise Help!!!
      #5285 - 04/07/03 05:35 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I need some motivation! I've been doing yoga...but that is my only source of exercise. A gym is not an option...and it's still winter here (so walking outside is slushy--and a BIG non-motivator for the moment). Are there small things I can do throughout the day to get me started? Anyone have stories about what got them started to encourage me? All help/advice/suggestions appreciated. Thanks everyone for always being here and for being so understanding!!!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Exercise Help!!! new
      #5288 - 04/07/03 06:08 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I know how you feel. We're supposed to be getting yet ANOTHER winter storm today. My favourite is walking - and I can't right now. It sucks. You might consider doing a little pay as you go stint to a gym so you can use their treadmills if walking is what you like to do.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#5290 - 04/07/03 06:45 AM
Lorna

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Ruchie,

Have you tried a stability ball? You mentioned that the gym was out - a stability ball is much cheaper and you can do your workouts at home! It's fun too!!!

Lorna

--------------------
Lorna

#5308 - 04/07/03 11:25 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - I used to stair climb at work and home. I'd put on the radio because the music would distract me, and I'd just walk up and down flights of stairs for ten minutes. I'd even set the kitchen timer - I figured I could make it through anything for just ten minutes, so that was an easy motivation. I also try to remember to get on the floor and stretch whenever I watch tv. It's not aerobic but it does get your muscles warmed up and limber and makes you more flexible, and I think it gets the GI tract settled too. And you're already watching tv, so it's not like extra work.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#5328 - 04/07/03 01:35 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

my fav. exericise is to roller blade! I love to a nearby roller rink and just skate for hours and hours (last time i went, i skated for 5 hrs straight!)
It really build your leg muscles, teaches you balance, reflexes, and really keeps the heart pumpin'!

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#5329 - 04/07/03 02:07 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Lorna,

Thanks SO MUCH for replying! I don't know what a stability ball is...if you wouldn't mind explaining, I'd be VERY greatful! Thanks again!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#5331 - 04/07/03 02:15 PM
Lorna

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Ruchie,

For information on stability balls, go to web page . They also have books on how to do certain exercises. You mentioned that videos were out I think? Anyway, the manual might be a good route to go. I have two stability balls. One to sit on at work and one at home for exercises. They are soooooooooo much fun! The exercises work on stability in the joints, etc. The one-legged squats against the wall are killer hard!!!

Enjoy!

Lorna

--------------------
Lorna

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 312 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 623

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review